• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Movies That Make You Cry

Guest CattalieChan

Movies can make me pretty sad but they don't make me cry.

Recently I watched Leon the Professional with some friends, and that made me really sad. It was so good though.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JenniferB

• Flint

• Carolyn Marie

• Milly

I am sure there are many movies, with powerfull moments that could bring me to the brink depending on my mood...

Babylon5 - In the beginning -

Edited by MaryEllen
Non transgender video removed per rule 26 of the site Terms and Conditions
  • 4 months later...
Guest BeccaC

There are so many for me.

Forrest Gump already mentioned but there are so many scenes...When Bubba dies right as he said, "I wanna go home", then his Momma dies, when Jenny dies.. But the worst two scenes that get to me is when he is telling Jenny about Vietnam, the desert, being on the water and she tells him that she wished she was there. When he simply replies You were.... OMG I'm tearing up now thinking about it.. and the other is when she tells him about little Forrest and he is trying to ask if he is smart...

Steel Magnolias already mentioned but its so boo hoo worthy to mention again.

Princess Bride at the end with the "perfect" kiss.

Regarding Henry, Harrison Ford... need I say more.

Cast Away, when he is finally rescued, to only realize he has lost her all over again..

Ok I'm a sap... I gladly admit it.

As far as TV shows the only two I remember is Jonny Carsons last Tonight Show, and Several episodes of Smallville (on top of a sap, I'm also a geek lol) the worst one though is where he had to bury his father...That's all I can put my finger on right now.

Guest MissSiul

I usually don't cry at movies,but I cried in those:

Titanic,the part were the people are running to the smaller boats,there are a man separating from his family,his wife and child crying and everything

Mama Mia,in the "Sliping trhough fingers" song,mother/child relationship changing trhought the time,makes me cry

Marley and Me,I liked the book better(I read it first) but I cried a lot in the movie!my throat was hurting and my eyes too.

Guest Sarah Marie

Same thing happened during the final episode of "Lord of the Rings," when all the people at the ceremony bowed to the Hobits in tribute.

I'm tearing up just thinking about that scene. Geez! wink.gif

Carolyn Marie

Absolute agree with that observation. There are multiple other scenes in the trilogy that leave me in tears, however, only the parting scene at the Grey Havens also really gets to me.

The final scene in Gone With the Wind also leaves me tears, as does the scene in Dances With Wolves where the wolf is senselessly shot & dies.

Interestingly, in both Field of Dreams and The Bridges of Madison County it is the Iowa countryside itself that leaves me in tears. Not tears of sadness, but tears of recognition and longing.

Guest PhoebeJoan

agree with Titanic, there are some stirring scenes in the film, like the one you mentioned. The ending is amazing as well, where the ship comes alive again and she joins all the nice, tragic people in her dream/heaven. So beautifully done. Say what you like about Cameron's blockbusters, but he really directs the hell out of them!

Terms of Endearment is a powerful tearjerker as well. When that youngest son looks back at his mum teary-eyed as he is leaving through the door, and nods, reassuring her that she was good in telling them, my heart just breaks. I almost cant watch that scene, I lost it completely.

There's a movie that came out on cable like 7-8 years ago called "Things behind the Sun" starring Kim Dickenson, Eric Stolz, and Don Cheadle. It's about a rock reporter doing the story behind an indy rock girls new hit song about her brutal gang rape at the age of 13 that she never recovered from. The rock reporter knows things about the rape, the victim, and the rapists, that have left him a shell of a man ever since.

This is a great movie, but it is really hard to watch. The rape scenes of the poor little girls in the neighborhood as well as their teenaged rapists cavalier attitudes toward them messed me up for weeks afterward and it probably will do the same to you too. But you'll never regret that you watched this movie.

From me to you,

Jada

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ney'ite

“The Notebook” (especially the ending)

“When Night Is Falling” (when I thought she was going to die in the snow)

Gawd, I would be here all day long remembering movies - LOL!

For many years, I was fighting my own emotions so hard that very few films could actually make me cry. Although I now may end up crying much easily, those few that managed to break through the façade are worth a mention:

First ever was The Lion King. Both the scene when Simba is trying to wake a dead Mufasa; and the part when Mufasa appears as a cloud to lecture his son were too strong for me to hold back the first few times I saw the film.

Another one that triggered some tears the first time was Million Dollar Baby.

And last, but not least (in fact, that's the first that came to mind when I read the topic title), there is one that gets me every single time I watch it: What Dreams May Come. It just gets so deep into my heart and soul. Ouch, just remembering about the film is already making me drop some tears ^^'

Hugs

Ethain

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Harle

Every time i watch Powder gets me every time, especialy the ending and Donnie Darko the whole movie is amazing, and the song at the very gets me everytime

Guest SKing

Most depressing in a non-cathartic way movie I ever saw was Grave of the Fireflies. The movie starts off rather sad. Then, our main characters undergo an entire movie of depressing hardships. So, as the end was unfolding, I expected the story to finally show the light at the end of the tunnel. It turns out that light was only the on-coming train, rolling through to make sure I had no tears left while it finished crushing my heart. Utterly depressing on every level. Absolutely a beautiful film, but horrifically depressing. It should come with a disclaimer, "Anyone taking Prozac, or other anti-depressants are warned that this could override your medication and send you into a fit of melancholy."

Let me see, movies that make me cry - name one.

Seriously, just about anything makes me cry, when a favorite character dies, falls in love, loses their love........just about anything.

I find myself crying during the credits if the music is right.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest erica970

Steele magnolias when after the funeral, Sally Fields character does the 10 minute monologue about being first to go. Gets me everytime!!!

Guest Guest_SL

Black Swan was mentioned.

The Kings Speech.

And about 75% of Lars and the Real Girl. The flower scene! Buckets!

50 First Dates.

Never Been Kissed, again buckets.

Guest Addy K.

Lets see: The Notebook, A Walk to Remember (so cried for like the last 15minutes of), The Patriot(when Heath Ledger's character dies and Mel Gibson's character shows up), Last Samurai are some of mine that have made me cry over the years.

Guest 101remington7

The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas is the first movie that comes to mind. I watched it a few monthes back and at the end, I was crying so hard. Its such a sad movie.

• 3 months later...
Guest Lady Anya

The following movies/short films move me to tears every time:

Big Fish- The end where the son is telling his father the story of how his life ends, finally understanding the father's passion for storytelling, and how everyone he ever encountered was there for one final farwell

The Snowman- The ending where the boy sees that the snowman had melted, and he takes a moment, ruling the previous night as a dream, until he pulls out the scarf that Santa gave him and realized it was all real, including the snowman who was now gone, and he kneels down to mourn the loss of his friend

Pleasantville- the part where Bud gives his boss a book of paintings he had never seen before and he responds with, "They're lucky to have colors like that, I bet they don't realize how lucky they are"

Rocky Balboa- Quite a few scenes really, the scene where he talks about the pursuit of happiness to the Boxing Commission, the speech he gives his son about "It's not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward", and the end where he's sitting in front of Adrian's grave after the fight and says, "Yo Adrian, we did it" and walks away

Instinct- The part where the doctor says goodbye to his patient, talking how how he has to go back into "the game"

Harry Potter The Deathly Hallows Part 2- The scene where Harry's going off to die at the hands of Voldemort, and he uses the resurrection stone to see his parents, Remus Lupin and Sirius Black to maintain his courage

Pink Floyd The Wall- The Comfortably Numb scene and The Trial scene

Rock Star- The end where Chris walks off stage to pursue his own music and his own spirit

Guest Maria_B

You know what movie had me bawling over in tears? (Besides the Whats Eating Gilbert Grape and Titanic I mentioned)

Precious.

The scene that always gets me (well two) is the ''But Momma, I don't wanna eat no more'' and when the Mum just does away with the baby.

Guest Chrysee

Okay. . .

'West Side Story', 'Shakespeare in Love', 'The Bridges of Madison County', 'Field of Dreams' (I never met my father), 'Sophie's Choice', Bette Midler's remake of 'Stella', 'To Sir With Love' (the film that inspired me as a schoolboy to enter teaching), Avatar, The Last Samurai (which was already mentioned).

I'll no sooner log off before thinking of others. I'll get back to you.

• 3 weeks later...