• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Emergency!!! Help Stop Zucker And Blanchard From Controlling Our Futures

Guest Leah1026

Guest Leah1026

I have a story that will affect all future transitioners. The American Psychiatric Association (APA) has begun the process of updating the DSM. It was last updated in 1994 and version 5 is projected to be out in 2012. However, preliminary indications don't look good. The APA released the names of people who will be involved with undertaking. Here is the list for group dealing with sexual and gender identity disorders:

http://www.psych.org/MainMenu/Newsroom/New...ases/dsmwg.aspx

Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders Work Group

Kenneth J. Zucker, Ph.D. (Chair) Head, Gender Identity Service Clinic, Child, Youth, and Family Program Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Irving M. Binik, Ph.D. Professor Department of Psychology McGill University Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Ray Blanchard, Ph.D. Professor, Department of Psychiatry University of Toronto Head of Clinical Sexology Services Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Peggy T. Cohen-Kettenis, Ph.D. Head of the Department of Medical Psychology VU University Medical Center Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Jack Drescher, M.D. Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, New York Medical College Associate Attending Psychiatrist, St. Luke'sRoosevelt Hospital Center New York, NY

Cynthia Graham, Ph.D. Research Tutor Oxford Doctoral Course in Clinical Psychology Isis Education Centre Warneford Hospital Headington, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

Richard B. Krueger, M.D. Medical Director, Sexual Behavior Clinic Department of Psychiatry New York State Psychiatric Institute and Columbia University New York, NY

Niklas Långström, M.D., Ph.D. Associate Professor Centre for Violence Prevention Karolinska Institutet Stockholm, Sweden

Heino F. L. Meyer-Bahlburg, Dr. rer. nat. Professor of Clinical Psychology Department of Psychiatry College of Physicians & Surgeons Columbia University New York, NY

Robert Taylor Segraves, M.D., Ph.D. Chairperson Department of Psychiatry MetroHealth Medical Center Cleveland, OH

Recognize a couple of those names? A couple of guys from the Clark in Toronto, Canada:

http://www.tsroadmap.com/info/kenneth-zucker.html

http://www.tsroadmap.com/info/ray-blanchard.html

This is NOT a positive development, especially Zucker being the chairman of this work group.

Please help prevent Zucker and Blanchard from dictating the future of treatment for all people born transsexual by signing the following petition.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/412001300

Make you voice heard, WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

• Root Admin

Yep. I signed it too.

MaryEllen

Guest Seth

You know how after you write your name, address, etc. there's a little box where you can write your own little...whatever?

Used all caps, baby.

Guest CharTo
You know how after you write your name, address, etc. there's a little box where you can write your own little...whatever?

Used all caps, baby.

lolol. *high fives*

that's the way to go :]

Guest GoldenKirbichu

Zucker is actually one of the therapists working on my case.

This is slightly worrisome if he decides to enforce his personal biases on me.

Guest GoldenKirbichu
GoldenKirbichu, if I was you'd, I'd dipset outta that.

I was a little misleading when I said that... he's overseeing it, but he's not personally working on my case. Which is reassuring. Again, I don't know how much his biases will impact my care. There's honestly no better alternative.

Guest Ryan

I signed it. This Zucker guy sounds ridiculous. What, is he living in the stone age or something? I mean, seriously. Whoever placed him in this position ought to be fired.

Guest Sheila
I have a story that will affect all future transitioners. The American Psychiatric Association (APA) has begun the process of updating the DSM. It was last updated in 1994 and version 5 is projected to be out in 2012. However, preliminary indications don't look good. The APA released the names of people who will be involved with undertaking. Here is the list for group dealing with sexual and gender identity disorders:

http://www.psych.org/MainMenu/Newsroom/New...ases/dsmwg.aspx

Recognize a couple of those names? A couple of guys from the Clark in Toronto, Canada:

http://www.tsroadmap.com/info/kenneth-zucker.html

http://www.tsroadmap.com/info/ray-blanchard.html

This is NOT a positive development, especially Zucker being the chairman of this work group.

Please help prevent Zucker and Blanchard from dictating the future of treatment for all people born transsexual by signing the following petition.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/412001300

Make you voice heard, WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

i signed this petition the first day i was a member. B)

Guest Sheila

Used all caps, baby.

right on

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hmm...i've been reading up on this Zucker guy a bit more. he's actually been on this commitee for about twenty years according to my research, he was involved with the DSM 3, DSM 4, and DSM 4 revised. according to what i've read he doesn't actually endorse reparative therapy, but he believes in waiting until the individual in question is 18 before starting on surgery or hormones, although, in some cases he will prescribe hormones before the age of 18. apparently there is another guy at the Clark Institute named Spitzer who is endorsing the reparative therapy, but according to my research (and my aunt who has worked at the Clark Institute in the past) Zucker doesn't believe in reparative therapy.

Guest Leah1026
hmm...i've been reading up on this Zucker guy a bit more...... according to what i've read he doesn't actually endorse reparative therapy,

He's using rationalization to deny he does reparative therapy. Because if you read the stories in the original post, or talked to people who were treated at the Clark, there is NO doubt that reparative therapy is exactly what he's doing to trans kids. You see he will cleverly say that he's "helping them accept their bith gender". Bull Hockey.

The APA renounced reparative therapy a decade ago and yet they condone what he's doing to children. Why? Because until recently nobody was there to advocate for them, to slap some sense into the APA. Gays and lesbians banned together to get themselves out of the DSM back in'74 and then pressed further until the APA denounced reparative therapy. As Ari Lev, an LSCW herself, points out in Transgender Emergence:

As has been shown, the DSM has a long history of diagnosing oppressed people with mental disorders.

Transsexualism is NOT a disorder, it is a naturally occurring biological variant. Zucker and others use the GID diagnosis to justify their unethical treatment of children. The problem isn't the children or us. The problem is SOCIETY and it's myoptic views in regards to gender and sexuality. The truth is many in the APA don't have clue about transsexualism. And rather than study it and listen to the patients, it's easier to follow stereotypes and political pressure to keep us under their control. Riki Wilchins in Read My Lips said the APA is the one with the disorder. One that she called "GenderPathoPhilia". Which is defined as:

1. An obsessive fear or need to pathologize any kind of gender behavior that makes YOU feel uncomfortable and

2. A dread disease that strikes 9 out of 10 American psychiatrists.

What they don't understand is we aren't going to take it anymore. It's not just about our treatment, it's about our Civil Rights. Like gays and lesbians in the past, we are organizing to throw off the APA's wrongheaded, paternalistic and achaic treatment of us.