• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Doctor Sabotage

Guest Chrysee

Guest Chrysee

Okay, I am an androgyne, but wanted the entire community to read this.Ii have mentioned before my upcoming hearing, but as i feel this is important, allow me to recap:

My Primary Care Physician referred me to a doctor acquaintance of his know very well for work in administering H.R.T. My insurance turned me down. Now my insurance is from the state, and they grant you the right to appeal, which I've done. I have a hearing coming up. Not as dramatic as something on Law & Order, it will be conducted over the phone but will include a judge as well as representatives from the state who do not (obviously) want me to win this.

I am allowed to provide 'exhibits' (documents, for instance, that support my case.) As well, for reasons that I wasn't clear on, a phone number and name was provided if I wanted to have an 'informal conference' regarding my case before the hearing. I did this and found myself talking to someone from the 'other side'. Interestingly enough, she seemed intent on finding a way that I could win! She even sent me a packet that includes the 'exhibits' that her side has to use against me!

Now one of my great hopes was to have some substantial evidence from my doctor to support me. Imagine my surprise when I found included in the 'enemies packet' a collection of Chart Notes from my doctor written after recent appointments. Even more surprising was the fact that he has been taking my case to a social worker employed in the clinic who has taken it upon herself to 'diagnose' me and include her findings in the notes!

Now I'd never heard of this woman, let alone met or even spoken with her on the phone.

One thing that has been going on since I came out is a certain amount of anxiety. (Am I the only one ever?) It has effected my sleep and caused me some breathing difficulties at night.

Now this is not copywritten, and I'm mentioning no names, but here is something that she wrote:

"If he becomes more stable with his mental health, is able to stop smoking, there may be resources for HRT in the future he can access on a sliding scale basis. Currently he would not be a candidate."

I cried. I called my doctor's advice nurse who happens to be the first person that I came out to, and we have been in constant touch. She is horrified and furious! I will be hearing back from her on Monday, after she's confronted the doctor.

Yes, I smoke. I also stated to my doctor that the moment a means of my receiving HRT is made available, I shall call about getting the patches. This she actually mentioned later in the Notes.

There's more, but the thing is I would have attended (on the phone) the hearing and walked smack into this hideous (and erroneous) testimony. The nurse That I mentioned knows of my recent anxiety, but assured me that I am not mentally unstable!

I am so angry!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for reading,

Chrysalis

• Admin

This is horrible, Chrysee. You owe that insurance staff person a huge thank you for providing all that material up front, giving you the

chance to refute it.

I think you need to make a major issues of the fact that this social worker who has "diagnosed" you has done so based on nothing more than hearsay from the doctor, and has never met you, and is therefore not qualified to render an opinion. They should disregard everything she had to say. If they do accept her notes and opinions, you should ask for a list of her qualifications and experience dealing with TG issues.

I wish you all the best at your hearing. I hope you get treated better than your doctor and this social worker have treated you. I would also consider changing doctors.

Carolyn Marie

Guest JustShelly

If he becomes more stable with his mental health, is able to stop smoking, there may be resources for HRT in the future he can access on a sliding scale basis. Currently he would not be a candidate."

I am not sure if this is the social worker or the Dr. that said this. If this is the social worker, she has absolutely no medical expertise to say both of these statements.

As far as your mental health,there isn't too many Dr's or therapists that will prescribe hrt until your mental health is in check.

My therapist was more concerned with my depression then my gid, sure I wanted to focus on my gid but I knew as well that I had to get control over my depression first. Even though I knew alot of it was due to my gid.

As far as smoking. I have read so many posts on here stating the risks of hrt and smoking. I am always amazed at how many on here have just been able to quit "like that" prior to hrt. Even with all the issues they may be facing.

I am either not that strong or I am the only truthful one.

I will not advocate smoking, it is disgusting, unhealthy, expensive, ages one and highly addictive. I have preached this to my children constantly. In saying that I would like to point out that there is no proof that any mtf that is on hrt and continues to smoke is at more a risk then a genetic female. Its actually quit the contrary.

I am amazed at the number of trans women on here that have been denied hrt by there endocrinologist or Dr. If this was the case there would be many genetic woman that would be denied they're hrt or even birth control. I will admit that if your Dr. did not inform you of the risks involved with smoking and hrt, I would consider them a quack.

Everyone that is currently on hrt (trans and gg) has a higher risk for blood clot, stroke and dvt among other things including death. If you do continue to smoke your risk is higher. The risk is highest in genetic woman that smoke. All genitic women (even if they don't smoke) have a higher risk for these to happen if they are on hrt. It is in there genetic make up. If you were born male, such as I. No matter how much hormones you take your genetic make up will stay male.

I am not writing this to say I condone smoking and people should'nt quit. I am writing this because it seems people get facts mixed up with opinions. There are safer alternatives to hrt if you continue to smoke. Yes the safest is quiting smoking, even if your not on hrt. For many, including myself, this is not easy to do. Yes I hate smoking as much as I love it, but with so much going on in my life, it is my drug of choice.

I will someday be a non smoker (hopefully soon) until then I will have to risk my health like many, genetic woman that are.

Shelly

• Forum Moderator

My question in all of this is medical ethics. At what point did this Dr. become empowered to discuss the case with someone outside the medical community? I would think the Dr. should obtain your permission to discuss your case even wit anoter Dr-but a Social Worker?! And obtaining a diagnosis without sharing it with you?

Then there is the issue of the competence of the social worker in making a diagnosis through a 3rd party as well as discussing a case with a Dr. which had not been authorized by the client. And putting it in writing in a medical file.

There are some serious breaches of ethics here that do not speak well of your medical provider!!.

I am so sorry this happened Chrysee It's just plain wrong. But I am glad you found out about it.

Good Luck on your hearing.

Hugs

JohnJ

Guest Chrysee

Thanks to all. Your support is deeply appreciated.

If the social worker was truly concerned about my mental state, then she never should have done this!

Luv to all,

Chrysalis

Guest Billijo49504

I'm new to the forum, so I'm not familiar to you. But if you have had counsiling, a letter from your therapist would be very good evidence. I wish you all the best and hope you win...Hugs Billijo

Guest Chrysee

I'm new to the forum, so I'm not familiar to you. But if you have had counsiling, a letter from your therapist would be very good evidence. I wish you all the best and hope you win...Hugs Billijo

I don't have a therapist, however. The social worker that I mentioned is a stowaway in my life.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Chrysee

I don't have a therapist, however. The social worker that I mentioned is a stowaway in my life.

Okay, it's me again. I had my hearing and have been rather isolated ever since, lost in my poetry and art work.

The procedure was not as brutal as I had feared. It took place over the phone, as I believe I mentioned before, and I must say that I felt silly sitting there at the computer (my usual place) with my left hand pressing the phone to my ear and my right hand in the air, per request, while I was sworn in.

The judge seemed decent enough. On the one hand, he wondered if my recent difficulties with anxiety attacks in the night that make me stop breathing and the rather substantial weight loss (nearly 20 lbs. and I'm a wraith to begin with!) wouldn't justify my receiving the treatment. On the other, he asked me why, if the doctor I wish to see volunteers time at a clinic on a sliding scale basis, I didn't just go there. Well. firstly, I didn't know that she (the doc, that is) did that when this began. Secondly, though she does that because she cares and. being transsexual herself, wishes to help. On the other hand, she has bills to pay and needs to eat and should, if possible, be paid for her services.

Best of all was the lady from the insurance company (the enemy, in the case of this hearing.) I mentioned earlier in this thread how helpful she's been. When the judge called on her to cross exam, she would not ask a single question!

Excuse me, but her job, her reason for being there was to tear me to shreds and leave the winner, and she never took a single swing at me!

I am still awaiting the verdict.

Afterwards, I took a cigarette break and then promptly called the insurance lady. Seemed funny, as I'd just heard her voice a moment before under such different circumstances. She was delighted to hear from me. When I asked if she'd passed on asking me questions to give me a break, she laughed, hummed and hawed a bit, but wouldn't cop to it.

Well, I know what I believe.'

God, I haven't posted or even dropped by in, what? over a week? Feels so good to be here!

Luv,

Chrysalis

Guest chngnwnd

Sounds promising Chrysee. It sound like the insurance rep. chose to act in accordance with her conscience rather tha the mandates of her company. Very nice.

hugs

Bobbi

Guest NatalieRene

This is horrible, Chrysee. You owe that insurance staff person a huge thank you for providing all that material up front, giving you the

chance to refute it.

Actually prosecution is required to share everything with the defense or else the defense could argue a mistrial.

Guest Chrysee

Actually prosecution is required to share everything with the defense or else the defense could argue a mistrial.

I rather wondered about that. After all, those years of watching Law & Order had to serve some purpose!

Thanks,

Chrysalis