Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Link

Plato's Symposium

4 posts in this topic

I'm reading Plato's Symposium for class right now. It's kind of well known for its evidence and support of pederasty (the ancient Greek tradition of intellectual and sexual relationships between men and young boys), but as I'm reading it, I've found something better.

In it, Aristophanes (the ancient Greek comic playwright) tells an etiological myth about how humans used to be. It's very odd and complicated so I recommend you read it, but the best part is that in his myth, humans originally were made up of three genders: male, female and an androgynous gender. Because he focuses on descriptions of genitalia, I think we would actually call his third gender intersex, not androgynous because it is a sex thing more than a gender thing.

Either way, it was awesome to see ideas like that at work in ancient Greece.

The entire piece seems like a great gender and sexuality critique. I recommend it to those of you who haven't read it.

I am glad you like the book. This just shows there has been others just like us since the human race began. I just wish in all that time we would be a part of society and not looked down upon. :(

Yes...that's just showing that our kind was known over the ages....

And in many societies we were revered and made important leaders and sought out for our advice...

Times have really changed, haven't they?

Donna Jean

I'm reading Plato's Symposium for class right now. It's kind of well known for its evidence and support of pederasty (the ancient Greek tradition of intellectual and sexual relationships between men and young boys), but as I'm reading it, I've found something better.

In it, Aristophanes (the ancient Greek comic playwright) tells an etiological myth about how humans used to be. It's very odd and complicated so I recommend you read it, but the best part is that in his myth, humans originally were made up of three genders: male, female and an androgynous gender. Because he focuses on descriptions of genitalia, I think we would actually call his third gender intersex, not androgynous because it is a sex thing more than a gender thing.

Either way, it was awesome to see ideas like that at work in ancient Greece.

The entire piece seems like a great gender and sexuality critique. I recommend it to those of you who haven't read it.

I have not read this, but I go to Project Guttenberg online and read free books, check

out the banned book section, there is a bunch, including Plato. I love Reading

READ TO DREAM