Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Masculinity

Being Transsexual Is Not A Sin

19 posts in this topic

Most of the transsexual folk ask this question all the time.. ''is being transsexual a sin?'' ...Absolutely NOT. I asked the priest/minister today when I went to church and in his own words,he made it clear that it's not a sin,if that's how you feel then it's not a sin,God accepts you the way you are transsexual or not,God doesn't discriminate against anyone...

He also mentioned how people today discriminate against everything like skin color,now transphobia ...transphobics say that it's a sin because they simply can't accept us transsexuals.

You know how you're supposed to accept the way you are? The priest told me that if I am transsexual I need to accept myself as a transsexual and not be ashamed of it...if that's how I am,if you don't accept yourself as a transsexual,you are sinning because that's how God made you.

Wonderful honey

I don't believe I have ever heard truer words spoken, you have indeed got yourself a very wise priest, believe his words. ;)

LUV

Jean

A sin can be defined as a moral crime. I don't understand how being transgendered or transsexual could possibly be immoral. A lot of the people I've come across who think that being transgendered is "wrong" aren't even religious. I'm pretty convinced that those religious people who think it's wrong are using their religions as an excuse for their reluctance to tolerate those who are different.

I fully agree!

Some people tend to lift passages out of the book without any context, which gives them a reason to be judgmental, while on the same hand the book also says that you should not judge. Only God can judge the contents of your heart.

You have found a good and wise priest, hon. Stick with him.

The bible has been used to justify every form of cruelty, bigotry and hatred known to humankind. There is much to be learned from

both the Old and New Testaments, and much beauty. Ugliness comes from the interpretations and misuse of the bible, by those who

hide behind certain passages to feed their hatred, persecution and prejudice.

Carolyn Marie

I think many churches believe that the sin is not being transsexual, but going through the process of transition is. I think they have a legitimate reason behind this belief. Most people would agree that going against what is natural for something different is less than ideal, especially when what is natural is a gift from a supreme, higher power. I guess what it really comes down to is what they believe about transsexuality: it's origin, purpose, and whether or not it's real. And since some churches believe that it has a normal origin and natural purpose, they believe there is nothing wrong with transition. Whereas the churches that believe it isn't normal and has an unnatural purpose, believe that it is wrong to transition. I don't think it's always due to hate. Sometimes it may be, but other times it is just due to a conflict in beliefs.

Whereas the churches that believe it isn't normal and has an unnatural purpose, believe that it is wrong to transition.

Ah, and there is the rub, April. Who gets to decide what is "normal" and what isn't? Someone whose ideas of normalcy are stuck in the 1st to 3rd centuries A.D., when most of the New Testament was written? No, I'm not leaving that up to those folks. Of course, there

isn't unanimity on the part of the various church hierarchies, either. So when several different bodies say they are each interpreting

the Word of God, who gets to be right?

I agree that not everyone who thinks we're sinners is evil or a hater, but they are at best ignorant and superstitious, in my mind.

The end result is the same; prejudice and discrimination.

Carolyn Marie

I don't think they're necessarily stuck in the first century. (What's wrong with the first century anyway? Is something bad because it's old?) I think they just have different values and beliefs. If a person were to go around saying that you are always born with your gender matching your physical sex, would he be stuck in the first century? (maybe I'm going too literal here). But my point is that is a common belief among a lot of people, and I don't think it's fair to call them prejudiced or discriminatory over that. I think it would be appropriate if they were acting in a way that really is discriminatory, such as condemning transsexuals or performing criminal acts. Now some people do this, but some people just hold that belief and treat transsexuals as ordinary people.

Well, from what I know is that Jesus always said to put faith in him and only him, not your church nor apostles nor anyone else. His words and his words alone is the key to his kingdom. Jesus NEVER said anything about sexuality, gender, gender-roles whatsoever. It is what people made of it: judging others in the wrong context. And that's the thing isn't it: it's not reading and believing, it's having faith. Faith! it's the only thing that people cannot take away from you, and it's the only price one pays. Pretty small price eh?

:D

Well I have always have a problem with the 'as God made us' arguements, although I will conceed I know the Creator made me like I am, and it was done for a reason. I don't know that reason and I was told I may never know exactly why until I touch the face of God.

My problem? People born with physical defects, or are mentally challanged. Another area I have a problem with in the 'God's will' part is those innocents who die horribly or suffer their entire lives. There are other instances that bother me greatly such as genocide natural disasters and plague... what is that all about?

I rationalize that the Creator sets the stage and writes the play. We just arent given the lines...

So are we made gender dyshoric for a reasn? That same argument would say if a child is born with no arms or legs, it is for a reason? I don't understand AND I just don't know. I am guessing 'possibly."

Are we allowed to CHANGE how we are born, at least the body... Well yes and no, within medical science apparently. Well discard those eyeglasses, suffer those defective teeth, do not rebuild those ruined faces of the kids with birth defects.

The Creator doesn't explain. Those who interpret God's will? Are they to be trusted?

Lizzy

I have never thought of it that way but your priest is right. God made us this way and who can say otherwise. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Thats comforting tbh. :x

I absolutely LOVE this post at the top!

Huggs

Donna Jean

I rationalize that the Creator sets the stage and writes the play. We just arent given the lines...

-Lizzy

Maybe those lines are what makes this so interesting. Imagine everything fixed, set. Would be boring.

I don't read religious books anymore, I found answers in my own heart over the years. And it's funny that the whole idea of a creator sounds ridiculous to atheists, but the very idea of existence coming into being just like that, sounds ridiculous as well. Sure, the universe indicates it has it's origin in a big bang, but maybe God initiated that big bang. Who knows. Because where did that big bang come from? what was before the big bang? see, nothing gives you a 100% correct answer: it's all about having faith. I mean, isn't it crazy that we are here, in this universe, on this globe, in this country, typing this message on a computer and that all came from absolutely nothing? then why is it here anyway if it has no reason? doesn't that contradict the law of least resistance?. I am stunned sometimes. :lol:

Organised religion has always been something I've steered well clear of, as I don't personally believe in a deity beyond that which you make for yourself, and the power of your own consciousness. But I have also built up a great deal of dislike not for practisers of such religions, but the leaders and followers who see fit to make sweeping, horrific statements about people of a different race, a different religion, a different sexuality, and of course those uncomfortable with their current gender.

Thankfully here in the UK we don't get religion shoved down our throats as much as in the good ol' US of A, but the horrible hate speech that the leaders of churches here in the UK have participated in are none the less hurtful...

It is not a sin to be who you want to be, it is not a sin to be born in the wrong body... if anything it is a sin on the part of any Creator that took part in such cruel madness.

Thanks everyone. :)

Remember...if God created you is because he NEEDS you in this world for a good reason,if God made you to be born a crossdresser,transsexual,genderqueer or any of the groups of the umbrella term it's because he wants you like that and needs another transgender in this world.

There are no mistakes if God made you a man inside a woman's body or vice versa...or even genderqueer,crossdresser,androgynous,etc. is because he said: ''We need a transgender [insert your name here] in this world,may [insert your name here] exist!''

Never prove me wrong,because this truth comes from that superior person with the best power in the world known as the priest.

I would agree.

While I myself, am not a Christian.. The concept of sin is irrelevant to me (no offense).. However it isn't this way for my father. (And maybe mother)

So Im hoping when the time comes that I tell them.. that my fathers pastor is half as wise as yours.

In the end, I don't believe that in terms of christianity it would be seen as a sin, (at least for me. I still find interest only in women.) However on the side of Judaism, I believe that their laws would conflict someone in transition.

I also love this post. I can remember when I was a little boy. When I would get up I would pray to god please god make me a girl. But nothing happened. I thought god must not like me. I have been praying this same prayer for years, then a few years back I started HRT. Then my prayer was god please let my body change and still not much happened and I thought god still doesn't like me. But after 3 years on hormone replacement therapy things did change and I suddenly realized my first prayer had been answered. My next prayer was god I l love you for finally letting me change and I promise to tell others about you and you still love them no matter how they were born. Now last night I went out as a female to a bar and a funny thing happened to me all of these men came up to me and said how beautiful I looked and when I told them I am transgendered they were amazed and said how did you end up so pretty. I then said god answered my prayers. I love you all and may god answer all your prayers.

Love Lillian