• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Transgender And You

Guest Cynthia Of Creation

I served, flew, bombed, and was aware of my gender long before that. I wish I could have transitioned while serving but we all know how that would have turned out. I graduated from the Air Force Academy and to transition would have totally shocked my peers into oblivion! LOL! The few I have been in contact with have stopped talking to me so their loss. I sent two emails telling everyone I know as a friend and family what I intend to do and no one replied.

Guess I got disowned? Or did I pwn them! LOL!

ciao!

• 1 month later...
Guest CarolynM

Never felt uncomfortable about wearing female clothes but there again I never advertised my orientation. I never let my orientation get in the way of my job but during MY time that was and still is MY time. Perhaps I have been lucky and been supported by my friends and family.

• 2 months later...

I knew I was a female at age 5 and was referred to a psychologist a year later. That was a disaster for me as it was 1961 and my psychologist was typical of the times. At around 12 years old in the middle of transistioning during puberty, I had a mini breakdown and tried self castration as a means of stopping puberty into a young male. That bought me a trip to the ER and referral to a psychiatrist. She just taught me to bury my feelings. I entered the Army straight out of High School to try and prove to myself I was a man instead of a woman. That didn't work and I took a referral to an Army psychiatrist who was on 90 day Active Duty. I took a big chance and talked to him honestly. I was severely depressed and suicidal. He helped me deal with my depression and helped to convince me that suicide wasn't the answer. Shortly after leaving the military, I went to school, met my wife and after 2 kids, kept my feelings buried. I can't do it anymore. If I could have come out in the Army without fear of a bad conduct discharge, I may have lived a different life. Now, I'm getting divorced and am no longer willing to put my feelings on hold because of family, friends and society's disapproval. I'm on my way transitioning into the woman that I want to live as. I've put my feelings on hold for parents growing up, the military, the family and finally the former wife. I'm free finally to be me. Katheryn.

Guest KarenLyn

I knew I was transsexual before I knew what transsexual was. I chose my name when I was 13. I joined the Marines when I was 17. I retired in January '95. I learned a lot in the military but I only learned to pretend to be a man.