Michelle 2010

Favorite Christmas Songs?

27 posts in this topic

Poignant seasonal song by John McCutcheon Christmas in the Trenches

Another beautiful anti war song John Lennon - So this is Christmas (the war is over)

Ok, I had a little trouble posting some of these but here a few more.

Beautiful song by Joni Mitchell -The River

Do you believe? Bruce Springsteen -Santa Claus is Coming to Town

Ok, I had a little trouble posting some of these but here a few more.

Beautiful song by Joni Mitchell -The River

Do you believe? Bruce Springsteen -Santa Claus is Coming to Town

Folkie Country Nanci Griffith On Grafton Strret

Folkie Country Nanci Griffith On Grafton Strret

How bout a soulful Beyonce-Silent Night

If you only listen to one song... The unrivaled Celine Dion- Oh Holy Night

Celine Dion doing Lennon's And so this is Christmas(the war is over). Incredible voice!

Nice harmony, instrumentation Coldplay-Those Christmas Lightshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOhWNZmsW_8

Mariah Carey All I want for Christmas is You

Don't care for holidays in general and Christmas more than the rest but it has nothing to do with belief or stuff but commercialization.

But if I'm pressed (And I'd have to be....) to name good songs, than Elvis' Blue Christmas is hard to top.

After that, the Joy to the World finish on the Allman Brothers, You Don't Love Me from the Live at the Fillmore album and the Chambers Brothers Little Drummer Boy fill in Time Has Come Today.

As a career soldier, I'll be Home for Christmas is the most difficult to listen to.

And so no one considers me the Grinch, best wishes to you all for whatever holiday you choose to celebrate and may the new year bring peace to our family. Most of all those in doubt and pain.

Love and Peace to you all,

Sara Lee

Wow! How to answer this one ... there are SOOO many truly great Christmas songs ... past and present. The true classic performances were done between 1940-1970, IMHO.

About 20+ years or so ago now, one particular singer did her very own Christmas song. To me, it is so awesome that it stands shoulder-to-shoulder with ANY of the classic performances of yore. In fact, only The Mormon Tabernacle Choir doing The Hallelujah Chorus (Handel) is as, or more, awesome than this song.

Here's the most stupendously-naturally-gifted singer I've ever heard, bar none. Play this on a really good sound system, turn it up, up, UP ... and prepare for an eargasm! God, I love this, and I love her:

Peace. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! wink.gif Lacey Lynne

Hate christmas music, sorry. Love Cannon and greensleeves, and somehow they always get played as christmas music, but most of it is just annoying.

Oh, Carol of the Bells is nice too. Definitely for christmas, but it's all just good music without all the other nonsense.

Partially uncertain about Christ, completely peed about capitalism, but even if not, most everything I hear at christmas is just nails on the blackboard.

The Miller Beer Commercial of about 25 years ago -'I'll be Home for Christmas', with a one horse sleigh, going through an iconic New England town, coming to a house quite lit up, and a simple Merry Christmas from the advertiser. Somebody actually got a seasonal ad with appropriate music and no pushy message, right. You can see it Here

More so than particular songs, I like the stylings - Andy Williams, the Ray Coniff Singers, Dean Martin. Of course songs like , Scarlett Ribbons' by Harry Belafonte which aren't specifically about the holiday, they hold a special place. Here. For a Christmas song by Harry that is seasonal, Mary's Boy Child - here

Also songs like the The Marvelous Toy by Peter, Paul, and Mary. Here

You only hear these at Christmas, and you can understand why.

Hugs

Chloe

Normally not into Christmas music in the least.

I do have a soft spot for these though:

aspen glow - john denver.

my dad and i always listened to his christmas album while decorating our christmas tree each year. mom left us so most of my favorite childhood memories are with dad. this one is about christmas.

they say that a boys best friend is his mother..... guess thats why im just daddy's little girl.

lol! Eliza D

I heard the absolute best holiday song ever at a concert tonight - the New Orleans Gay Men's Chorus sang "Jingle Bells" - to different portions of Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker Suite".

Absolutely unbelievable!

Love ya,

Sally

There is one Christmas song that will never fail to make me cry.

Silent Night.

Either English or the original German.

Preferably accompanied by guitar as it was originally written for.

My favorite artist to sing it is John Denver.

Mia

Merry Christmas, Kiss My A** by All Time Low

It's Christmas in Killarney by Bing Crosby... can't help it, I'm Irish and it makes me think of home round the holiday's as a child. That's the point isn't it? Music that is, to elicit a feeling. This is the feeling I want to feel round christmas, and it generates it nicely. -sigh- Miss being a kid. But ah well, how grand it feels to click your heels and join in on the fun of the jigs and reels.

Ha! I posted about 1 year ago, so I guess it's about time again. Every holiday season, I try to find some song that I've seldom heard but somehow conveys to me, anyway, my feelings about the time of year, something that just affects me more than other songs. Some years, I'm not so lucky, but this past season, I heard this song once, and began searching it out - Gesu Bambino which can found at

at www. youtube.com/watch?v=nChsp_KuCZQ&feature=related

or check out Heidi Joy's version which is in English

Hugz,

Chloë

Trans-Siberian Orchistra's Carol of the Bells. Beautiful song without words and it nicely wraps up the season for me

Christmas Wrapping - The Waitresses

It reminds me of the year I met my husband. :)

I love Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses. (I was truly horrified by the Spice Girls version, though.)

My favourite would probably be I Want An Alien For Christmas by Fountains Of Wayne. It may be a little bit silly, but I find it insanely catchy and can't help but sing along.

(Ooh. How many shopping days to Christmas is it now?)

Weird Al Yankovic "Christmass at Ground Zero" and "The Night Santa Went Crazy"

I'm not a big fan of the season so my fave songs are kind of twisted....

"The Twelve Days of Christmas." by Alan Sherman

"Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" by Elmo and Patsy

"I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" by Jimmy Boyd

"Nuttin for Christmas" by Stan Freberg

Oh yeah, I guess I'll throw in "I'll Be Home for Christmas." See, I like the classics, too! :D

Carolyn Marie

hard to pick just one song... you wanted one song?

Less than 3 months to Christmas! :o

Just one song???

Well, then it would be Feliz Navidad by José Feliciano.

Huggs,

Joann

Trans-Siberian Orchistra's Carol of the Bells. Beautiful song without words and it nicely wraps up the season for me

Couldn't have said it better myself! ^_^ The song make me want to rock out hardcore and at the same time its an epic Christmas song that doesn't annoy the hell out of me lol