• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Guest Elizabeth K

A Letter From A Believer To Another Believer

Guest Elizabeth K

Pinned here as this work by Emily Ray is the best letter I have ever read, explaining to a Pastor, why the recent sermon was not an appropriate interpretation of God's Will.

Slightly edited for privacy reasons.

Elizabeth Anne

Pastor John *******,

Today's sermon brought great conflict to me. In all fairness to you I am sure it was not your intention to cause this within me. I have had a long email discussion with Pastor Greg ******** at the office of the president of the EFCA. You and I met before last May only at that time my name was Brandon. I am a transsexual. For most of my life I believed that I was an abomination to God as described in the Old Testament. I lived a life detached from all of my family, my friends, myself! I believed as most Christians do that my desires to dress in women's clothing were wrong and the fact that I did on occasion cross dress brought immense shame and guilt that separated me from all that is good in this world. I was devoid joy, companionship, peace, understanding, authenticity. I was a shell of a being. While I was saved as a teenager I had none of the fruits of the spirit. I was alone on a desolate plain with no comfort in sight.

In my life I made extraordinary efforts to become a man that I believed God, family, friends, society, wanted me to be. I was given awards for my courage in high school and for my dedication to my country as a Marine. Everything I tried to do to become that man only increased the despair that I felt inside. After 10 years of gallant struggle I found relief in drugs. As we all know relief found this way only leads to further demoralization and for me, culminated in an attempt on my life. It took another year of treatment and relapse end further searching for the truth before I finally accepted that who I am is what God made me and that includes my sex/gender in-congruency.

The day that I accepted that I am a transsexual was the day I found peace in the Lord! He as gone on to show me the light that I need to live my life according to his will. You may say at this that I am mistaken in my understanding of scripture. But, I am not! No, it is the EFCA's and many other denominations that hold to an erroneous understanding. It is an understanding without merit. Through my discussion with Pastor Strand I learned that the belief that Transsexualism is a sin comes from a verse written about the human condition before the fall, when man and woman were separate. Also at this time there was no death and the animals laid down together. But, Man sinned and creation fell and nothing has ever been the same since.

Transsexualism is not mentioned in the Bible. If one takes the view that the cross-dressing mentioned in the Old Testament is a prohibition against it than I would not have the fruits of the spirit that are now apart of my life. I now can feel the Love of others and Love others. I now have Joy in my life and can share the Joy of others. Peace brings comfort to my weary soul. I am long suffering at the injustice of our fallen world. I can show Kindness to those I am in contact with. Goodness has replace the darkness that once ruled my life. Faithfulness to my Creator just as he made me. An image of His with both male and female parts. Gentleness in bringing the message of Christ to the hurting and broken. Self-control in staying free of illicit drugs and other negative behaviors.

The damage done by believing Christian transsexuals to themselves because of a mistaken belief that they are an abomination to God is terrible, worse though is the murders, beatings and other indignities brought upon us in the name of God It is beyond understanding. We who are gender variant did not ask for this! We do not choose to become the hated and despised. We gain nothing from a life wrought with uncertainty and destruction. We are made by God in a way that is Holy to Him. We do not live our lives to please others, to be something the culture or Christianity perceives to be right and worthy. We live our live to be honest with ourselves and those with whom we have a relationship.

I was never a "Real" man and I never will be a "Real" woman and surprisingly I am OK with that. I am a special kind of person that transcends genders. I now see that my gender variance is a blessing. You were born a male will live as a male and die a male. I was born a male will live as a male and a female and die as a female. I have the pleasure of being both a Groom and a Bride. I am a Father and hope to be a Mother. I was a Brother and now a Sister. I was a Son and now a Daughter. I was a Nephew and now a Niece. I get to experience a life like no Cisgendered person could imagine. You have no understanding of the concept of the Trinity, I have perfect understanding. No my transition is not a sin it is a gift from God that I will always cherish. Yes, society is progressing. They are beginning to accept us for what we are and that is not a bad thing.

If you care to challenge my understanding of scripture I would love to carry on a discussion over email, my address is ********

In His Name

Emily Ray

Guest veronicanickie

Hi Emily

I agree with you totally ! Those who damage us so greatly do not understand real Christianity and what the bible says in total. They love to go to the old testament and find a law or verse to condem us. Do they not listen to Paul when he says the old covenant has been replaced by a new and better one! Why would they try to drag us into legalism ? It is entirely true that we can be born again, walk with Jesus and live a spirit filled life. The transgenders that feel they can not, and God hates them have been deceived by sometimes well meaning mistaught believers. The fruits of His holy spirit living in your life is His stamp of approval. You are speaking and showing more love than many many of those who claim to be Christ like ! In so many churches today, why do they not honor the command that Jesus gave his disciples in the upper room ? Interestingly Jesus said three times this new commandment I give you, that you love one another as I have loved you. I guess he know he needed to repeat it to draw attention and importance to it.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior, He loves me daily, and I am transgendered !!!

Veronica

Markjvp

Thanks for this I’ve been questioning my gender for about a year now (but I’m still young) and well i think it’s going to help me soon by just reading this well I realized I need to suppress my feelings of being transgender or genderfluid for now because my parents just don’t accept it so (I’ve said this before but I’m really going to try now) I’m going to try to not worry about it till I can do something about it

VickySGV

There are churches who affirm us and respect us for who we are.  I myself belong to one of them, and I am recognized as an Out Trans person in my area (Episcopalian Diocese) and have been consulted by members of our clergy on dealing with Trans people.  You are not an abomination (the Jewish word this comes from means annoyance and not a major offender) just another totally human human being.  It will help you to be at peace with yourself if you see that.  You cannot cure that which is not sick.  You cannot change that which is beautifully and uniquely YOU as you have been made.  YOU are YOU and do what you can to be that YOU the best way you can find.

Markjvp

@VickySGV if that was mainly to me (for me it feels like it is) thank you and I do see that I'm human but I think I still need to just suppress the feeling of being transgende/genderfluie for now but not completely

VickySGV

@Markjvp  One better is to go ahead and let yourself feel the feelings and do not deprive yourself of how you can see the world.  However take the steps to come out slowly and no faster than you feel safe.  Think for a minute and you will get what I mean there.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 165 Guests (See full list)

• Carolyn Marie
    • Miseria
    • Tristantulaine
    • MetaLicious
    • lilyofthevalley
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

fashionRN
    Newest Member
    fashionRN

1. claire1000
      claire1000
      (69 years old)
    2. nikrs
      nikrs
    • MetaLicious
      That's where my fantasy takes me.  I'd love to keep "my" body, but just with XX chromosomes, and an appropriate puberty.   When I find my jealous of some ot the women in media, I have to remind myself that 99% of ciswomen are jealous of those women for the same reason!
    • Tristantulaine
      I have recently begun the process of speaking out what I have been struggling with for a good many years internally without knowing how to put it into words.  In part this is due to transgender friends telling me their stories and hearing bits of myself in them. Last night I had a good cry with my wonderful spouse who told me that he doesnt see me any differently.   So now I feel my experiences can be discussed so much more openly.  First some background.   There is a joke in our family that the force is strong with my dads genetics and on my is it ever.  All three of my dads biological children look like him, and I have a different mom then the other two.  My birth grandfather and dad look alike and his half brother is the same.   In essence I look...like...my dad.  I was born female but have always had this face that could pass for male.  Once as a teen in the hospital I was told by staff that I looked like a cute boy with my hair slicked back.  Now...that is unsettling for a whole host of reasons that I really dont want to get into here but suffice it to say I thought for the first time, what if i was a boy?  Am i cute as a boy?    I didnt experience dysphoria as a child, I just ran around and played in the mud with boys and girls and made up elaborate stories where I fought dragons in skirts and everyone cheered for me, the victorious  knight. Then they showed up.  And they just kept growing and growing till they are large enough that my doctor has spoken to me about top surgery without gender entering the question.  I hate them. Literally I have so much anger towards them I sometimes want to lock myself up in my room and cry.  I look at my androgynous face that looks like my dads and think of the times people have seen just a head shot and thought I could be male or female,  a boy in skirts or a girl in armor or something in between.  Then I look at this silhouette that no amount of binding can reduce.     I am happy with the in betweeness of my face and I am not particularly distressed with any other part of my anatomy, but the thought of caring the things around on my chest for the rest of my life and always looking like I am smuggling watermelons out of a grocery store makes me sick.     So this is where I am now.  I suppose it is as good a place as any to be in as far as my identity is concerned.  I think I am somewhere in between and I want to make my body look the way I feel. And I am in this moment now with acceptance and love for that.
    • Tristantulaine
      I think since it seems there is an interest there that it would be a really great idea!  My adult friends and I took my adult friend to one for her birthday once because she had never gone before and it was absolutely the most fun we have ever had.  I think you see things from a different perspective as you get older and aquariums are a great place to recapture some of the fun and innocence of childhood. Also someone who has always been supportive and willing to listen is probably the kind of person who would enjoy doing something more unique. And you can always get a plushy from the gift shop to snuggle.    I hope all works out for you! 
    • A. Dillon
      Yes, I actually do! I don't write in it daily, but whenever something important happens, I always add to my voice diary of my laptop. That way, I will also be able to hear the progression of my voice over time. For now, I can gladly say that months of training my voice has definitely lowered it quite a bit, and while it might not be exactly what I want, you can't knock progress! It is also more helpful than writing because you just set a time limit and say whatever comes to mind. Hearing your own voice really gives you a better feeling of exactly what you were going through in that moment, and a clearer picture in the whole. I have started crying before, and that raw emotion while you are talking with just yourself and the microphone is something that you can really look back on. It can be a tad more stressful, sure, but I find that there is much less pressure as you are just doing and saying whatever you want.
    • ToniTone
      I'm sorry she compelled you to do that. It's not fair... 
    • ToniTone
      I'm not really good about maintaining a journal. But I consider my thread here, Toni's Tale, for that purpose.    ~Toni
    • Jani
      Thank you all for your kind comments.  I did lay low for the better part of the day and evening.  I just got up to get a bite to eat.  When I'm not well I do tend to "forget".  Not good.      Again, thank you.  I'm feeling better already!  Jani
    • secondlook
      I have started a journal within the past week, it's helping me sort through a lot of complex emotions and thoughts. Sometimes I get overly fixated on a single thought and writing it down seems to help. 
    • TammyAnne
      Aiden, that sounds like a good outing. Zoos are good to. Be aware that the penguins smell awful, and it's a smell that you continue to smell the whole time (unlike many things that stink but olfactory fatigue sets in so it doesn't smell so bad). I think most aquariums with dolphins or killer whales do a lot of splashing the audience, so I don't how you feel about that. Could be fun.
    • Susan R
      Sounds like a great first date.  Dining on the first date is nice as you have each other to focus on but if you don’t  know the person then it can feel sort of like an interview getting to know the other person.  Having something else as the focus is great to alleviate any awkward silences during your time together.  The worst first date IMHO is going to a movie where you’re both passive observers with little or no communication until after it’s over.   I think the aquarium idea is good.  If the date is into it, why not? Good Luck, Susan R🌷  
    • TammyAnne
      Jani, I'm sorry to read that you've been in a bad way. I truly hope the medicine kicks in and you better very soon. It's so awful to not feel well. TA
    • TammyAnne
      After an soon-to-be-ex-wife went through dozens of volumes of my private journals - most of which predated our relationship - and began berating me about what i wrote, I burned them all. Have not kept a functional journal since, although I have tried many times to get started again. I have at least 5 bound journals with only the first 4 or 5 pages used, the rest blank. I doubt I'll ever be able to journal again, no matter how hard I try. TA
    • Aidan5
      I was wondering if it would be too cheesy to go to the aquarium for a first date?    Sometime this week I want to ask him (The guy who has respected me as a man since the very moment we met, and has probably been the most supportive friend I have had at school.) We are really close and I feel like I could tell him anything, he is always dropping hints on the possibility that he might like me.I have already decided that I like him and I am going to take my chances, he talked about liking sea animals, and I love the ocean so I thought it would be pretty cool to take him to the aquarium. Since he is still somewhat new to the area he hasn't gone yet, from what he has told me. If this goes well I might actually have a valentine for the first time haha.
    • Susan R
      Yes, I can see this happening.  I get it.   I had a similar fear when coming out to my wife.    She thought after 22 years together she knew all about me yet this HUGE part of myself hidden away from her and she never saw it despite all the hidden cues during that time.  Everything I did overtly pointed in the other direction.  The thought of her seeing the ‘real me’ for the first time was almost terrifying as possibly losing her.  I ended up using ‘pulling off the bandaid as fast as possible’ approach when telling her about my transition needs.  You may end up having to do the same thing with your therapist.  After the deed is done and the adrenaline drops a bit, I bet you will experience a huge breakthrough.  
    • TrIIIy
      It might have been a bad spot. I have zero experience with giving myself injections, so I probably messed something up. I will check in with my doctor and ask him.
  • Upcoming Events