• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

So If You Won The Lottery...

Guest sienna

Guest sienna

My numbers didn't match last night. Darn it! So, if you won the lottery, what would you do or buy? Let's say it wasn't a small lottery but a big one like 150 million. Being transgendered we may have a slightly different wish list in mind. What would you do?

Sienna

Guest Donna Jean

LOL.......

Charter an Airbus 800 and take 100 of my closest friends to Thailand for SRS..!

(Whether they wanted it or not!....lol)

Better luck next time, Hon!

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K

Grin! The obvious! And TOMORROW!

And I would ask 10 of my bestest transfriends and pay for their surgeries.

We could charter a plane! Party on the way - moan and suffer on the way home!

OR

Buy an old hotel - set it up to let the Transpeople who are abused, to be housed.

Stuff like that

OH MY

Lizzy

"UPDATE" - DANG - Dee the Jay is 10 times more generous But.. want it or not? WOW - I have some people I want on THAT list!

Wow, if I won the lottery I'd pay off half of my debts.

Love ya,

Sally

Even a small dream is a dream and should be cherished.

• Admin

I've thought about that, and along with the usual stuff for myself and my family,

I would put a couple million bucks into a trust fund, and the interest alone would

pay for 6 U.S. or 10 Thai SRS procedures every year for those who couldn't afford it. That would make me very happy. Ah, dreams....

Carolyn Marie

Guest sarah f

First I would have SRS with about 10 Friends so they can enjoy the pain with me. :lol:

Then I would set my kids up for life and their kids and their kids etc.. I would also make my mom and dad retire.

• Forum Moderator

Well I'd also want to set up a trust, not just for SRS but for emergencies like the kids who get kicked out and people who lose their homes and jobs over trans issues.

Then I'd transition and I'd hire a physical therapist and start traveling with a smart phone so I could still be on LP.

I'd steal my granddaughter to go with me and a tutor for her. We'd come home for birthdays and holidays.

Hugs

John

Guest Maria (Hilda)

I'd buy 7.5 million scratch n sniffs XD

But Def set up a housing estate for beaten and abused Trans (Particularly Youth).

... Then we can get into selfish things...

Like SRS x)

Then a whole bunch of strawberry gum.

First I would make sure that all my most important desires were taken care of first. I would get out of debt and make sure I would proceed to SRS.Next I would make sure I have a nest egg. Then I would make sure my closet family would be set for life (brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, and their children, all my grandparents and parents are deceased. All my grandparents were deceased when I was born). After that I would create an interest bearing fund to help those in my city support group (women or men) have the funds to transition up to the point of SRS. After that I would create a fund to allow those who can't afford to transition on Laura's Playground the opportunity to transition with emphasis on those who help others and further the cause. Then I would help those at work who really need the help. If I had anything left over I would give to those who are down on their luck but would give to society if given the opportunity.

Jenny

Guest 91curiouskitten

First, I'd buy anther lottery ticket >.>

Then teh obvious

Then youth shelters around the world! Sorry but a single hotel just isnt enough, what of those who cant get there? So, lotsa small shelters

Obvious trust fund

then, my own resteraunt chain so I can live off my money, not my lucky money! By the time resteraunts are succesful, rest of lottery goes into trustfund, so even more shelters even faster! ^^

Guest Robin Winter

LOL.......

Charter an Airbus 800 and take 100 of my closest friends to Thailand for SRS..!

(Whether they wanted it or not!....lol)

Better luck next time, Hon!

Huggs

Donna Jean

Can I be one of your 100 closest friends??? I'll bake you some cookies!! :D

I actually had the same idea myself, though it wouldn't be that many. Our lotteries usually don't get much higher than 20 or 30 million.

Guest Jo-I-Dunno

No surgeries. Not at first at least.

I'd have hair removed from everywhere except the top of my head and eyebrows and eyelashes.

I'd get a team of the best doctors, dietitians, and trainers to get me feeling healthy and energetic and my skin perfect. (I'm not overweight. I'm actually almost underweight. I just feel like crap most of the time).

Whatever HRT, diet and exercise can't do but I still want... THEN I start considering surgeries.

Trans-stuff aside, I'd build a ridiculously nice movie theater.

I'd find a way to mount a monitor on the ceiling above my bed so I could watch TV or use a computer while lying down, and I'd spend way too much money on computers in-general.

I'd also learn how to race cars.

Guest ChloëC

Ah, finally a place to put my thoughts on this

1. Change my phone numbers (and give the new ones out only to trusted close family and friends - maybe)

2. Get a p.o. box number

3. redirect most my mail there

4. set up accounts at various banking/savings/investment institutions including trust funds for my children (they will get some but not right away)

5. put my house up for sale

6. get a (trusted!!!) lawyer on retainer and get all my paperwork in order - wills, etc.

7. then and only then, come forward to lottery officials

8. pay off all debts

9. retire from public life to become a money manager - with exactly one client

10. hire a tax manager (at first until I learn all the ins and outs) to find a way to hide most my money like all the rich actually do (tax the rich? that's a laugh, and definitely not me!)

oh, wait, you want pie-in-the-sky dreams?

<sigh> <bigger sigh>

After the above, buy multiple condos or places around the country, maybe one offshore, move around during the year (I love skiing in the winter). Take classes in subjects I've dreamed about, maybe get degrees in some. Donate to charity. Go overboard with outdoor decorations at Christmas for one year. Hike the entire Appalachian Trail in one do. Travel to places I've only dreamed about like Europe, Asia, Africa, South America, Australia, Antarctica. Finish my pilot's licence with an instrument rating, join an aero club or actually buy a light plane (C182).

One final dream - dress as I please, where I please, when I please...because....

One my thoughts - We are all crazy, but only the rich have the where-withal to demonstrate it, the rest of us are too busy trying to make a living and/or raise a family.

Hugs

Chloë

Guest Blindheart

i must be an oddball, if i won the lottery i would try to keep it a secret from everyone. i would pretend like i got some not-so-fancy new job that required me to travel from time to time. i would get a house or an apartment that is relatively nice and beef up the security like Fort Knox and go there during the day or night and pretend it was my job. Once the ruse has settled in i would travel the country a bit, and see all the people and places i wish i could see now. along the way i would create anonymous gifts to people, creating a little bit of happiness, or fixing problems.

Guest ChloëC

Blindheart, actually you're not the only oddball! Look above at my first 5 (or 6) steps. They would all be done before I told anyone or came forward. And if that isn't doing the secret bit, I don't know what is. So, by the time I went to the lottery officials to collect, I will have half disappeared, then with the money I would go all the way.

The way I see it most winners are blinded by the huge sum not realizing that it doesn't matter how big it looks, it is still finite. The trick is to get going on making it last as long as possible, and that can only be done quietly. From what I understand, you never knew how many friends you actually had, until you have money that they want. Amazin', huh.

One thing that people do miss is that you almost always have to move somewhere else (unless you're already a survivalist!), because your old neighbors (and 'friends') will be looking for friendly largess and picking out any changes - which they will do regardless. Moving to a 'rich' neighborhood, for all your new neighbors know, you're 'old' rich (possible, but not likely) or new corporate rich (you made money through tech or wall street). And you don't ever tell.

For years, back in the 50's, my mother refused to get a Cadillac (which she could have done through connections), because it would have been out of place in the neighborhood we lived in, and she knew if she was 'inadvertantly' overcharged at local stores, she couldn't go back and ask for that dime or quarter back. Better to modest and frugal, than appearing wealthier than one really is.

Hugs

Chloe

Guest Cynthia Of Creation

3million my life set

house and car 1 000 000

sugery 100 000

other mtf stuff 100 000

clothing 10 000 to 50 000 (shopping spree with my friends and family only girl stuff)

games 10 000 (Set up my nephiews of course

vacation 50 000

neceseties 300 000

furniture 100 000 (not that i would need taht much i make stuff myself)

1 300 000 left

medical 500 000 (insurance replacement etc)

other 300 000 (stuff i forgot or toher like electronics or such)

extra justInCase500 000

7million for my family I have quite a large one, I would disperse it out properly so everyone

gets enouph to help them out financly.

which leaves exactly 140 000 000 left

5 million i would use to help transgender people i know. or people i know who could use really use it.

5mill for dontating (non transgender foundations)

30mill donating to transgender foundations (you know places that help transgender youth and people or indirectly deal with tg youth such as )

which now brings me down to 100 000 000

then i forget what is taxed out, so

the rest i would either try to do a safe home for tg people thing or some similar kind of foundation to help tg people, yes exclusively transgender people. there is a lot of lbgt stuff but they never focus on the t. Their maybe no i in team but thats what it seems they focus on is the I even though it dosnt exhist

Guest Alex Blitzen

Buy an old hotel - set it up to let the Transpeople who are abused, to be housed.

That is a great idea, I wish that there already was a place like that.

After someone wakes me up after I've fainted, I would pay all my bills. I would take care of my family members then sock away the rest.

Gennee

Guest Lacey Lynne

Well, a couple of things:

First, I'd help other transpeople. Two personal friends of mine from another transforum (one in England and one right here in Portland) have this great idea they call Transition House. It would provide food, shelter and support, long-term even, for transpeople kicked out of their parents' homes if they are young or booted out of their jobs if they are older. It would have some standards the residents would have to live up to. They are mellow standards that are designed to ooch these people to move on with their lives in a positive way. I'd set up a trust fund to endow Transition House and let those two friends run it.

Second, I'd establish and run a private equity firm whose sole intent would be to grow it's capital so as to continue to endow the trust fund for Transition House as described above.

Third, naturally, I'd pay off my debts, but that wouldn't take much.

Fourth, I'd set up a trust fund for myself to live off of. Thing is that I live simply. My lifestyle wouldn't change much except that I'd back my half-fannied job, move to a better locale and just live in a manner that is very simple but quite satisfying. No fancy anything. Don't want it. Don't need it.

Fifth, I'd fulfill a personal dream. In 2005, I discovered Caliente Resort & Spa in Land O' Lakes, Florida. God, how I loved that place originally. They ruined it with greed and seediness. I'd develop a resort that is a hybrid of what Caliente originally was at it's peak in 2005 (It opened officially in 2004) and L'cap de Adge in South France. I'd build and operate this place the way it should be done. I'd sell this lifestyle to the general populace and do so very successfully. Finally, I'd live there.

Aging hippie chick living a lifestyle that is a cross between the asceticism of the Mahatma Gandhi and the poshness of Caliente at her very own C.O. resort that is simply the best of its kind in the world. Yeah, I'd be a walking contradiction but a very happy one!

Hey, put on a Grateful Dead song, serve up a gourmet meal ... and pass the sunscreen, will ya?

B) Lacey

Guest TigerFoxMatt

150 million...

I'm too young for transitioning, but I'd put aside 1 million for future transitional plans.

5 million for other future stuff (college, house, car, etc.).

10 million for emergencies.

2 million for traveling. I want to see the world someday :)

Another 2 million for other recreation and personal use (clothes, electronics)

5 million to my friend.

Rest would go to multiple animal rescue and LGBT centers across the world.

Guest Fletcher

Where to start?

I guess I'd donate to my school, which is so underfunded that we once had to pretend a cork board was a mirror in science class and that the raybox wasn't broken (experiment conclusion: absence of light travels in straight lines and doesn't reflect off wood). I'd make it bigger and better and maybe open some clubs - soccer, hurling, drama and so on.

Then I'd start up a youth support centre close to where I live that caters for the entire county. Like a place where a kid could come and get support if they have problems with anything. I'd have to employ my own workforce because the government provided carers are often completely useless.

And onto personal stuff! I'd get myself a nice car, even though I won't be able to drive for another two years. I'd make sure I got a good university course in science. I'd also get a better computer and a totally new unisex wardrobe.

The remainder I'd put in a good savings account and use it to support my family and friends.

The lottery over here only gets up to €12,000,000 if we're lucky, though.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sleeping chrysalid

Well, a couple of things:

Fourth, I'd set up a trust fund for myself to live off of. Thing is that I live simply. My lifestyle wouldn't change much except that I'd back my half-fannied job, move to a better locale and just live in a manner that is very simple but quite satisfying. No fancy anything. Don't want it. Don't need it.

I don't mention this to too many people because they might think I'm crazy but that is exactly the way I think of money. I sometimes ask myself why I am pursuing the career that I am trying to get into when it pays more than I need. The answer is that I don't want to feel wasted. I have been blessed with certain gifts and I feel obligated to use them even though I do not need to. I have often pictured myself living in an apartment with a cheap car and cheap appliances while donating more of my salary to charity than I keep for myself. If I ever told my parents that I have thought about such a thing they would not consider it unlike me but they would definitly worry. One of their major fears is that I will get rich and let everyone mooch off me because I am too generous. It's kind of my funny when you think about it but I can understand. I might just be a big pump siphoning money out of big business and donating it.

If I won the lottery I would not know what to spend it on and I would probably give most of it away.

Guest Robin Winter

I've got 4 tickets for the 10M draw tonight (we don't have the huge ones you guys do, biggest I've seen was close to 50M, but at least if we win, we keep it all, no taxes!).

If I were to win, even just a few million, I'd get everything possible done to make me what I want to be as fast as possible. Surgeries galore! I wouldn't even leave the hospital, I'd just stay there in recovery til they could do the next one. Then I'd move to the other end of the country where nobody knows me and start my life over again.