Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Cowboy

The Name Game

Guest Cowboy

ok, so I was sittin here doin some research on my name (lol). Lookin up the meanings and all... and I thought to myself "self, this could make for an interesting game" so I gotta game for y'all -- what does your name mean? Not to you, but what does it actually translate to, and where did it originate from?

This can be your 1st and last, 1st and middle, or full name.

I'll start.

1st and middle name : Carson Drake

Carson is a name with Celtic roots. 1st used as a Scottish surname. Roughly translates into "marsh dweller"

Drake is a name with English roots (all the information on this name was kinda scattered. it's also associated with an Italian name "Drago") Translates into serpent or dragon.

So that makes me a Marsh dwelling dragon. lol, that's 'bout right.

Who's next?

CyndiRae

Good fun Cowboy,

Cynthia - Woman from Kynthos (Greek origin).

Ann - Gracious

That makes me the "gracious woman from Kynthos".

Paula ult

Cool topic Cowboy,

Paula - height of popularity was between 1940 - 1970 i was born in 1952.

Meaning - Small; humble

Origin is Latin.

Denise - again height of popularity was between 1940 - 1970

Meaning - God of wine; mountain of Zeus

Origin is Greek

Paula Denise

Guest MelissaC

Ooh, sounds like fun. Let's see:

Melissa - Bee honey, it's the name of a princess of Crete who was turned into a bee

Anne - Gracious

So... "The gracious bee princess?" Kind of silly but I like it.

Guest audrey michelle

i search up name meanings all the time!

audrey: noble strength [or something like that?]

origin: english

michelle: who is like God?

origin: french

soo im of noble strength and like God?

Guest Fletcher

Ah sure, why not?

A name I'd like to have is Ryan Fletcher, which translates to "young, royal maker of arrows".

According to the site, name-meanings.com, Ryan is a unisex name but I'm not too sure of that.

My current name is Maeve McHugh Jewell, which translates to "Goddess of song, son of Hugh, bountiful lord"

In Irish that'd be Maebh Nic Aodha Jewell, which means the same thing, except making me a "daughter of Hugh".

Guest JaniceW

This is funb, thanks Carson.

Janice: English origin means God is gracious. It is a form of Jane.

Carolyn Marie

One thing my research turned up, is the fact that no two web sites have exactly the same origin, so I guess I can pick which ones I prefer.

Carolyn: English version of the name Charles, or French origin, meaning "joy."

A different site says its of English origin, meaning "Little Womanly One." :)

Marie: French origin, meaning either "Sea of Bitterness" or "Star of the Sea." :D Guess which I prefer.

Thanks for the topic, Carson.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Avery F

First name: Avery. It's Old English in origin, and means 'elfin ruler' (I picked the name because I liked it, but the meaning was a bonus... jeez. I'm such a Tolkien geek).

Middle name: I haven't decided yet. One of the two possibilities is Sigvard, which is the Norwegian version of the Old German name Sigfrid, meaning 'peaceful' or 'victorius'. The other one is Sherburn, which is from Old English and means 'from the clear brook'.

I picked the names before finding out what they meant, so it's really just luck that the meanings turned out to be decent :)

Guest Reina

first name- reina meaning- peaceful queen origin- spain

last name- moncrief- meaning from or living near moncrieff

so the peaceful queen from moncrieff

Guest sleeping chrysalid

i search up name meanings all the time!

audrey: noble strength [or something like that?]

origin: english

michelle: who is like God?

origin: french

soo im of noble strength and like God?

I search up name meanings too! I don't do it all the time but on occasion. I've noticed that many of the sites with name meanings are built around helping people pick baby names and not just curiosity and this would make it awkward if I were caught on one of those sites at school. :lol: Imagine a person seeing me on www.thinkbabynames.com thinking, What has Adam gotten himself into now?

I'll give it a try with my current name and the girl name I like the most. I can not say my last name because then I would be giving away my full name.

Adam: I'm sure everybody knows about the famous bible story. The only meaning I can provide without stating the obvious is that Adam also means "earth". It is Hebrew in origin. I said this a while ago in a previous post but I still find it ironic that I was named after the first man when I do not consider myself a man at all.

It is a funny coincidence that I decided that the name I like the most is Laura before I even heard of this site. Laura is of Latin origin and it means "laurel plant". There was a time when leaves from the laurel plant were used to make crowns for heroes. It's relation to a crown makes it more suitable for a heroic girl with leadership qualities. It could also describe a great Queen. This does not describe me at all but I still like the sound of the name. I am too humble to be a hero or a Queen and I would make a better maiden.

Guest Gauvain

lol, I've spent hours just looking up what random names meant. xDD

Gauvain- A Welsh name meaning White Hawk of Battle. (Yay, awesomness! lol)

I'm not gonna state my middle name, but it's Greek for Moon.

Guest BrandonIThink

lol, I've spent hours just looking up what random names meant. xDD

lol I do that too XD

Brandon is English and it means broom hill....ok??

I don't have a middle name and don't plan on giving myself one at this point, but the last name I'm adopting isn't common and I can't find it online but I know it's Irish!

Guest seanjamie

This looks like fun :D

Ok well Sean - means God is gracious; gift from God

And Jamie- means Supplanter

Thanks for the game Carson ^_^

Guest Syamantaka

^_^ The name I choose, Syamantaka is Hindu/India. A magic jewel also called the

sunstone, protected the owner from harm providing the owner was of good character, and

vice versesy. :D

Guest sarah f

Here is what I found for my first and middle names.

Sarah

Sarah \s(a)-rah\ as a girl's name is pronounced SARE-ah. It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Sarah is "princess". Biblical: originally called Sarai, Sarah shared an adventurous nomadic life with her husband Abraham. She is described as being exceptionally beautiful even into her older years.

Michelle

Michelle \m(i)-chelle, mich(el)-le\ as a girl's name is pronounced mee-SHELL. It is of French and Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Michelle is "who resembles God?".

Guest Mina89

"Valerie" is a French/Norman feminine form of the Latin name "Valerius," which means "the fierce one." It's a little ironic since my best skills in a fight are hiding, strangling, and running away.

The other name I've been thinking about is Sabine. I'm not going to repeat the story behind this one, but it's basically the opposite of the meaning of Valerie. Weird. It's pretty, though, which is also ironic since I'm not.

I was thinking of using derivatives of these names for my first and middle name, such as Valerie Sabine xxxxxxxx, Sabina Valerie xxxxxxxx, or Sabine Valeria xxxxxxxx. The problem is making it fit with my last name (which starts with "Mc," has three syllables, and no one pronounces it right on the first try. Given my relationship with my family, changing my last name is also a viable option.

-Valerie, or Sabine, or something...

Guest Karen K

Good post.

Laura: femanine form of late Latin name Laurel. Laurel leaves were used in Greece to make crowns of victory, therefore= laurel-crowned

Jane: Hebrew femanine form of Jahannes (John) means: gracious

Laura Jane

Sally

Here is what I found for my first and middle names.

Sarah

Sarah \s(a)-rah\ as a girl's name is pronounced SARE-ah. It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Sarah is "princess". Biblical: originally called Sarai, Sarah shared an adventurous nomadic life with her husband Abraham. She is described as being exceptionally beautiful even into her older years. According to the Bible she became the mother of Issac at the age of 90.

Michelle

Michelle \m(i)-chelle, mich(el)-le\ as a girl's name is pronounced mee-SHELL. It is of French and Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Michelle is "who resembles God?".

I decided to use my Little Sister's research here as Sally is the diminutive form of Sarah and my middle name is also Michelle.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest CariadsCarrot

Gabriel it the name of an angel and means 'God is my might'

Raymond means advice or decision protector.

I knew the meaning of my first name coz I looked it up before choosing it as meanings of names are very important to me and I was always upset that when my parents named me the first time they just choose a name they liked the sound of without even checking the meaning, which turned out to be a pretty useless meaning. I only just found out the meaning of my middle name though. It's traditional in my family for a child to be given the first name of a relative as their middle name. My birth middle name was given after my mum but I don't want anything to do with my father so I'm not taking his name. I've chosen to take my grandfathers name for my middle name now coz I was always close to him and he was my only comfort as a child.

Gabriel Raymond

Guest Sabrina Esmeralda

Sabrina

Origin: Great-Britain

Latin name for the river Severn, meaning 'legendaric princess'

Esmeralda

Origin: Spain

Emerald

Leaving me as 'the legendary princess of emeralds' or something like that.

Well, I feel like a princess and I've got green eyes :P

Guest Donna Jean

Donna= A beautiful place with no money.....

Jean= A little bolt in a 1966 Vespa...

Guest Melanie Dawn

Melanie-The French form of the Latin Melania, derived from the Greek 'melas', meaning "black, dark".

The French spelling is Mélanie.

The name was introduced to England in the Middles Ages, but became popular in the late 20th century. This can be seen as a result of the publication of Margaret Mitchell's 'Gone with the Wind' in 1936, and the film version staring Clark Gable and Vivian Leigh in 1939. Melanie first appeared on the US top 1000 in 1938 at #981, in 1939 it was #939, and 1940 it had jumped dramatically to #484. It peaked in 1972, and is currently enjoying a slight resurgence.

This was the name of two related Roman saints of the 5th century. St Melanie the Elder was an early pilgrim to Jerusalem.

Dawn-Sunrise, daybreak

Guest Maria_B

First name: Maria.

One of my many Middles names: Laura.

Maria - Bitter Sea, Star of the Sea / Shining Star.

Laura - Crowned

Star of the Sea Crowned

The Sea Crowned what? O_o

Oh, Melanie, I love it. Darksunrise was actually a name of my warlock in WoW.

Love, Maria.

Guest Melanie Dawn

First name: Maria.

One of my many Middles names: Laura.

Maria - Bitter Sea, Star of the Sea / Shining Star.

Laura - Crowned

Star of the Sea Crowned

The Sea Crowned what? O_o

Oh, Melanie, I love it. Darksunrise was actually a name of my warlock in WoW.

Love, Maria.

Hehe, awesome!

Mel