• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Any Retro Gaming Enthusists?

Guest ametur_poet

Guest ametur_poet

Sure, everybody and their cousin had an NES growing up, but how many of you actually kept it around? I collect retro games as a hobby, and currently have a ton of different systems and games. I just think that it is ridiculous to think that just because a game is older that it somehow loses its entertainment value. I love exploring gaming's past, and showing pele that you can have just as much fun with old systems as you can with newer ones. Some of my favorite systems:

Sega Dreamcast

SNK Neo-Geo Pocket Color

Nintendo Gamecube

Sega Saturn

So, are there any other retro gamers here? What are your favorite systems? :)

I have the Atari Classic Game disk. It comes with Pong, Asteroids, Missile Command, Centipede, Gravitar (my favorite), and many other other arcade games. I also have the original Nintendo, although I really don't play those games anymore. The oldest retro game I'd like to get my hands on is Mattel Football from about 77.

Jenny

Guest Robin Winter

Sure, everybody and their cousin had an NES growing up, but how many of you actually kept it around? I collect retro games as a hobby, and currently have a ton of different systems and games. I just think that it is ridiculous to think that just because a game is older that it somehow loses its entertainment value. I love exploring gaming's past, and showing pele that you can have just as much fun with old systems as you can with newer ones. Some of my favorite systems:

Sega Dreamcast

SNK Neo-Geo Pocket Color

Nintendo Gamecube

Sega Saturn

So, are there any other retro gamers here? What are your favorite systems? :)

Yes and no. I don't have the actual systems anymore, but I run the emulators on my pc. I'm especially fond of the SNES, it had a fantastic selection of RPG's.

Guest April63

The first systems I came into contact with were the Nintendo 64 and Gameboy Color. I still have both along with the Gameboy Advance and Gamecube. I don't play them very often anymore, but I still think they are all good systems. They're much better than any of the current systems in my opinion.

Guest Blindheart

I don't have any idea where my original NES is, but i do still have all my games, controlers, and lightgun.

I also owned a Sega Genesis that i bought with my own money when i was little but i have no idea where it disappeared off too. I never found it as fun as my nintendo.

Also got a Game Gear randomly from an Aunt or Uncle but i dont remember it being very fun either. I think it's down under all the NES junk lol.

Got a Playstation 1 for Xmas back in '97, thats the last time i can actually remember being surprised by a gift. Gave it to my brother some years later and i think he lost it, or sold it... Its probably in the same place as my old NES is now lol

Despite all that loss I still have:

Original Game Boy

Super Nintendo

Color Gameboy

Nintendo 64

Gameboy Advance

Gamecube

Nintendo DS

Wii

PS2

PS3

PSP

Xbox 360

And they are all hooked up and/or ready to play at a moments notice :D

not sure the Xbox should count for me as a game console tho. i never wanted one, It just came free with the TV i wanted to buy a few years ago. dont think i have played any games on it at all... but it makes an awesome DVD player :P

I don't have any idea where my original NES is, but i do still have all my games, controlers, and lightgun.

I also owned a Sega Genesis that i bought with my own money when i was little but i have no idea where it disappeared off too. I never found it as fun as my nintendo.

Also got a Game Gear randomly from an Aunt or Uncle but i dont remember it being very fun either. I think it's down under all the NES junk lol.

Got a Playstation 1 for Xmas back in '97, thats the last time i can actually remember being surprised by a gift. Gave it to my brother some years later and i think he lost it, or sold it... Its probably in the same place as my old NES is now lol

Despite all that loss I still have:

Original Game Boy

Super Nintendo

Color Gameboy

Nintendo 64

Gameboy Advance

Gamecube

Nintendo DS

Wii

PS2

PS3

PSP

Xbox 360

And they are all hooked up and/or ready to play at a moments notice :D

not sure the Xbox should count for me as a game console tho. i never wanted one, It just came free with the TV i wanted to buy a few years ago. dont think i have played any games on it at all... but it makes an awesome DVD player :P

I can sure understand this. I have

NES

Gamecube with Gameboy and Gameboy Advanced Attachmen.

Wii

PS2

PS3 (with PS1)

Gamecube

PC

I rarely play video games anymore. I guess my age has caught up to me. The one console I will buy eventually will be Sega Genesis. That is because Road Rash is one of my favorite games.

Jenny

Guest UnicornGiggles

The oldest systems I own are a NES, SNES and original Gameboy. I used to live with a guy who had Ataris and Spectrums and all sorts. It's so funny playing a game via a cassette tape instead of a cartridge! And the loading time... wow. But Jumping Jack and Bubble Bobble and stuff like that are way more fun and have a better longevity than half the games now. Back then they were made to entertain, not be played and then tossed aside ready for the next version.

Grumble grumble, gaming rant over :rolleyes:

Guest Deandra

I used to play old games like nes on emulators, but it got kinda old. Probably due to most games not having the save feature. But the two older games i really liked were the Earthbound games.

Guest Cynthia Of Creation

NES

SNES

GENESIS

DC

PS1

BRICK (Gameboy lol, without color!)

those are just the ones i have or played a lot of

But i love a lot of the old stuff

Guest Robin Winter

Anyone remember the Turbo-Duo? It was, I believe, the first CD based video game system, and my god, was it ever slow. There was a fantastic RPG out for it though, and I wish I could remember what it was called.

Well My old Pong Game finally gave out and I haven't seen my Atari game system or Mattel's Intellivison system in years.

I miss Space Invaders!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest ChloëC

Look, here comes the elder, he talks floppy disks

As he would say, you're all wimps.

Retro, huh! Nothing beats the original Colossal Cave, the original Star Trek, the original Rats. All played on a TI thermal paper terminal (silent 700 or the improved 735) where the phone was cradled in behind it, at 300 baud. Now that took real dedication.

Ah the glory days of the old TI99-4A or Atari 800XL, a TV, and a casette recorder. What a life!

Hugs

Chloë

Guest Robin Winter

Look, here comes the elder, he talks floppy disks

As he would say, you're all wimps.

Retro, huh! Nothing beats the original Colossal Cave, the original Star Trek, the original Rats. All played on a TI thermal paper terminal (silent 700 or the improved 735) where the phone was cradled in behind it, at 300 baud. Now that took real dedication.

Ah the glory days of the old TI99-4A or Atari 800XL, a TV, and a casette recorder. What a life!

Hugs

Chloë

LOL, you got me beat, but in my earliest years I had a TRS-80, or more affectionately, the Co-Co 3 (color computer 3), by Tandy. I had to load all my games from a cassette drive on that too, with the exception of Dungeons of Daggorath, which was in cartridge form. I didn't always have the cassette drive though, and prior to that, if I wanted to play anything, I had to code the whole program in, line by line, every single time I turned it on. Now THAT'S dedication lol, especially for an 8 year old.

Guest ChloëC

Sort of a cool story here. When I got the TI99-4a for my family, it had a slot for cartridges. TI wanted all the money themselves so they wouldn't release the code for compatibles, that's why it died. But I bought the Assembly Language cartridge, didn't really get into it, but my 12 year old son glommed onto it and learned it - maybe 64k memory or less, you couldn't do much but he did it all. Anyway, we dumped that and I bought an Atari 800XL, lots more compatible games and programs, and an easy way to get into the 6502 processor, which he really learned, which was the precursor to the Motorola 68000 which Apple used, and he then knew the basic stuff. He's now a big time kernal programmer, but about twice a year Apple still calls him asking him to work for them.

Granted, maybe knowing the 10,000 or so moves in World of Warcraft won't get you hired, but if you take the time to learn what's behind it, there may be a future.

Hugs

Chloë

Guest ametur_poet

Anyone remember the Turbo-Duo? It was, I believe, the first CD based video game system, and my god, was it ever slow. There was a fantastic RPG out for it though, and I wish I could remember what it was called.

I'm pretty sure the game you are thinking of is Ys. I agree; it is a really fun game! It has a great soundtrack, too.

• 1 month later...
Guest Exeter

I'm too young to have had an NES or an Atari. My oldest system is a Super Ninentendo (still have it). But I'd LOVE to collect all the old systems and games! ^_^ I've played emulators on my PC, but actually having the real thing would be awesome. I'm a big retro enthusiast, in general, and dream of one day having a place and collecting all kinds of '80s stuff. :blush: ---> (I'm a geek)

Guest Megan_Lynn

They came out with a new concept a few years ago with a system called the FCtwin it has slots for both the Nes and Snes carts . I picked one up as my old Nes died years ago. What upset me is just after I got the FCtwin they came out with a FCtri that has slots for NEs Snes and Sega Genesis carts.I have always enjoyed the rpg games the best ,but still make sure I get each new year of Madden Football each year. Also nothing wrong with kicking some zombie butt in the ever popular Resident Evil series.

Systems I own are

Fctwin

Gameboy sp

Gamecube with gameboy player atachment

Snes with super game boy

PS1

PS2

PS3 with backwards compatability( plays PS1, PS2)

Wii

Guest quiet amber

I just torrent or dl games to me pc and play em that way. Snes all the way :) the nes is like the golden age of gaming and it only got better with snes, n64 was a godsend, gamecube was ok, wii meh. I do plan on gettin one :P im a nintendo nerd ;) omg off topic but the 3ds do want! *drools*

Guest CariadsCarrot

I still have my old black and white gameboy. Actually my teenage kids think it's dead cool which I'm surprised about. They keep asking to borrow it.

Also although I don't play it and am not sure I even remember how to set it up I still have my grandpas old BBCB. It was my first ever experience of computer games and I spent many a weekend with him painstakingly working our way through 'grannys garden' and 'repton'. Also spent hours on end on 'strikers run' (a war game which my grandpa DIDN'T like so much). I found a PC version of repton a few months ago when my grandpa died. It was sort of a way to honour the time we'd spent together. Again, my kids think it's awesome!

They should bring out more retro games for PC coz I think if they packaged them right there'd be a big market among the younger generation as well as us oldies who remember them from out childhoods.

• 2 months later...
Guest ladyamy

I used to play the old games on the ps1 and gameboys

personaly i always remember games like final fantasy 7, spyro and the oddworld games.:)

Guest SuperKali

I've had Atari, NES, SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, PSP, Gamboy (Original/color/advance/ds)

My favorite retro game was/is Metroid. What's cooler than getting to the end and finding out your player character is a woman!? :D

I also really liked Earthworm Jim and Battletoads.

I'm a bit of a retro gamer. I play a mix of the old along with the new, but I always appreciate a new game that draws its inspiration from the best of the classics.

Monster Tale for Nintendo DS is a relatively new game that draws upon Metroid.

Radiant Historia is another recent DS game that feels like it belongs between Zelda LTTP and Chrono Trigger.

Etrian Odyssey 1, II and III are all deeply based upon old vector dungeons and Wizardry. The Dark Spire as well.

DS and PSP have been a great source for these games. Enjoying the newer take on Street Fighter on 3DS along with Dead or Alive and Samurai Warriors, but a big selling point of the 3DS was indeed that I would still get to enjoy my DS games on it. That and a lot of old favorites getting the 3D treatment.

Guest Aly Kat

I like all the nintendo & sega games... zelda, mario, sonic, etc. etc.

Right now I'm playing donkey kong country returns & sonic 4 on wii and they're retro-tastic =) I'm not a big fan of 3d games... I like watching them, but not playing them -- weird? hahaa

• 8 months later...

I still have my dad's NES, along with a bunch of games (Like Monopoly! Why did they even make that?), and Nintendo's handheld consoles as far back as GameBoy Color. I think we have a PS1 around here somewhere too. I keep wanting to go back and play games I haven't finished yet.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Kate Lyn

Hiya

Im not as retro as most of you, our ealier console was an Atari not sure what it was called but had cart games, after that master system, megadrive, NES. and then saturn, PS1 and N64 and since my siblings and I have bought ps2's a few game cubes, and an xbox 1. i managed to find a dreamcast as our breif play of one was hailed as a good memory. but it died some time ago, still though speed devils :D Shemue!

Woot Dreamcast!, and Gamecube i loved them systems, currently i play xbox 360 alot as i dont have a tv and my net access is really restricted lol.

but im gonna list a favorite game on each of the consoles ive played. :D

Atari - SKate Boardin ( i think it was called)

NES - Duck Hunt because i sucked at Megaman, mario and them other ones.

master system- California Games

Megadrive(genesis)- SOnic the hedgehog 3

Snes- Supermario bros 3 (didnt play much of the games ont he snes)

Sega Saturn - Panzer Dragoon zwei

Playstation - Resident Evil 2

Nintendo 64 - Legend of zelda ocarina of time and Majora's mask, or Turok 2 seeds of evil :D

Dreamcast - Shemue! or resident evil code veronica

Playstation 2 - Metalgear solid 3 snake eater or SIlent hill 3

X Box - lol Halo (shhh i know but it was amazing back then!)

Game Cube- this one is HARD, so ill settle for Resident evil reborn, legend of zelda the wind waker, TIme splitters 2, Resident evil 4

Gameboy color: Pokemon red

Game Boy advance/sp, Legend of zelda minish cap.

current gen,

PS3 MEtalgear solid 4 guns of the patriots or Heavy rain ( not played uncharted yet, and God of war doesnt interest me)

the Wii, um either the Port of Legend of zelda Twighlight Princess, or the Resident Evil port. but i dislike the motion controls. too much arm ache :<

and as for Xbox 360: Mass Effect, MAss Effect 2 and recently Mass Effect 3.

PC games I loved World of Warcraft for a long time, well cept for TBC but I love Wrath of the lich king xpack and some of Cataclysm but i dont play pc anymore.

lol sorry for the essay