• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Does Anyone Regret Their Srs?

Guest oogie292

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drea

• Svenna

• Paula ult

• VickySGV

Guest Elizabeth K

You may not get responses. This site isn't really populated with a large population ofpost-operative transpeople. There are enough to matter, and bless them for staying with us who are working through a difficult time, the questioning, the discovery, and the transitioning.

BUT those with 'regrets?' I mean SRS is not a magical solution for one's problems, but those with 'regrets' in the way you suggest, would be unlikely to be at a support site. This question should get a response at Susan's Place or at Beginning Life, where there are more post-op people.

My opinion.

Lizzy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kelise

I have regrets. I should have gotten the upgrade model with the 10-speaker HD radio soundsystem, bluetooth, the nav system, and leather interior.

No seriously, my only regret is not doing it sooner.

Guest MonikaC

I have regrets. I should have gotten the upgrade model with the 10-speaker HD radio soundsystem, bluetooth, the nav system, and leather interior.

Whoa... I need to look into the advancements they've made with SRS!!

:huh::blink:

Monika

I have 69 days till my surgery but i feel the same way, i guess the time was not right .

BTW i am getting the deluxe model with all the bells and whistles.

Paula

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

No thanks! I don't want my hoo-hoo acting like a speaker for my cell phone.

"Liz, did someone just say hello from your.."

"It's nothing! Nothing. Stupid device I thought I turned you off..."

Guest N. Jane

Emotions? For me the emotions immediately post-op was simply one of tremendous relief and contentment.

It had been a long hard struggle fighting my way to surgery. I grew up in the 50's and 60's so the ignorance and lack of understanding was unbelievable. Every step was a major war and it took all my strength and all my cunning to keep it all together and keep progressing even when it looked like progress was impossible. In the last few years before surgery, in my early 20's, it seemed like I could go no farther and my life hung by a thread for years with suicide as an ever-present danger. In 1974 I found Dr. Biber and was off to Colorado.

When I woke up from surgery and realized that it was complete and that I was alive I slept the most wonderful sleep ever knowing that my life was now my own and I was complete.

Quiet frankly I didn't think about it much after that. I was ME, the way I was always supposed to be, everything fit, and I just got on with life.

Guest 91curiouskitten

Whilst you may see there are few if any who regret it, I cant remember the name, but I remember a while ago,. theres a T.V special about TWO MtF Post-ops, who had the surgery reversed ((Not sure how)) they were born into money, hit the actual phase that is jsut a phase, regrettd it, reversed it, it has a full bio of the two people, along with itnerviews of their family and such things. I'll try to find it, its a good lesson, learn what can happen if it turns out, oops, I was wrong, better safe then sorry, learn everything while you can! ^^" gunna try n find it

• 10 months later...
Guest Donna Jean

Lynn Conway has a nice lil' collection of some examples.

Yes she does....and look at some of the reasoning behind it.....

Lynn Conway says:

Some examples of "wrong reasons" and wrong situations for undergoing SRS are (i) efforts to become a center of attention and live a "sexy life", (ii) thinking it will "automatically turn oneself into a woman" in others' eyes, (iii) deciding to become a woman on a whim (for example, in the midst of a mid-life crisis), (iv) doing it for autosexual "thrills", (v) doing it while suffering from preexisting serious mental conditions unrelated to GID (depression, bi-polar conditions,...), etc.

Regrets and adjustment difficulties seem to occur especially frequently in the cases of older intense crossdressers and sexual fetishists whose drive to transition is based primarily on male sexual feelings and habits.

Most have no regrets if done for the right reasons.....

Christine Beatty says:

Out of approximately a hundred thousand transsexual people who've successfully completed transition, a handful of "former transsexuals" have launched well-publicized crusades against transsexualism. Doubtlessly these few vocal cases feel foolish about their ill-considered decision, but instead of taking responsibility they claim they were "deceived" or "misdiagnosed" and they condemn the entire process for everybody.

Figures show that less than 6% have regrets.....

Dee Jay

Absolutely no regrets. It was always the right decision to make. Does it make life easy street? No, but I'm happier, look people in the eye (something I could never do before), & can look in the mirror & feel good about myself. I wished I had followed my heart at age 17 as I had started to. Still it's a win/win.

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely no regrets. It was always the right decision to make. Does it make life easy street? No, but I'm happier, look people in the eye (something I could never do before), & can look in the mirror & feel good about myself. I wished I had followed my heart at age 17 as I had started to. Still it's a win/win.

That is what we like to hear! lol..:)

Guest Kitty_Babe

If I had any regret it would be that I never did it sooner. I went through mine in my late 20's, I originally started "coming out" when I was 18, But because of circumstances going on in my family, was not really able to find the freedom to go through with the life style changes I wanted. I don't think I unique in that case, I believe there are many Transsexuals in that kind of situation with less than understanding families who won't support them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sarah B

No grieving and definitely no regrets whatsoever and I certainly did not lose anything. In fact I gained far more than I ever did. I gained peace, contentment, including a clarity and a focus on my life that I never had before.

One year after having my epiphany (1988) I got my hormones, I changed my name and basically the next day I was working full time. So for me there was no transition, there was no RLE. I would have had surgery the same day if it was possible. No, I never had or suffered from GID (the term or terms where not around when I had surgery and the definitions are a contradiction in terms). No, I never was suicidal. No, I never had any gender problems. In February 1991 I finally had my surgery.

I walked in to the hospital on the day of my surgery and I never gave what I was doing a second thought. Better still I could not wait to get on to the operating table and in fact they asked me if I could get on to it myself and I said yes without hesitation and this was after an epidural was given and just after surgery, which was early on in the evening and the second time I woke up from my surgery, I felt a peace and contentment that I have never had in my entire life up to that point.

I only ever had surgery for one reason and one reason only and this needs to be explicitly stated, I had surgery so that I could function as any other female in society. I have never ever regretted what I have done and to this day if I even think of what I had once sickens me to the core of who I am and I thank my lucky stars that the surgery is totally irreversible.

Do you ever get the feeling I most certainly did not have any regrets? Yes you are right, I never had and I will never have any regrets. Well just between you and me I may have had a ‘little regret’, not pushing hard enough to get my surgery done earlier, being totally ignorant of the process of what was going to be done to me and of course the obligatory, “I wished I had done it sooner”.

I have no regrets and my surgeon did a wonderful job, considering that the operation took place over 21 years ago. I will always be grateful to my surgeon and doctors who took care of me and gave me the life I have now.

Warm regards

Sarah B

Guest Leah1026

Im curious to hear from a few people who got SRS but regret it for whatever reason.

I have known around 1,000 trans people over the years and I have only known of ONE person who regretted surgery. She has lived full-time for more than 7 years and had SRS some 5 years ago, but reports things have never felt right since. She is currently researching reconstruction options.

Guest NatalieRene

I don't have any regrets but the recovery from the operation was difficult for me. After about a month the physical pain was gone.

I think back about being preop and it feels like a dream now.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Pamela5

I am so very happy. I waited way too long and that is my only regret. I knew all my life I was female and tried to fight it, hide it and ignore it. I finally faced up to my GID and never looked back. When I finally had SRS I felt so free and wonderful; I cried tears of joy and have been at peace ever since. I hope all you girls get to experience what it feels like to look in the mirror and see that awful penis replaced with the proper vagina. I know several other girls who have had SRS and they feel the same way I do. Our journey is long and difficult but the requirements pretty much insure you will not regret your decision. It is so good being physically the person you are mentally. I hated being a man and I love being a woman.

Pam

Guest Donna Jean

SRS....*sigh*

I'm about to cross this bridge......

Am I wondering if this is for me? Heck no...It IS for me!

I've been waiting for this my whole life.....

I'm crossing this bridge .....I*'m happy and excited.....

Dee Jay

Guest Michellewhois

SRS....*sigh*

I'm about to cross this bridge......

Am I wondering if this is for me? Heck no...It IS for me!

I've been waiting for this my whole life.....

I'm crossing this bridge .....I*'m happy and excited.....

Dee Jay

Dee Jay

First off, CONGRATS on the impending bridge crossing! And remember to keep us in the loop as to how things are going with you afterwards.

BIG HUGS

Michelle

Though the OP has not been on in over 6 months, for those coming across this topic in the future, when i first posted i was 69 days away from surgery, today i am 11 months post-op, everything went as expected and all the parts work as advertised, the best part for me is that noise in my head went away immediately after surgery as did the dysphoria, and i totally agree with Kelise.

Out of the hundreds of post-op women i know, only one regretted having it, she lives in another country and felt she was pushed into it by friends and medical professionals, I have known several people that were not satisfied with their surgery, mainly because of complications and being non-orgasmic.

Paula

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Roxanne

Im curious to hear from a few people who got SRS but regret it for whatever reason.

I have known around 1,000 trans people over the years and I have only known of ONE person who regretted surgery. She has lived full-time for more than 7 years and had SRS some 5 years ago, but reports things have never felt right since. She is currently researching reconstruction options.

That would be me.

Guest kelise

That would be me.

Are you saying you're the one who regretted it? If it's not asking too much, please elaborate!