• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Carter L

Just A Question On Hrt Timing

Guest Carter L

Hey, guys.

So, in the HBIGDA (current version 6), it says this:

Adolescents may be eligible to begin masculinizing or feminizing hormone therapy as early as age 16, preferably with parental consent.

Now, I've been talking to my doctor and she says there's nothing she can do in the way of hormones since my parents won't give consent. But here, it says preferably with parental consent. Does this mean there's a way around that? Does anyone know about a situation in which parental consent would be ignored/bypassed? Sorry if this seems like a naive question, I'm just curious.

-Carter

Guest silverpetals

Hi Carter. The Standards of Care are really guidelines more than rules, and as such it's pretty much down to the psychiatrists discretion. I don't know if you'd be able to find a psychiatrist who'd recommend you for hormones without either parents' consent, but I suppose you could ask around to find out what their policies are, if you know of any near you.

I'm not sure how it is in the US, but in the UK if you go private then the consent of one parent is often fine. I don't know of anyone who would prescribe HRT with neither parents' consent though, unless the patient wasn't living with their parents, or in care or something. I'm sorry...maybe someone else would be able to help more?

The thing is, in theory there are always ways around the Standards of Care, but there isn't really any way around what your psychiatrist/doctor is and isn't willing to do. Hope you find a way though.

Guest BeckyTG

Hey, guys.

So, in the HBIGDA (current version 6), it says this:

Now, I've been talking to my doctor and she says there's nothing she can do in the way of hormones since my parents won't give consent. But here, it says preferably with parental consent. Does this mean there's a way around that? Does anyone know about a situation in which parental consent would be ignored/bypassed? Sorry if this seems like a naive question, I'm just curious.

-Carter

Carter,

Do you have a letter of recommendation from a therapist experienced with Gender Disorders? If you're going to cite part of the SOC, you need to adhere to all of it.

If so, does your therapist have any ideas?

In my opinion, therapy is the most important part, because the changes from hormones can be devastating and all due care should be exercised before you start. Read some stories of those who started, then found out they were mistaken. It's terrible.

If you have that backing, perhaps there are drugs that might inhibit your development until after you do reach 18 and can give your own consent.

Becky

Guest Donna Jean

That's right......

Without a therapists letter reccome3nding you for HRT, very few doctors will prescribe for you, regardless of age...

Have you seen one yet?

Good luck, Hon....

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Carter L

Thanks, everyone, for the insights. In regards to the last two posts, I'm not saying I'm trying (I haven't even seen a non-gender therapist), I was just curious as to what sort of situations parental consent wouldn't be required (not for myself, just a curiosity...raised by psychologists and all, I'm all curious about people). I'm assuming an emancipated mature (16+) minor would be exempt from parental consent, and other similar situations (orphaned and self-sufficient, parents unable to make proper decisions because of disabilities, etc.). Thanks, though, guys.

-Carter

Guest Elizabeth K

Two years will not make a huge difference, although I suspect you will disagree. There are usually no short cuts unless you show NOT transitioning is a life threatening situation, healhwise.

Lizzy

Guest JazzySmurf

Hi Carter,

I will forward this question to the gender therapist who supervises my trans-support group, who specializes in trans-youth issues, and I will repost here when I get a suitable reply. In meantime, I suggest that you reach out to the Trans Youth Family Allies at http://www.imatyfa.org/ for further support.

Have a wonderful day.

Heather

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   11 Members, 0 Anonymous, 75 Guests (See full list)

• QuestioningAmber
    • Carolyn Marie
    • ThatDarnDodo
    • Cyndee
    • Dana Michelle
    • Joslynn
    • Jandi
    • MaryMary
    • Shay
    • Jackie C.
    • Jani
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

thetundrawolf
    Newest Member
    thetundrawolf

1. Leo S.
      Leo S.
      (24 years old)
    2. Madi
      Madi
      (31 years old)
    3. Matty
      Matty
      (30 years old)
    4. MelisssTN
      MelisssTN
    5. ToniTone
      ToniTone
      (34 years old)
    • ThatDarnDodo
      Productivity? Never heard of her. 
    • Carolyn Marie
      Welcome to Trans Pulse, Sasha.  I won't be much fun to talk video games with, but I can manage some General Nonsense.  😆  Please look around and post where you like, and if you have questions, we're good for that, too.   HUGS   Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      Thank you, Shay.  We have a wonderful team here, and actually, I feel it's more akin to a family.  But its all the members, past and present, who make this place truly special.   HUGS   Carolyn Marie
    • Jani
      @Robin  You've mentioned that previously.  Thanks for the photo, so cool.  I understand Geddy Lee is a big collector of Negro League Baseball memorabilia.  Neil Young is into train sets. I remember when he joined a group to buy Lionel when they were in trouble years ago.  
    • Bri2020
      WHat an awesome day! Congratulations.  
    • ThatDarnDodo
      Thanks for the welcome, Jackie. This seems like a pretty great community so far. 
    • Jackie C.
      Dangit, I think you just killed my chances of doing anything productive this week.   Hugs!
    • Jackie C.
      Salutations @Groucho! Welcome to TransPulse!   I've often wondered what it's like to have the weight of billions of other... in your case, let's go with men for now... behind me. I get jealous of how effortless it is for a cis-woman to be feminine. I'll see a woman and think, "Well, she's dressed like a slob and doesn't take care of herself, but everybody still sees her as a woman." Meanwhile I work my butt off with vocal lessons, watching how I walk, dressing to emphasize and de-emphasize certain unfortunate features and I still feel like I'm walking a razor's edge. Just one step to the side and it's back to, "Look at THAT dude." Don't get me wrong. I'm finally comfortable in my own skin. I wouldn't trade that for anything. Still, sometimes in a moment of weakness I'll get all bunched up about how much easier things would have been had I not been born trans.   In any case, read, look around and ask questions. I hope you find what you're looking for here!   Hugs!
    • ThatDarnDodo
      I love farming simulation games like Stardew Valley and Rune Factory. I dunno what it is but there's just something about farming pixelated carrots that draws me in. Verdant Valley is another farming life sim I recently bought and I'm kind of in love with the character creation in it. Instead of asking for gender, characters refer to you using neutral terms and you're given the freedom to deign your character's in any way you want. Masc, femme or a mixture of the two and if you ever get bored of your look you can change it any time. There's also romance options in the game: Five men, six woman and one nonbinary.    https://howlingmoonsoftware.itch.io/verdant-skies
    • Groucho
      44 years old and happily monogamously married and always identified as cishet male. Recently had discussion with trans friend where she asked "How do you experience your gender identity" and I said a bunch of stuff and she said "Well your experience of gender doesn't look much like mine, nor does it look like other trans girls I've talked to about it. But I don't know much about the non-binary experience, and maybe you're in there somewhere." I thought "Wow, if that's your take on it then the revolution in gender is truly coming". Found this site. Just curious to learn and explore, even if only to be a good cis ally.
    • Shay
      another younger band I really like is Dawes and especially the lyrics of this one.    
    • Shay
      THAT is totally cool. I know Tom Hanks collects typewriters and Jim Fox (drummer in the James Gange with Joe Walsh) collects car license plates - but this beats them and is so cooool. 
    • Robin
      One of my hobbies is collecting vintage vacuum cleaners. I have more than 100 in total, dating from the 1920s to the 1980s. Here is a picture of part of my collection.       Robin.
    • KayC
      Happy to hear you're progressing so well, Kylie.  Thank you for keeping us updated❣️
    • QuestioningAmber
      @Jackie C. I used to write campaigns for D&D. I lost my way I feel, it is something I have interest in picking up again, I even picked up a set of core rules for v5 I think it was. Now I just need to come up with a story arc and then get a group together.
  • Upcoming Events