• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Just A Question On Hrt Timing

Guest Carter L

Guest Carter L

Hey, guys.

So, in the HBIGDA (current version 6), it says this:

Adolescents may be eligible to begin masculinizing or feminizing hormone therapy as early as age 16, preferably with parental consent.

Now, I've been talking to my doctor and she says there's nothing she can do in the way of hormones since my parents won't give consent. But here, it says preferably with parental consent. Does this mean there's a way around that? Does anyone know about a situation in which parental consent would be ignored/bypassed? Sorry if this seems like a naive question, I'm just curious.

-Carter

Guest silverpetals

Hi Carter. The Standards of Care are really guidelines more than rules, and as such it's pretty much down to the psychiatrists discretion. I don't know if you'd be able to find a psychiatrist who'd recommend you for hormones without either parents' consent, but I suppose you could ask around to find out what their policies are, if you know of any near you.

I'm not sure how it is in the US, but in the UK if you go private then the consent of one parent is often fine. I don't know of anyone who would prescribe HRT with neither parents' consent though, unless the patient wasn't living with their parents, or in care or something. I'm sorry...maybe someone else would be able to help more?

The thing is, in theory there are always ways around the Standards of Care, but there isn't really any way around what your psychiatrist/doctor is and isn't willing to do. Hope you find a way though.

Guest BeckyTG

Hey, guys.

So, in the HBIGDA (current version 6), it says this:

Now, I've been talking to my doctor and she says there's nothing she can do in the way of hormones since my parents won't give consent. But here, it says preferably with parental consent. Does this mean there's a way around that? Does anyone know about a situation in which parental consent would be ignored/bypassed? Sorry if this seems like a naive question, I'm just curious.

-Carter

Carter,

Do you have a letter of recommendation from a therapist experienced with Gender Disorders? If you're going to cite part of the SOC, you need to adhere to all of it.

If so, does your therapist have any ideas?

In my opinion, therapy is the most important part, because the changes from hormones can be devastating and all due care should be exercised before you start. Read some stories of those who started, then found out they were mistaken. It's terrible.

If you have that backing, perhaps there are drugs that might inhibit your development until after you do reach 18 and can give your own consent.

Becky

Guest Donna Jean

That's right......

Without a therapists letter reccome3nding you for HRT, very few doctors will prescribe for you, regardless of age...

Have you seen one yet?

Good luck, Hon....

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Carter L

Thanks, everyone, for the insights. In regards to the last two posts, I'm not saying I'm trying (I haven't even seen a non-gender therapist), I was just curious as to what sort of situations parental consent wouldn't be required (not for myself, just a curiosity...raised by psychologists and all, I'm all curious about people). I'm assuming an emancipated mature (16+) minor would be exempt from parental consent, and other similar situations (orphaned and self-sufficient, parents unable to make proper decisions because of disabilities, etc.). Thanks, though, guys.

-Carter

Guest Elizabeth K

Two years will not make a huge difference, although I suspect you will disagree. There are usually no short cuts unless you show NOT transitioning is a life threatening situation, healhwise.

Lizzy

Guest JazzySmurf

Hi Carter,

I will forward this question to the gender therapist who supervises my trans-support group, who specializes in trans-youth issues, and I will repost here when I get a suitable reply. In meantime, I suggest that you reach out to the Trans Youth Family Allies at http://www.imatyfa.org/ for further support.

Have a wonderful day.

Heather