• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Carter L

Just A Question On Hrt Timing

Guest Carter L

Hey, guys.

So, in the HBIGDA (current version 6), it says this:

Adolescents may be eligible to begin masculinizing or feminizing hormone therapy as early as age 16, preferably with parental consent.

Now, I've been talking to my doctor and she says there's nothing she can do in the way of hormones since my parents won't give consent. But here, it says preferably with parental consent. Does this mean there's a way around that? Does anyone know about a situation in which parental consent would be ignored/bypassed? Sorry if this seems like a naive question, I'm just curious.

-Carter

Guest silverpetals

Hi Carter. The Standards of Care are really guidelines more than rules, and as such it's pretty much down to the psychiatrists discretion. I don't know if you'd be able to find a psychiatrist who'd recommend you for hormones without either parents' consent, but I suppose you could ask around to find out what their policies are, if you know of any near you.

I'm not sure how it is in the US, but in the UK if you go private then the consent of one parent is often fine. I don't know of anyone who would prescribe HRT with neither parents' consent though, unless the patient wasn't living with their parents, or in care or something. I'm sorry...maybe someone else would be able to help more?

The thing is, in theory there are always ways around the Standards of Care, but there isn't really any way around what your psychiatrist/doctor is and isn't willing to do. Hope you find a way though.

Guest BeckyTG

Hey, guys.

So, in the HBIGDA (current version 6), it says this:

Now, I've been talking to my doctor and she says there's nothing she can do in the way of hormones since my parents won't give consent. But here, it says preferably with parental consent. Does this mean there's a way around that? Does anyone know about a situation in which parental consent would be ignored/bypassed? Sorry if this seems like a naive question, I'm just curious.

-Carter

Carter,

Do you have a letter of recommendation from a therapist experienced with Gender Disorders? If you're going to cite part of the SOC, you need to adhere to all of it.

If so, does your therapist have any ideas?

In my opinion, therapy is the most important part, because the changes from hormones can be devastating and all due care should be exercised before you start. Read some stories of those who started, then found out they were mistaken. It's terrible.

If you have that backing, perhaps there are drugs that might inhibit your development until after you do reach 18 and can give your own consent.

Becky

Guest Donna Jean

That's right......

Without a therapists letter reccome3nding you for HRT, very few doctors will prescribe for you, regardless of age...

Have you seen one yet?

Good luck, Hon....

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Carter L

Thanks, everyone, for the insights. In regards to the last two posts, I'm not saying I'm trying (I haven't even seen a non-gender therapist), I was just curious as to what sort of situations parental consent wouldn't be required (not for myself, just a curiosity...raised by psychologists and all, I'm all curious about people). I'm assuming an emancipated mature (16+) minor would be exempt from parental consent, and other similar situations (orphaned and self-sufficient, parents unable to make proper decisions because of disabilities, etc.). Thanks, though, guys.

-Carter

Guest Elizabeth K

Two years will not make a huge difference, although I suspect you will disagree. There are usually no short cuts unless you show NOT transitioning is a life threatening situation, healhwise.

Lizzy

Guest JazzySmurf

Hi Carter,

I will forward this question to the gender therapist who supervises my trans-support group, who specializes in trans-youth issues, and I will repost here when I get a suitable reply. In meantime, I suggest that you reach out to the Trans Youth Family Allies at http://www.imatyfa.org/ for further support.

Have a wonderful day.

Heather

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 147 Guests (See full list)

• Aidan5
    • MaryMary
    • ShawnaLeigh
    • Violet_R
    • Sunckey
    • Lucca
    • AdriannaB
    • secondlook
    • Dakota16
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Katelynn sarah myers
    Newest Member
    Katelynn sarah myers

No users celebrating today
    • ShawnaLeigh
      I believe you need to use what ever your legal name and designation are on record.  More so for payroll, taxes, retirement saving, etc.  It would be perfectly fine to include your chosen name as long as it is explained as well.  You don’t want to appear like your hiding anything either.   jmo
    • Miseria
      Breathe life into this topic of poetry I think it was in September of 2018 when i first submitted my poems here... I have been away for a while I would like to see more poetry and will make my contributions💗
    • Aidan5
      I just made a deal with him...   since I didn't give him his "Birthday kiss" I said he sould kiss me on my birthday and he made me shake his hand! Lowkey excited and nervous at the same time. I think he is just gonna keep dropping hints, because today on the bus he kept complaining about how he was single haha. He wanted to see who had bigger hands and turns out he did >:0 He put his head on my shoulder again and my heart is going to explode AAA He was really close to my face the whole bus ride so I put my hands on the sides of his face and we both turned away in awkwardness. AAAA
    • Aidan5
      I will be your friend!! I aa a 16 yr trans guy
    • Jennifer T
      Ooooooooo...  I like this!   ”In Red I Wait”   In the mirror She stares back In-recognition, searching   In red I wait Beneath swelling clouds Ominous, foreboding She arrives We ride   In familiar rhythmic silence We glide  By field and wood Fauna disturbed momentarily   Interstate In streaks of red and blue Corpulent silence I am alone   “Are you angry?” Aberrant, pensive Issues parturient As vultures to a kill..   “No.” My only reply.   - Jennifer T, May 9, 2003
    • BEAN_CHILD
      14 yr old trans dude looking for some friends!
    • Jennifer T
      Then the effects of the poison will slowly and certainly wane.  Embrace the beauty that resides in the heart. 
    • Jennifer T
      You are welcome @Miseria. The greatest hope that is ever have through the words I write is that another will feel.    Thank you you for expressing this.  And I pray that you find the beauty in life to feel all that is good and lovely as well as the sorrow.    Peace
    • luke_b
      I usually stick with a hoodie and pants to be safe (hoodies always have been my safe space), but I find that layers usually can balance things out if I'm feeling dysphoric, so jackets and flannels over shirts, or short sleeve shirts over long sleeve shirts (very e-boy style). To be honest, men's pants don't really fit me (the damned female body) so I found jeans called "Levi Strauss Signature", which give me hip room while avoiding the tightness that women's jeans have. Of course they are black jeans, because I live almost entirely in black/monochrome clothing, but they come in normal jean colors as well. For shirts, I legit went to the Target or Walmart men's section and found shirts there, they come in some cool, generic prints, but fit really well. My favorite hoodies are a size or two larger than I am, from Champion, Under Armor, and other brands that make hoodies. I've sorta built up a collection, and I don't think that any of my friends have seen me wear anything else. For shoes, I'd go with vans, even though they are expensive, because the men's shoes fit my tiny feet without making them look feminine. But just like Dillon said, I'd also go to goodwill to find affordable things.
    • Jackie C.
      We actually have one on the main page. It's a bit out of date though.   Hugs!
    • Laura76
      Will there be a page with a glossary of terms?  With terms and meanings changing, it is a challenge to keep up on the latest jargon.
    • Jackie C.
      A lot of that depends on where you live. Some states have protections for trans people (mine does not). Some cities might also have specific ordinances to prevent discrimination (again, none of that here). In the rest of the US, it's totally OK to discriminate against us in jobs, housing, etc...   Personally, I'd wait until the interview instead of putting it on my resume. A sort of, "Hey, my legal name is X, but I'd prefer if you called me Michelle. I'm trans and will be transitioning on the job."   Hugs!
    • Rowan
      Hi Michelle! Welcome! Around here, you'll find that there are tons of us with similar stories as yours. You aren't alone. My therapist was absolutely essential to my journey, and coming out. Hopefully, yours will be just as helpful. I hope to see you around more. Once again, welcome.😊😊😊
    • Jackie C.
      Salutations Michelle! It's good to meet you.   Congratulations on the superficially kind and loving family! Mine is spiders all the way down. A lot of us hit a wall where we can't hold down the need to be our true selves anymore. Coming out to your family, especially when you think one or more members might be hostile, is one of the biggest hurdles we get to face early on. Usually. We still haven't told my father in law. I've been myself in front of him, gone shopping with him, slept on his couch and made him breakfast for Father's Day, but we haven't told him. I have no idea what he thinks. Sorry about the hair. I got alopecia for my 39th birthday. If nothing else we cal talk about wigs. 😁   Welcome to the site! We're a friendly bunch. Poke around and don't be afraid to ask questions. Mind the rules of the site. You'll find us to be accepting and supportive community.   Hugs!
    • secondlook
      I don't know that my employer is anti-trans, but I know that management is right-of-center. I don't believe they'd be foolish enough to fire me once I reveal that I am transitioning, but I also can't see how I can have any future in a company that is never going to be comfortable with me. So I'm going to apply to some LGBT-friendly companies now, in the hopes that I can find a welcoming work environment. Most of my waking hours are spent at work, after all!   My question is, do I use my current professional name on my application materials, even knowing these are LGBT-friendly jobs I'm applying for, or do I use my soon-to-be-real-name? All of my work history is publicly available under the old name. I'm applying for the kinds of jobs where employers are going to look me up, and if they can't find me, that's a problem.   I had one idea, which is to offhandedly mention that I'm transitioning in the cover letter, not making a big deal of it, and then sign at the bottom with my old name, followed by "(aka Michelle)." Or is that too weird and convoluted?
  • Upcoming Events