• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Removing Hair...down There...

Guest x--Felica

Guest x--Felica

I shaved last friday but i couldn't get all of it it was prickly and i kept nicking myself, it was horrible. I have been ichy and prickly, with bumps and in grown hairs. Just terrible. should i keep shaving, or try waxing or something else.?

Guest Tara Ann

I got bad results when I first started shaving down there too, I was using a razor. Eventually I switched to using a Philips Bodygroom electric razor which I use to shave everywhere below the neck. On the negative side it doesn't provide the closet of shaves, but on the plus side it doesn't irritate me down there. I'm even confident enough with my bodygroom to shave my thing itself.

Guest Elizabeth K

Oh my! If you dislike the pubic hair growth I strongly suggest reducing it by cutting it short - do not shave. There is just too much danger of infection and it is horrible to have that short stubble.

People don't realize it but under-arm and genitalia area hair is a lubricant of sorts, in two of the most motion prone areas of your body.

And are you ready for this? If you insist in getting a clean, smooth area? Depilate. Talk about pain! But it works best. After the HRT has done its work, under the arm hair growth is minimal. A mechanical epilator clears it out for about a month.

OUCH

Lizzy

• Admin

Nasty but important subject. I did as Lizzy suggested - used a scissor to cut the hair as close as possible, then a razor for the rest. But getting it completely removed that way seems nearly impossible. I don't want to push my luck and end up badly nicking myself, so I leave a lot.

Not satisfactory, but the best I can do. Epilate?? Not for me, thanks anyway. ;)

Carolyn Marie

I used to wax my whole body myself... I would spend one whole day or two half days doing it... it took a lot of strength and deep breathing to get up the courage to pull the strips off of my arms, legs, etc... but waxing there was extremely painful. Not on any of the delicate parts themselves but all the hair growing around. OUCH! I highly reccomend leaving some hair there and not trying to get a clean shave. I have, unfortunately, very thick curly hair on practically every part of my body (except my head), so I take it down with scissors or an electric clipper that leaves about a quarter of an inch of hair and that is much more comfortable than dealing with the stubble from shaving or regrowth after waxing, also minimal chances of ingrown hairs like I experienced after waxing. To each their own though. We all go to different lengths for beauty. When I am ready to be full time again I will probably be waxing but for now keeping things trimmed and not shaved is most comfortable for me.

Guest Hayley21

Well something I discovered is if you can handle it keep shaving down there but shave it in an upward motion, shave with the hair NOT against it. I have found out that I have shaved down there for about 3 years now, an its as smooth as a babys booty :D I guess after awhile of shaving it gets use to it :) Plus when I get to do electrolysis I'll be doing it down there as well :)

Hayley :)

Guest someone or other

Hey so back when I was pretending to be a girl, I was pretty serious about shaving downstairs. The tricks I picked up were as follows:

If you've got a lot to begin with, space it over a few days or so. You don't want to try to get it all at once, or it will get irritated and feel awful and it's just a horrible idea. So skim off a little, a bit more the next day, etc.

Use a razor with at least 3 blades. I used a Gilette Fusion, I think. You should also use shaving cream/gel/something, not just soap or water.

Make sure to moisturize after. Any kind of lotion should work, and help to avoid irritation and stuff.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Donna Jean

what about Nair? it's something i've tinkered with for my legs, but what would the consequences be for trying it there?

Well, Nair is a chemical that essentially burns/melts hair .. :blink:

Nair can cause burning sensations and and even blisters if left on the skin for too long.

Make sure to do a test patch first if you decide to use this product...you can hurt yourself...

Also...like shaving, you'll need to keep using it....

Donna Jean

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Caroline Anne

Ok, here goes, I use the Emjoi Emagine. I've been using it for about 3 or 4 months. It's incredible. I initially used it for my chest, hands and feet. Then got kind of curious...and started using it down there. Yes it hurt a little bit at first. I had to take little bites, so to speak, but was able to clear the area without shedding a tear. Now, the maintenance on that area is practically nothing. Of course I was worried that sensitive skin would get pinched in the tweezers, but if you keep the skin taunt, you shouldn't have a problem. Even if it does get pinched, (it has happened)it doesn't hurt. More scary than anything. I couldn't imagine shaving that area.

Good luck

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Nair down there will buuuuurn.

I've noticed that the rubbing of the waistband will cause ingrown hairs. I thought that it was because of shaving but it was only up around a certain area only. Kind of a bummer. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hayley

I've been putting off getting it done down there forever, but it seems that soon I wont have a choice, as SRS gets closer. :P In the meantime I shave, the only irritated spots are the bikini line.

Guest kelise

Ok, here goes, I use the Emjoi Emagine.

How on earth do you get something that size into all the "nooks and crannies"?

I shave. Have for years. I had a year of laser sessions (24 in all) down there prior to surgery, but still have a lot.

Frankly the thought of any hair south of my eyebrows makes me want to vomit. I want skin like satin. Never had it, but I want it. I shave my armpits, legs, feet, arms, and yes ALL that down there, including the REALLY gross areas no one want's to talk about. I shave at least weekly, doing touch-ups every day. I use a Bic Soleil 4 blade disposable razor, and occasionally shave gel. I moisturize with lotion afterward. I almost never nicked myself. Regardless of how much I use, I still get some bumps and ingrown hairs which I HATE. I might try an epilator, but again, I just don't see how it could reach some areas, and I'm not spending that kind of dough on something that's not going to do the job. (Learned THAT lesson with the laser)

One would think it'd be easier post-op, but believe me it's NOT. At least before I had something to pull to keep the skin taught. As for HRT, yes my hair grows back slower, but hasn't lessened it's quantity. Fortunately, I never grew any on my back, chest or stomach. Down there is the worst though. I CAN"T STAND it being there and I can't stand the prickly feeling or chafing that comes from it growing back.

Guest Caroline Anne

How on earth do you get something that size into all the "nooks and crannies"?

I shave. Have for years. I had a year of laser sessions (24 in all) down there prior to surgery, but still have a lot.

Hey Kelise,

You got me there :) I haven't started the nooks and crannies for various reasons, the National Guard, being one. :blowup:

Never even thought of how the Emagine would get the tight spots so to speak.

I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Guest ChaosEverafter

i find that using hair conditioner as shaving cream works wonders. this includes the face. i use twin blade disposable razors and hair conditioner and my shaves are so close that it's like a barbershop did it with a straight razor. and it moisturizes the skin too. double win.

Guest kimberly c

Hi, I just love to shave down there, just be careful and take your time and use a good razor.The feeling of no hair is wonderful. I like

to leave a little hair what real girl calls a landing strip.

Love Kim

Guest Mossy

Well something I discovered is if you can handle it keep shaving down there but shave it in an upward motion, shave with the hair NOT against it.

+1 to this advice. Shaving against the grain causes itchiness and in-grown hairs :(. But I guess after a while your skin adapts to it and you also get better at it, then it's far easier.

Guest sarah f

I am getting electrolysis done down there on a certain area and I shave the rest. After about 5 or 6 times shaving you get used to it. Just make sure to use a newer razor.

Guest kelise

Well something I discovered is if you can handle it keep shaving down there but shave it in an upward motion, shave with the hair NOT against it.

I don't know about the rest of you, but my hair grows downward here, so shaving in an upward motion (as i do) IS shaving against the grain of the hair.

Guest Melissa 67

I hear what you girls are saying, but I always get a clean shave down there. The only times I get razor bumps, rashes, whatever, is when I don't use enough shaving cream. O, and I always shave in an upward motion down there, mostly because it's more practical to do it that way, you know with that thingy in the way and all.

Love

Melissa 67

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mina89

I tried getting into shaving... that region again over the last three weeks. It always ends in a river of blood and shame for me, regardless of conditioner or shaving lotion.

My nether hairs might just be a bit different from everyone else's. Maybe I'll try waxing.

-Valerie

Guest kelise

I tried getting into shaving... that region again over the last three weeks. It always ends in a river of blood and shame for me, regardless of conditioner or shaving lotion.

My nether hairs might just be a bit different from everyone else's. Maybe I'll try waxing.

-Valerie

Sounds to me like you need a better razor.

• 7 months later...
Guest Sarah1967

I been shaving down there since 2001 with a razor no itch no bumps no redness I leave a little square patch of hair the size of a postage stamp. When I am shaving my legs, right before I start to shave them I use a good body wash and I use a pumice stone and rub my legs in a circular motion to remove the the dead skin and apply some shaving gel and when I am done ahaving I apply some Baby oil I have very smooth legs.