• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Make Up Shopping

Guest meagan

Guest meagan

I feel like i have been having a good run of positive things happening to me in the last little while. From getting new clothes, legs waxed, discovered by a girl i know who liked the idea of me in girl mode. Trying to better understand how to make a wardrobe and create my look. Having my face done in foundation/concealer so i could see how to do it etc.

My last shift at work i was working with a Japanese friend. She always has flawless make up on. I asked her about it and she said she would show me what she does as well as apply it on for me. I have not told her anything about me in the sense of cross dressing or identity confusion. She even wrote me a list of the products she uses and found to be the best. Today i went in to the drug store and found everything but the eye primer and i am impressed. The make up i did have is nice but nothing compared to her choices. I even splurged on her brand of mascara, the Christion Dior Diorshow waterproof in black. What a difference. Smooth application, even, no clumps and done in a single pass. I am very excited and can not wait for her to give me my make over.

Well, i hope that everyone else had a great day too! /waves :)

Guest Emily Ray

Post the list so we all can see what is recommended please :ThanxSmiley:

I am so happy you were able to find everything. I bought my eyeshadow primer at a beauty supply store. It was cheap but girl it makes a world of difference. The colors are bolder and they stay on longer.

Huggs for your happy day

Emily

Guest Lacey Lynne

Meagan:

Hey, I really like this post! Very interesting experience and great reading here. You're lucky to know somebody like that. Christian Dior makeup!

Just today, I'm cruising the mall and bopping through NORDSTROM which is a tony and chic department store which is originally from Seattle but is quite prominent here in The Peoples' Republic of Portland.

Anyway, right there in front of the makeup counter, which is immense, they have rows of chairs and tables lined up with makeup artists doing girls up with ... DIOR makeup! Oh, how I envied the girls in the chairs. By the way, I've seen these makeup girls make up guys. No joke. They'd oblige you if you had the gumption to go for it. You know you want to. So do I!

Your friend has great taste! You do too! Enjoyed this post. Rock on, hon.

:lol: Lacey Lynne

Guest meagan

Oh! Sorry Emily. The list she gave me of things she used for her eyes..

Mac brushes. ....I already had some myself

Q-Tips.... easy, got em too!

Mascara..... Christian Dior Diorshow waterproof black.... goeas on really easy, no mess, clumps or fuss. I really like this even tho it was 30 bucks

Eyeliner.... Revlon. I had two pencils and liquid before, but this Revlon in black is nice and creamy and goes on smooth

Eye shadow.... Mac or Shiseido. She told me my eyes beg for purple shades and i got a nice 3 shade Shiseido Luminizing satin.

Eye primer.... Urban Decay Primer Potion. Stores here did not have this so i ordered it online and have to play the wait game. But she swears by it.

Every time i go to the make up department or pass by it. I feel over whelmed. There is sooooo much there. The make up department of the drug store is twice the size of the part that sells the normal drug store items lol.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

I haven't heard good things about Diorshow. My go-to mascara is Great Lash by Maybelline. I guess that's the most popular mascara.

I know your friend knows about makeup if she recommended waterproof mascara. I do too! Always always buy waterproof mascara.

Guest Elizabeth K

By the way, I've seen these makeup girls make up guys. No joke. They'd oblige you if you had the gumption to go for it. You know you want to. So do I!

I am now full time so it is natural to get a makeover every once in a while - mainly to try new product. In New Orleans we have several big malls, so it is easy to get this done. What you need to understand is these women (1) want you to buy product - their product So if you do get a makeover be prepared to buy at least one or two products - that makes it fair (2) they want you as a repeat customer - will put you on an email list - and want your phone number They will call you for specials.

The point? They like anyone who buys product and that includes natal women, crossdressers and transgendered. It the $$$ that attracks them - grin.

So yes, you can have a session. The easiest way to start is ask about help on selecting concealer and foundation. That is the basic step. Some men wear concealer anyway because of blemishes and skin discoloration, so people around you won't think anything about it.

When you have made friends with a makeup artist-salesperson, then you can move into real makeup if you feel comfortable. Start with 'daytime casual.' That is what you wear going shopping, for example - simple and elegant. Later, ask about 'nighttime wear,' like going out to eat. Finally ask about 'glamour' - a big party or a presentation.

I did this two years ago and it took a lot of nerve. It helped when I went early in the day when ther were no crowds. The makeup people are anxious to get a customer and there are few shoppers around to make you nervius. I was always kinda gender neutral when I went. My hair was long enough for a short ponytail, for example. When I started passing, of course, no problem. I usually never outed myself with some long explaination, and they rarely asked, other than to know how much I used product and if it was all day.

So when you get serious about being female, just get your courange up - and do it. MAC was a great place to start for me because they really have excellant concealers.

But take some money - all this is expensive!

Lizzy

Guest Emily Ray

I have never tried shiseido shadows tell me how they work for you once you get your primer.

Inst beingba girl FUN!!!

Huggs

Emily

Guest Lacey Lynne

@ Lizzy:

Awesome reply, hon!

Correctomundo on EVERYTHING you said and VERY insightful! :welldone:

Dang, posts like this freak me out ... both in a good and a bad way. Good because all of you know SOOO much more about this than I do and I'm learning from you for which I majorly thank you. Bad because I'm majorly afraid to go fulltime. Like, I won't pass. Like, a-holes will attack me. Like, I'm over the hill anyway. Jeesh! :unsure:

This upcoming Monday, I see my new gender therapist here in my new city to hash through these issues. All of you on here pass very convincingly! Me? Heck, I'll look like a wiry little wop in drag. :unsure:

Anyway, to the positive side:

Thanks, Lizzy, and everybody else. This thread rocks. Since I've got a decent income again, like, I'm itching to DO this and get either some Dior makeup or get some M.A.C. makeup as an alternative. Yahoo!

:P Lacey Lynne

Guest meagan

Lizzie, i have the great lash mascara too. I like it but it always feels thick on my lashes. I have another one as well that was my first buy. Label is gone so i forget what it is, but it truly sucks. Takes about 3 applications to get good full coverage so i let it collect dust instead. Great lash does like to stay put for a long time. Since i got Diorshow i have had one night with it, but i am pleased with the results. It felt like i had nothing on, though the lashes were very black and looked full of volume and length. I fell asleep with it on and it was just as good looking when i woke next morning lol. (also had my forms on when i fell asleep, good thing i sleep on my side/back)

Lacey, i had the counter girls do my face this past summer. It was only foundation/concealer. I did not ask for the full gambit as i wanted to know how and what to do to beat oily skin. As well to watch how she applied it all to my face so i could better improve my own technique. Now i can not wait for my friend to show me how she works those magic eyes of hers. I tell her all the time how impressed i am and that her eyes always look too good to be true type perfect. I am so anxious to learn her method. But i have to wait, she is Japanese and will be going back to Japan to help her mother with a few things as her father has taken a turn for the worse health wise, as well this disaster has her worried for other family and friends.