Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Zenda

The God Of The Bible Once Had A Wife.

Guest Zenda   
Guest Zenda

Kia Ora,

:rolleyes: Well back in 1967 Raphael Patai was the first historian to suggest the ancient Israelites worshipped both Yahweh and his wife ‘Asherah’ :friends: , this info gained new ground when a researcher at Oxford ‘Francesca Stavrakopoulou’ dug deeper into what Patai had suggested…[she’s a senior lecturer in the department of Theology and Religion at the university of Exeter UK-there's a doco floating around Europe about it]...

For matter only known to a select few in early Judaism, Christendom, and Islam, ancient scribes of the respective holy books decided to omit any reference of the female Goddess Asherah [as God’s spouse][ :rolleyes: ancient male chauvinism perhaps] …It would seem when it comes to the bible and the only one god thingy, someone been telling pokies. :doh1: So it looks like Jesus had a great supernatural grandmother after all and her name was ‘Asherah’ …

:rolleyes: Well, no doubt for some believers this news of the Abrahamic god having a goddess as his defacto wife :friends: may have come as a surprise :o , so now that you know, does this have any impact on your personal belief in a god?

What else did these ancient scribes omitted?

And what personal prejudices and superstitious beliefs did they add?

What are you to believe when it comes to the condemnation of homosexuals and so called crossdressing-trans-people in the bible?

Metta Zenda :)

Guest quiet amber   
Guest quiet amber

Makes it all the more interesting tbh. :) guess I can start prayin to the mommy goddess cause big daddy god wont give me my way :P

Deandra   
Deandra

Well i guess the term goddess had to come from somewhere, right?

ChloëC   
ChloëC

As I have suggested elsewhere, if anyone truly believes that the early Christian councils like The Council of Nicea for instance, were attended by only the wisest of the wise, fairest of the fair, truist of the true, and they all had quite personal revelations from God on high, and they all deliberated thinking only great thoughts and acted in purely selfless and totally unselfmotivated ways in order to further the glory of God and of His Son, I would like to hear, because I have yet to see a committee of humans get together and not let petty concerns and bickering and politics and jealousy and small mindedness be involved. Committees are notorious for give and take, for trading deep convictions on some matters in order to further others. Often the results are barely acceptable but include unique personal demands that others are affronted by, but willingly overlook in order to get their own views on other issues instituted.

If they were able to be all the positive attributes listed above and not let human fraility be involved, I'm surprised they didn't end world hunger, cure all illnesses, free all slaves, smite down all enemies and make this a paradise on earth, instead of making sure that only certain religious texts would be included in the developing canon, and making sure all non-orthodoxy thoughts were totally stamped out including but not limited to any actions that would further their own places in the current heirarchy, as well as demanding severe physical punishment for anybody espousing heretical ideas.

I also find it amazing that God would direct certain individuals to proclaim only certain texts as holy while ignoring all the suffering that was going on. And then allow them to copyright those same texts, thus denying any involvement of God in the proceedings.

But, that's how civilization marches forward, some win, some lose, nobody is totally happy except those at the top of the power pyramid. And that's what it's usually about. Considering not one post crucifiction/reserrection gospel written by or attributed to a female was included (there were several actually) in the final canon speaks volumes for who was in control.

Btw, I wonder how many votes at these councils were very split as to which books to include or directions to take. I'll bet an awful lot. Unanimity is a very difficult result to obtain. If that were truly the case, no committee would ever have been needed, because they all would have accepted (by personal revelation) that God could speak directly through one person. Hey, it worked for the LDS church, why not these early councils? Curious, huh.

Hugz

Chloë

Guest Zenda   
Guest Zenda

Kia Ora Deandra,

:rolleyes: What came first "the Chicken or the egg?"...

Did god come before goddess, if so why and how?

Or was a male god born out of 'parthenogenesis' ? Which would be more logical? Given the fact parthenogenesis is a 'fact' of life!

Kia Ora Quiet Amber,

Quote:

"guess I can start prayin to the mommy goddess cause big daddy god wont give me my way!" I like it :score::welldone:

:rolleyes: It fits in line with human thinking, the mother always giving into the child's wants and many believers tend to see the concept of a deity whom they worship in a anthropomorphic way ...

April63   
April63

Btw, I wonder how many votes at these councils were very split as to which books to include or directions to take. I'll bet an awful lot. Unanimity is a very difficult result to obtain. If that were truly the case, no committee would ever have been needed, because they all would have accepted (by personal revelation) that God could speak directly through one person. Hey, it worked for the LDS church, why not these early councils? Curious, huh.

What is not so curious is that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not accept those councils for many of the reasons that you have given. They are not seen as genuine, inspired councils, but instead as councils involving their own personal interpretations, needs, and desires. The Church believes that the original inspiration and revelation fell away shortly after Christ's resurrection. We do accept the Bible as scripture (it is used as often as the Book of Mormon is too) even though the people who compiled it 300 years later were most likely not guided by the Spirit. We believe that for the most part, the writings are still authentic.

Returning to the original post, the Church also believes, and has believed since the beginning, in a Heavenly Mother alongside our Heavenly Father. The concept of God having a wife fits perfectly into the rest of our beliefs. It is interesting to note that none of our scriptures mention Her. We also do not worship Her, but we know that She is there with the Father. I should probably say that the scriptures do provide support for Her while not directly saying it. We know that certain things were not written down for many different reasons. This doesn't change my faith. I think it is a good thing, as it requires us to be more devoted to our spirituality and our beliefs. We must continually search for the truth. We cannot simply be happy with our church or our beliefs. There is not progress in that and we could be deceived. To continue learning and growing, we must continue searching. Even if we are happy with what we have found, and even if we know for a fact that it is true, we must continue pressing forward, because there is always more.

Guest Reina   
Guest Reina

you know i always wondered how jesus was there before mary

ChloëC   
ChloëC

Hi April,

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.

Hugz

Chloë

Guest lisa49   
Guest lisa49
What came first "the Chicken or the egg?"...

The miracle came first. As much as 100,000 years ago or as much as scholars can figure there are witches both male and female that did things people did not understand so they became a sort of God. Many herbs and effects tweaked people's minds. Those spiritual and super natural feelings became beliefs. Later on as Sanskrit and other ways of writing progressed, the holistic separated from the rational. The early people had many Gods but the first two that identified a single unit happened in the west and east about the same time. The Egyptians went through a phase of one God for a short period and the Jews picked up on it. The Hindu religion which had many different beliefs put God to a farming couple, man and women that made one entity. The Christians have three to make one God. Buddhism is a split from the Hindu.

The old bible and or Torah of the old world has many different versions and authors that did not agree or even use the same name for God. Scholars think 4-5 authors, the church and those in power have massaged those different versions into one. That is what there are many conflicting sentences as the Bible is a patch work of many to tell the same story. Early man was a poet before he was a scientist.

Guest Zenda   
Guest Zenda

there are witches both male and female that did things people did not understand so they became a sort of God. Many herbs and effects tweaked people's minds. Those spiritual and super natural feelings became beliefs. Early man was a poet before he was a scientist.

Kia Ora Lisa,

:rolleyes: I guess natural hallucinogenics have been around and used by humans for thousands of years and for the most part they tend to amplify what's going on within ones mind, ordinary fears become grotesque images, just as feelings of peace and joy are amplified and produces images that relate to wellbeing for the experiencer...

Guest lisa49   
Guest lisa49
I guess natural hallucinogenics have been around and used by humans for thousands of years

For example the Aztecs used them to indoctrinate people into religion. The music and narration as well as the chapel has a hypnotic effect on the flock. The Government experimented with LSD to brain wash people. The peasants could be drowsed by poppies or " Bread of Dreams: Food and Fantasy in Early Modern Europe by Piero Camporesi" Repeated mantras have similar effects.

Guest Zenda   
Guest Zenda

For example the Aztecs used them to indoctrinate people into religion. The music and narration as well as the chapel has a hypnotic effect on the flock. The Government experimented with LSD to brain wash people. The peasants could be drowsed by poppies or " Bread of Dreams: Food and Fantasy in Early Modern Europe by Piero Camporesi" Repeated mantras have similar effects.

Kia Ora Lisa,

:rolleyes: Self imposed mantras, if done with the right intent, serve a very beneficial purpose...However,sadly some people continually feed themselves negative affirmations/mantras...

I do agree that when people in authority[religious or other wise] manipulate the masses by such means, they can be powerful control tools...One has only to look at the impact of media 'advertising'...