• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Androgyne Hair (Short To Medium) Inspiration

Guest TheBlackSheep

Guest TheBlackSheep

For those of you who identify with the androgynous look, how do you style your hair and where do you get your inspiration? I'm looking for a short-medium hairstyle which can be worn by both M&F. Preferably a layered style. I'm getting a cut soon so I'm looking for a pic to take to the salon with me.

Does anyone know any good websites for hair inspiration?

Guest wolfySH

I style my own hair--- and honestly, I get a lot of my inspiration from Japanese animation/video games.

My first style was a mashup of Roxas and Axel from Kingdom Hearts, which was fun.

I'm always looking at new cuts and colours.

My last haircut I had a minihawk in the back coming forward into my regular messy shaggy style, which is generally more masculine than androgynous, but if you taper the ends right, it can work really well. :3

If you want any tips or ideas, let me know! :D

Guest CariadsCarrot

I don't fully know what I identify as yet but I've just made the decision to cut my hair from a VERY long style. I just typed the length and 'hair' into google images and looked through what came up. Maybe that's not the best way but it worked for me.

I hope you find the perfect hair style for you and that others are able to help you out with where to look for some good ideas.

• 1 month later...
Guest Cafe.Bike.Girl

I'm starting transition and have been looking for something similar since I need to look professional at work. I'm thinking about trying a pixie cut, something like:

66074abd87b347a4ccea7c3e3d69cf0c.jpg

f7f8eaeb758f36c10785bd8883aba4bd.jpg

It would be nice to see what other people have come up with.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TheBlackSheep

Thanks for the replies.

I really like the haircut in the second image. Styled slightly differently that could probably be worn by both m & f without giving the game away.

I also like:

zac-effron1.jpg

Guest TheBlackSheep

I style my own hair--- and honestly, I get a lot of my inspiration from Japanese animation/video games.

My first style was a mashup of Roxas and Axel from Kingdom Hearts, which was fun.

I'm always looking at new cuts and colours.

My last haircut I had a minihawk in the back coming forward into my regular messy shaggy style, which is generally more masculine than androgynous, but if you taper the ends right, it can work really well. :3

If you want any tips or ideas, let me know! :D

Cool. Do you colour and cut it yourself too or do you go to a salon? I would be so embarrassed to go to a salon and ask for a ladies cut even though that's what I think might suit me best and what I would prefer.

Also, how do you know what will look good on you (in terms of colours shapes etc)? Do you just experiment or do you know what suits your face shape?