• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What Is Going On Here?

Guest gela

Hey there! There's a lot of stuff going on with me, and I'm having a hard time dealing with all of it...

I was born male. When I was 9 or 10, I started getting migraines every month on a predictable cycle. As I grew older, I looked fairly feminine. I remember wondering why other guys were getting hair on their bodies and I wasn't. Eventually I started growing my hair out a bit, and I was getting confused as a girl quite a lot.

My doctors started me on hormones about a year ago. Once they started, the migraines went away and I started getting "menstrual" type cramps every month that are predictable. They differ in pain every month, but it's always predictable at every 23 days for 3-4 days duration. It occurs about 3 inches below my belly button and centered between my hips. Sometimes I get random spikes of pain outside of cycle, like at day 14 or so.. those are alarming!

My doctors ultrasounded me, and while there was something on the screen we didn't recognize, they kinda made excuses and didn't know what it was. All through this, the doctors have had a hard time keeping my hormone levels stable, they seem to fluctuate a lot. The doctors don't really know what's going on with me, but when I've spoken with a few people, I heard that it might be an intersex condition of some sort. I've also heard from my mother that she took some kind of hormone when she was pregnant with me.

So I'm not really sure what's going on here, but I have bad symptoms: dizzyness, nauseousness, tiredness, cravings for food, and the cramps...

I really dislike my body :(

Hello Geta,

Welcome to Laura's Playground!

You should find this a friendly place where you can learn from others - let's see who replies?

But, your doctors will be able to help you with your specific needs - we can only guess along with you! I wasn't sure which hormones you were taking, male or female?

Please put a post in the Introductions Forum - that way everyone can get to know you!

Again, Welcome to Laura's!

Love, Kat

Hello Geta,

Welcome to Laura's Playground!

You should find this a friendly place where you can learn from others - let's see who replies?

But, your doctors will be able to help you with your specific needs - we can only guess along with you! I wasn't sure which hormones you were taking, male or female?

Please put a post in the Introductions Forum - that way everyone can get to know you!

Again, Welcome to Laura's!

Love, Kat

I'm taking mtf style hormones currently, but at VERY high dosages.

• Admin

Welcome to the Playground, Gela. I'm glad you found us and decided to join.

I don't know a lot about the intersexed condition, but I'm happy that you have doctors trying to help you with your symptoms. I'm sure there are doctors who specialize in such issues, if the one's you have don't. Have you tried doing a Google search for such experts?

We do have other members who are intersexed and can probably offer some advice, and who at least will understand what you are going through.

Please post in this forum and in any forum, and ask whatever questions come to mind. We love questions, otherwise we Moderators wouldn't have a job. :P We get paid one cookie for every question we answer. LOL!

Please read the Terms and Conditions if you haven't already. There is a link at the top of every page. We use the rules to keep the site safe for all.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Lacey Lynne

Welcome!

Kathleen Rose and Carolyn Marie (above) gave you great advice. Doctors specializing in maternal fetal medicine would be your best bet or can refer you to research doctors whose expertise is genetic karyotpes and the syndromes various and sundry (of which there are many) than can result from the permutations and perturbations in utero when a baby is gestating in its mother.

Also, like Carolyn Marie said, Google for further lay-person information (and even expert-level treatises) if you want to.

In any event, we believe you'll be alright! Settle in, get comfortable and post away. We're glad you are here. You'll find this place accepting and kind. You're amoung friends here.

:friends: Lacey

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

Hi Gela,

Welcome to Laura's. We hope that you'll decide to make this your home away from home. There are so very many loving and understanding folks here. They are ready to both listen and help in any manner that they can.

Yes, your condition could be intersexed; it sort of sounds that way from your description. What I find alarming is that your drs. weren't able to identify the "whatever thing" that showed up on your ultrasound. That should have sent up a red flag to them immeadiately and they should have ordered further testing.

I don't know what state that you reside in. But, normally most childrens hospitals have drs on staff who deal with youth who are born intersexed and they will treat older adults who may have one of the various types of intersexuality and there are quite a few variations.

One thing that the drs do know is that just because the baby looks male- it ain't always so and vice versa.

You really do need to do an introduction though as it helps other members get to know you a little better.

Mike

• 1 year later...

Hi Gela

The main advice that anyone would offer in your situation is seek medical opinion. You have already done so and I am sure that eventually a result will emerge, even if it serves to provide a guide to medication etc. rather than a definitive diagnosis. I echo what Bulldog says here regarding the reaction of the medics to your ultrasound test. There are approximately 12 defined intersex conditions, but in many cases, the cause is listed as “idiopathic” (of no known cause). Without doubt, it is important to you (as it is for most people here) to obtain an answer to your questions, but right now, the first priority it to assess and treat any potential health issues. If your medical advisers are still puzzled by the results have they sought a second opinion from someone else as Carolyn Marie suggests?