Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest fluffykitty

Hqw Can I Help My Child When I'm The Only Person In The Family That Supports His Decision?

9 posts in this topic

Being divorced and my ex having custody of our children is difficult enough, but the fact that I'm the only person in the family that doesn't judge him and supports his decision is very hard for him.My son is 15 but has felt like he was born in the wrong body since he was about 6.His father is still in denial and saying it's just a phase and he'll grow out of it or can be cured,he even lets my oldests siblings make fun of him and call him offensive names.I do not allow this kind of behavior when I have my visits with them,I will not put up with it.How can I help my child deal with what he is going through when I am the only one in his family he feels comfortable talking to for fear of rejection and being judged?

I think the thing you should do is take your son to a gender therapist, once there they will help him, and you figure out his problems, and help you come up with solutions. Fathers are usually hard to get points through to because they do not understand. Also the best thing you can probably do is get your son on blockers because they will stop the development of the body and leave it where it is until it is removed or hormones are cycling through the body again. Next best thing is to support your son all the way and show you are there for him not matter what. I'm sorry people are buttheads nowadays. P.s. I am the same age as your son.

Lots of Love,,

Ariel <3

In most states as long as you have 'shared legal custody' (different from 'physical custody'), you have the right to take/insist your child be taken to a therapist. If the father is against therapy, is it possible to go back to court and request that the court order that your child be taken to a therapy?

If it isn't possible to get your child to a therapist in one way or the other, knowing that you are supportive WILL help. Nothing is worse than feeling that no one believes you, that no one understands. Even if transition issues have to wait until after the 18th birthday, knowing that your love is unconditional will help.

Also, if you child has computer access and can safely do it, encourage joining the site. I've spoken to people that can't ever log in from home but do at the local library or somewhere else where there is wi-fi access.

Thank you for trying to be supportive.

hugs, anyushka

I'm so sorry to hear that your son is being put through this hell. I think the advice already offered is very good. As long as you are

able to provide him a safe haven some of the time, it will lessen the pressure he feels until he is old enough to make decisions for himself. Yes, if you can get him in to see a G.T., with or without the approval of his father, that would be best.

In the meantime, be there for him, be his lifeline. That alone will be a blessing.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Thanks everyone that would be my mom :) lol, but just want to point out mom when refering to me its probably best to use proper pronouns ;)

Presuming some similarity in Canadian family law to that typically seen in the States, the real key to ANY medical care is likely addressed in the Orders put forth in the custody matter. And, again, if like in the States, the manner of Order ranges wildly when the father has primary possessory custody.

While the support of the child is commendable, family law is something that requires one to tread lightly and, if necessary, after consultation with either the attorney who represented you in the custody matter or new counsel if no retainer relationship exists with the former counsel.

Presuming some similarity in Canadian family law to that typically seen in the States, the real key to ANY medical care is likely addressed in the Orders put forth in the custody matter. And, again, if like in the States, the manner of Order ranges wildly when the father has primary possessory custody.

While the support of the child is commendable, family law is something that requires one to tread lightly and, if necessary, after consultation with either the attorney who represented you in the custody matter or new counsel if no retainer relationship exists with the former counsel.

Thank you all for your advice and thank you to my soon to be daughter, I love you very much. As to all who have answered my question, it is very appreciated as I am not getting any help from anywhere else I turn.I will see what I can do on my end and I will always be there for my child! :thumbsup::lol::ThanxSmiley:

Thank you all for your advice and thank you to my soon to be daughter, I love you very much. As to all who have answered my question, it is very appreciated as I am not getting any help from anywhere else I turn.I will see what I can do on my end and I will always be there for my child! :thumbsup::lol::ThanxSmiley:

Sigh - my mother is long ago deceased - I would hope she would be like this - but I won't ever know....

Makes me sad, somehow...

Lizzy