• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Salleyhansen Wax Strips

Guest Emily Ray

Guest Emily Ray

After being unable to pluck my eyebrows while in the hospital I decide to pick up these prewaxed waxing strips at walmart by sally Hansen. I just tried them out and I am very impressed with how well they worked. They come with a rectangular shape of wax and I think if you cut them to the curve that you are looking for they can be very effective at hair removal. I spent twenty minutes working on just the bottom side and reading the directions. I think that with practise the time to shape your brows could be cut down to 15 minutes.

Huggs

Emily

I know this will sound odd, but its for real... I mean really for real...or maybe surreal...

Once when visiting my sister she apologized for her hairy legs saying it was her waxing day. She then proceeded to pull out of duct tape saying "you see this, it does twice as much as those boxes of waxing strips, costs half the amount and works just as well". She then proceeds to pull of strips of the duct tape, press it against her legs and demonstrate to me how she waxes her legs.

Now I am not recommennding that for one's face and I think Emily's comment about cuting those strips to provide the shape is cool. I doubt that could be done with duct tape.

As for anyone wishing to experiment with duct tape on your legs, do so at your own risk. I would suggest you at least take a look at the instructions on one of those boxes of strips to get the right technique. Also, as a general waxing tip, putting a light coating of baby power onto your skin under the area you are waxing will keep the skin from attaching to the wax or adhesive while still allowing it to grab the hairs. I would highly recommend that if thinking about using duct tape! Also make sure the hair is long enough.

• Forum Moderator

Thanks Emily, for the good info. I was just plucking this morning.

Glad to hear you are home and well.

Hugs

Cindy -

Guest Emily Ray

Thank you drea for the Duct Tape idea I might try that once. My legs aren't very hairy at all anymore and I want to buy an epilator for them.

Huggs

Emily

Guest ShannonA23

I know this will sound odd, but its for real... I mean really for real...or maybe surreal...

Once when visiting my sister she apologized for her hairy legs saying it was her waxing day. She then proceeded to pull out of duct tape saying "you see this, it does twice as much as those boxes of waxing strips, costs half the amount and works just as well". She then proceeds to pull of strips of the duct tape, press it against her legs and demonstrate to me how she waxes her legs.

Now I am not recommennding that for one's face and I think Emily's comment about cuting those strips to provide the shape is cool. I doubt that could be done with duct tape.

As for anyone wishing to experiment with duct tape on your legs, do so at your own risk. I would suggest you at least take a look at the instructions on one of those boxes of strips to get the right technique. Also, as a general waxing tip, putting a light coating of baby power onto your skin under the area you are waxing will keep the skin from attaching to the wax or adhesive while still allowing it to grab the hairs. I would highly recommend that if thinking about using duct tape! Also make sure the hair is long enough.

Duct tape and baby powder huh? That to me is pretty good idea, I would never have thought of that. Worth a shot in my book.

Guest ranse

There are days when I wish we could all just swap bodies. ;) I was looking at my eyebrows today and wishing they were a bit bushier and more manly instead of having a natural arch that gives them a really feminine look.

Eyebrows are hard to get down the first time; a lot of women have them done professionally the first time and then do the upkeep at home by plucking strays with tweezers as they appear. If you can find an open-minded salon that does eyebrow waxing, it's worth the $10-$12 to have them shaped by a pro who knows how to get the right arch for your eyes/face shape.

With legs, waxing seems to take so long and doesn't really make the hair regrowth any thinner or take longer that I can tell. It was easier to shave every day in the shower. Once you've done the initial hair removal, it's easy and fast just to do it on a daily basis. Hair conditioner works as well as shaving gels and creams, but you may have to replace your razor blades more often.

Guest Elizabeth K

Thank you Em - I tried the eyebrow wax that is put on with a spatula - very tricky - I never could get it exactly right. Also messy. I wanna try those strips!

I had my eyebrows electrolysis trimmed - she did a great job and it gave me the template to use now. The strays I tweezer out about every third day or so - a real bother, BUT, in for the penny, in for the pound. It's a chore women chose to do if they want to look their best.

I did duct tape on the legs years before I started HRT. I found if your skin was washed and very well dried it worked best. It took a lot of tape and a few hairs refused to be removed and had to be tweezerd. It works on arm hair really well.

HRT has reduced hair 80% - so now all I have to do is depilate. I like this best (not the face of course).

Lizzy

Guest Donna Jean

Duct tape?

Heck, that never crossed my mind....but, there is a reason that in aviation, we call it "200 MPH Tape".....LOL

Certainly worth a try on the legs....

Use care and you assume all risks!

Good Luck..

Huggs

Donna Jean

• 2 months later...
Guest Jenny K.

PRE-waxed strips...hmmm, yes, that's a good idea. Especially since I had a horrible ordeal last night trying to wax for the first time. The wax cooled and hardened too quickly...and I wasn't expecting to literally have to rip the strips off, I was thinking it would be more of a peel off thing. Then I put a bit too much wax on, not much of the hair came out SO it was a NIGHTMARE trying to wash it off my hands and legs. I wish I could just shave, but my hair grows back very quickly. Like, after a day its already growing back to the point where you can just notice it. So I need something that will take the hair off and KEEP it off for a while. Next time I am at Wal-Mart I will try to find these...

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

I use the Sally Hansen wax strips on my brows, and I've had okay results with them. Not 100% perfect but pretty good. The box I purchased also came with some different sized wax strips that can be used other places.

• 4 months later...
Guest StephanieLindman

I've had good luck with the prewaxed strips anywhere the grown is thin. They never worked very well for my legs. I love hard wax even though it's time-consuming. Lately, i've been lazy and just running an epilator over my legs. You get used to the pain very quickly.

I just started HRT yesterday, so I have a while before my body hair begins thinning on its own.