• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Fort Worth, Tx Trans Support

Guest Shaun_33

Guest Shaun_33

I am searching for other trans people in my area to possibly form some type of support group with each other. I live in Fort Worth, Texas, and have discovered that there is virtually no type of trans support here. I am still trying to come to terms with things, as I have only recently admitted to myself that I am trans. I have been seeing a counselor. She’s not experienced as a gender therapist, but she has been doing her best to try to help me. At this time I can not afford to pay out of pocket to see a gender specific therapist, so I must work with what I have. Other than that the only support I have is my mom, and those I have met here online. While that is good and has “kept me going” to this point, I feel I need to meet with others, and be able to build some “real life” relationships with other trans people. I am 34 years old, and FTM, but would like to meet other trans regardless of age or gender. If anyone lives in the area and would like to help me form a group (or if anyone knows of a current group that I am not aware of) please post here or email me.

I used to live in Fort Worth and I know how you are feeling.

There are support groups in Dallas but there is one in Fort Worth - I think it meets on Fridays - I never could make it.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest sarah f

I am at work right now but will respond later today with some info for you locally. I myself live in arlington and know of a site plus a really great gender therapist.

Feleshia Porter is the therapist. Her # is 214/904/8222.

Guest Elizabeth K

I lived in Dallas for 3 years and there was a very large LGB group there, but back then they didn't know about the "T" and such. That may have changed.

My point is don't overlook the Gay and Lesbian support groups. I know that is sexual orientation, and we are gender orientation, but they usually have an idea of where the trans people meet Also a lot of CDers have clubs - which in your case isn't applicable at all, but these people also know where the trans people are - because so many are 'questioning." So you may want to contact them, just for information = never hurts.

And we belong to a national organization - PFLAG - which is big in New Orleans. About 5 years ago they added T to their mission. Some of the city PFLAG organizations know little or nothing about transpeople, but they may in your area, or in Dallas.

Hope this helps

Lizzy

Guest Shaun_33

My experience with the LGBT community here was some years back now, but left a very bad taste in my mouth. The "T" might as well be left off, because they treat you as an outcast.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Howzittx

I live just west of Fort Worth. I've just started trying to find support in the metroplex area. I do have a lot of support in the gay community and some very good friends there, but they are all mostly in the Dallas area. I make the trip over there regularly to hang with them and just be somewhere where I can be myself. I'll let you know what I find.

Beck

Guest Shaun_33

Okay, maybe I just don't know where to look for the support I need or maybe I've just spent too much time trying to live my life detached from other people. I only know that I have tried for too long to deal with this on my own, and I simply can't do it any longer.

Let me know of what you find, Beck. Any and all help is welcomed and appreciated in finding trans resources in the area.

Sarah, your info was also very helpful, and just the little feedback I've had so far has actually given me great hope(at a time when I thought my situation may in fact be completely hopeless).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Blindheart

I am at work right now but will respond later today with some info for you locally. I myself live in arlington and know of a site plus a really great gender therapist.

Feleshia Porter is the therapist. Her # is 214/904/8222.

I will add my vote to this one, she is in Dallas, but if you can get over here she is awesome. I don't know much about other groups tho, I know Felisha has several for various age groups, but ya have to be seeing her and have her invite you to one.

Otherwise i am around Dallas if ya need a new friend, I am currently in the market :P

• 3 weeks later...

Shaun,

I just heard about a new group forming in Fort Worth called Trans-Cendence.

July 14th is the kick off fund raising event.

Hope this center works out.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Vixen Amber

Feleshia is a wonderful therapist. She really is. I was able to get appointments with her fairly cheaply, she does work with people on pricing.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shaun_33

Sorry that I haven't checked this site in awhile now. I've been busy trying to figure out the next steps in my own personal journey. I apologize for sort of abandoning this forum that I started, and also for the fact that I will not be able to further persue starting any type of support in Fort Worth, TX. After encountering many "roadblocks" my path of transformation is now leading me in another direction. For anyone else in the area who may be looking for help I would like to give this bit of information:

I did contact Felisha Porter, and just from my brief interaction with her, she seemed like a great person to help people with things. As you can see she comes highly recommended. She did refer me to someone closer in Fort Worth. I won't give the name of the therapist she referred me to, but I will say that they were associated with the Barron House here in Fort Worth and when I called this person they laughed at my situation. This was more than unsettling and upsetting to me, even more so from an organization who serves specifically the LGBT community. Needless to say I never called back.

I am so sorry that you are finding the climate for transitioning so difficult in Fort Worth, I must admit that so did I.

I never ventured outside of my house dressed except to go over to see Feleshia in Dallas - I also started my HRT through the Nelson-Tebedo Community Clinic in Dallas - blood work at a tremendous discount and Doctor visits were free.

I would probably still be hiding in a darkened apartment if I had stayed in Fort Worth but now I feel very comfortable going out as myself and only awkward at work - where I am still not out.

Good luck to you.

Love ya,

Sally

• 8 months later...
Guest taylor_org

I am not sure how old this post is, but I am Trans-Womn and I am starting a Fort Worth Transgender Support Group now.

I hope it is OK to post the link here.

There are currently no members yet, but I'm working on it now.

Mettings will be held at least once a month starting at my house.

I am still working out the kinks with my server and my internet service provider so please be patient.

There are many discussion Forums now open including Trans-Men.

Nikki

http://taylor.org.org/transgender_support/

[email protected]

Guest Shaun_33

Yes this was a post from last year...i have since moved out of state because i felt this was what was best for me & my goals of transition. Best of luck to you & your new support group from a Ft. Worth native :-)