Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest brandi78

Jello ?

Guest brandi78

Not too long ago I went to get my split ends trimmed and the girl that cuts my hair said that jello makes your hair & nails grow quicker. She said that it is the gelatin in it that makes it happen. Has anyone heard of this before or is this just a myth. I have been mixing jello up and drinking it like kool aid. It tastes decent but will get lumpy if you dont drink it soon after mixing it. I have had some everyday for about 2 weeks & my nails seem a little stronger.

I'm guessing it's a myth.

Brandi

Guest JaniceW

Brandi,

It is NOT a myth. Gelatin is helpful to your body for producing keratin which is the bade substancr of hair and nails.

Guest Elizabeth K

Not too long ago I went to get my split ends trimmed and the girl that cuts my hair said that jello makes your hair & nails grow quicker. She said that it is the gelatin in it that makes it happen. Has anyone heard of this before or is this just a myth. I have been mixing jello up and drinking it like kool aid. It tastes decent but will get lumpy if you dont drink it soon after mixing it. I have had some everyday for about 2 weeks & my nails seem a little stronger.

I'm guessing it's a myth.

Brandi

My aunt drank jello as an dietary additive for hair and nail treatment, as she had the problem of frizzy hair and brittle nails. She said that if you has a calcium deficiency or trouble metabolizing calcium, it would help. It only works with new growth. PLUS later I found only special forms of calcium can be absorbed by the body - supplemental calcium as vitamins, are not absorbed.

I hope this helps. But of course I am not a dietary expert.

Lizzy

JJ

Something else I have always been told-even by a Dr-was to drink lots of milk. I know when I was pregnant and on calcium pills my nails were longer and stronger than they had ever been

Johnny

Guest Elizabeth K

More:

From the internet: Jello and Hair are both made of proteins. Jello is an example of denatured collagen, and hair is made of keratin. Jello has no inherent properties that make it any different from proteins that you digest normally, such as those from meats. Provided that you supply your body with the amino acids that are not created by itself, your body already makes 16 of the 20 different amino acids.

Will your hair grow by digesting more Jello? There is a potential if you don't eat any food that had no amino acids in it, making your cells lack the essential amino acids it needs thus preventing proper hair growth. But the chance of this happening is similar to you not eating anything at all. For these reasons, jello will probably do nothing for your hair growth, but make you feel hyper because of the sugar.

Lizzy

Guest AlyTheGreatAngel

Well theres a gelatin hair mask that gives volume x) haha and I think u should boil the water so it wont get lumpy something like that not exactly sure

Guest Elizabeth K

Something else I have always been told-even by a Dr-was to drink lots of milk. I know when I was pregnant and on calcium pills my nails were longer and stronger than they had ever been

Johnny

MORE:

This site gives some information on 'calcium.'

http://www.muschealth.com/healthyaging/calcium.htm

Lizzy

Guest JaniceW

This site gives some information on 'calcium.'

It is also helpful to remember that calcium alone is useless as your body needs vitamin D to make use of the calcium. That's why milk is fortified with Vitamin D, to aide in using the calcium it has.

Guest Elizabeth K

It is also helpful to remember that calcium alone is useless as your body needs vitamin D to make use of the calcium. That's why milk is fortified with Vitamin D, to aide in using the calcium it has.

Janice - read the article - that is what it says.

Lizzy