Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Elena

Exploring Spiritual Common Ground

1 post in this topic

As we all struggle through pain, doubt, fear and loneliness I believe we can not help but connect with diety on some level. No matter our faith or outlook on life this invariably leads us toward a common goal which is the betterment of ourselves, our community, and through these our whole world. It is obvious that here in this community there are many with a deep understanding of this vital spiritual connection to diety. Some are Christian, some Wiccan, there are even very profound postings from a satanist, and everything around and between. The depth of love and sense of community from such diverse spiritual perspectives is nothing short of astonishing and I would even say miraculous. The common ground from such a spectrum is truly beautiful and exceedingly rare. :friends:

I can say without hesitation that I have never before seen a Satanist give spiritual advice to a Christian who took the wisdom therein to heart. This speaks volumes for how thoroughly our peculiar struggles open us up to truth. In fact it paints a spectacular picture of what our world could be like if such attitudes were shared by more people, much less if they were shared by all. This is somthing I wish to explore and reach a better understanding of because I know I was led here to be a part of this community. For what ultimate end I can not yet say, only that it will be a process of giving of myself and recieving what others freely give because I know that this is how we grow.

So I would like to share how I came to my particular spiritual path, what it means to me, and how I believe it guides me. And then hopefully some others can do the same, and we'll all be the wiser for it.

I posted a bit about how I came to believe as I do in the pagan forum, so I will be brief here on those aspects already covered. Basically I was taught to appreciate divinity by my mamu and that is expressed through connecting with the ancient Irish and Scottish gods know as the Tuatha-de-Dana or Children of Dana. In modern pagan parlance I as well as two of my cousins would be said to follow a familial pagan tradition, though this is a misnomer because there are no rituals or spells passed down. Merely an appreciation, love and devotion to those old gods and the truths we can learn from interacting with them. Because much of modern wicca is based on these same gods and the old world traditions of their worship. I identify quite closely with many wiccans, especially those of British Traditional Wicca, though I hold quite a few distinctly differing views. Lol, of course they have enough differing views among themselves that it makes little difference. Still these are kindred spirits, and I have taken some of their wisdom and made it a part of me.

Those gods which I identify with are Lugh and Brigit to who I am dedicated, for they are who I strive to become most like. Then I also spend much time with The Morrigan and Etain when I walk in the Otherworld. Lugh is the sun god of ancient Erin, light and justice and wisdom. He is also the master of all crafts, for no task is his master, but he of whatever he sets his hand to. So I try to do my best at whatever I undertake, and pray that I will be wise and just and a light to others. Brigit is a mother goddess, the warmth of hearth and home, the nurturing spark that brings growth and fruition, she is also a maker what she creates will last aifetime, often depicted as a smith. Of her I would bring her love and nurturing spirit, and hope to touch others in a lasting and meaningful way. She is also Home, and I have only just been shown what that means and how much I need it.

The Morrigan and Etain are different, they are mentors and friends and in a way embodied within me. The Morrigan is calledthe Raven Lady of Battle, the Harbringer of War and the Blood Raven. She is darkness and strife, viscious and ruthless when nessecary a consumate warrior who strikes swiftly and efficiently. The shelter of her wings is both terrifying and comforting for she brings victory at the minimum cost. I have sheltered under her wings far too many times, most before I was even an adult, but I only regret the necessity, not what I did under her dark aspect. My life, my sisters and my mothers depended on me being strong enough to fight, even if it almost cost me my sanity. I would have done far more to protect my family, no matter the cost to myself. Etain has been a mystery to me for most of my life, only clear to me in the Otherworld. She is all that is beautiful of woman. Where the Morrigan is purity of purpose Etain is pure of heart. Etain is love pure and simple, but her story is a tragedy. Her beauty causes jealousy and she is repeatedly transformed and unable to fulfill her love, constantly buffeted by the rough winds of the world. Yet she perseveres to return home and regain her shape, and happiness that is rightfuly hers. The myth of her never says if she makes it, yet I have seen her happy and whole in that place where only our spirits may soar for a little while.

The greatest of those principals that I hold most dear are responsibility, love, and integrity. For these qialities above all others me must have with ourselves, or we can not share them with others. I struggle with these often at different levels, it is a constant battle that can never be completely won because we can always do better. The messure of how much we can love is integral to how honest we are inwardly and outwardly, and how willing we are to accept our own responsibility to ourselves, our families, and communities, and how willing we are to take on those responsibilities. I know our dysphoric natures forces far too many tests on us in this regard, and yet the love so evident here is so far beyond what I see in the rest of the world it is truly amazing. That I be allowed to share and benefit from it is even more so.