• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Feminizing Exercises?

Guest qmelqisqsaq

Guest qmelqisqsaq

Yesterday my MTF so was talking about hating not fitting in with a gender group, and hating not getting HRT (we want to have kids, so we don't want the sterilizing bit). I was trying to think of ways to console her, and also the scientist/problem solver in me wanted to come up with a way to maybe not replicate, but mimic the effects of HRT. I thought maybe stretching would help feminize her body a bit because women tend to be more flexible than men, but really I have no idea. She's a bit scared of gaining muscle so it's been tough to think of something.

I was wondering if stretching would work and if it does what kinds of stretches are best?

Or, are there any sorts of exercises that build muscle in just the right way to make her more feminine but not more bulky/manly looking?

Thank you!!

Guest collettemichelle

Yesterday my MTF so was talking about hating not fitting in with a gender group, and hating not getting HRT (we want to have kids, so we don't want the sterilizing bit). I was trying to think of ways to console her, and also the scientist/problem solver in me wanted to come up with a way to maybe not replicate, but mimic the effects of HRT. I thought maybe stretching would help feminize her body a bit because women tend to be more flexible than men, but really I have no idea. She's a bit scared of gaining muscle so it's been tough to think of something.

I was wondering if stretching would work and if it does what kinds of stretches are best?

Or, are there any sorts of exercises that build muscle in just the right way to make her more feminine but not more bulky/manly looking?

Thank you!!

I watched a program on palates the other day and it looked like it may be an answer to your needs.

P.S. It's nice to here from a couple that are approaching life in a similar way.

Guest Chloe Renee

My wife and I are in the same situation. I am ready to progress and start hormones at a moments notice.

Back in January when I made up my mind to change my life I started doing yoga once a week. By mid April I could see changes in flexibility.

May 6th I started a diet/exercise program at 225lbs with yoga 3 times weekly class is about an hour and doing some moderate effort on the bike. As of today I am 207. My strength is better now than a year ago. Since yoga as is Pilates a concentration of stretching the body the muscle are leaner I managed to lose size in most of my muscle groups.

I have lost a half inch off my biceps,wrist calf, shoulders

An inch off my forearms, thighs

Inch and a half off my band size, while gaining a half to the cup (pec development)

Two inches off the gut/waist. My pants no longer fit. <_< ( I just bought 3 pairs earlier this month...)

I really like bikram or hot yoga an hour session burns 8-900 calories. And you feel so loose afterward.

Also both Pilates and yoga will help posture, and flow of movement... Something that this "new girl" needs

Another idea would be ballet, or other form of dance

Good luck in your journey together.

• 4 months later...
Guest KellyLBC

I'm glad I'm not the only one looking for a feminizing exercise. The yoga suggestion sounds like a plan. Congratulations Chloe on your progress! Keep it up :)

Guest Amethyst_Redemption

Yoga, running, and with abs focus more on cross body movements to cinch in the waist.

:)

... and glute and hip exercises to build up some hips... ;)

Guest Kelly-087

With my own exercise experience..

Yoga is probably your best choice.

Don't be afraid of weight lifting either, as long as you don't over eat you won't experience a bulk in your muscles. Body builders tend to have to eat incredible amounts of food to get those big muscles.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest leela_anima

I have actually done a lot of research of this on my own. I did specific weight training, to build intense muscle on just specific parts of my body. I've created feminine looking hips and thighs through muscle! i have a 30in waist, and a 39in hips, def makes me a weird looking male, but it gives me an hourglass figure! i have very fem looking hips and thighs that are little fat, the muscle gives the look! :D there are different types of weight lifting, you wanna go for the intense weight and low reps approach, as this rips the muscle deep and causes the most growth. there are exercises that target these muscles, the gluteus group of course:

http://legacy.owensboro.kctcs.edu/gcaplan/anat/Study%20Guide/Image887.gif

and then this one, the tensor fasciae latae:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e2/Anterior_Hip_Muscles_2.PNG/200px-Anterior_Hip_Muscles_2.PNG

you just use weights specifically on those parts, of course you'll totally avoid the upperbody, hope the info was helpful, i'm just so glad to see that you're a cisgendered woman who is supportive and understanding of your spouse, helpful even, that really lifts my spirits and hopes for the future! you are rare and valuable!

Guest Lacey Lynne

Congrats on realizing the importance of dieting and exercising!

It's a total-package kind of a thing. If you're serious about doing this, as well you should be, because we're talking about your health and wellbeing here, then make the MENTAL leap. What's that mean? That means decide to make a healthy lifestyle YOUR way of life!

The others above have given you very, very good advice! Kudos to them! Rock on!

Look, I'm not bragging or anything, but you DID ask about this, so I'm just saying, okay. Look at my avatar picture. That's from one year ago today. Today is Thanksgiving Day of 2011. I was age 55 in that picture. I'm in BETTER shape today at age 56. If they'd let me post a naked picture here, I'd show you me in the buff at age 56 at nearly 2 years on female hormones. I look a whole lot like this:

If you are SERIOUS about this, buy this book. Cory Everson, in her day (1980s/early 1990s), was the top female professional bodybuilder in the world. Study the master. I do. The results speak for themselves. Those few on here who have seen me know I'm not making this up or bragging. See many other people at age 55 and 56 looking this way? They could, but it takes knowledge, effort and commitment, and THAT'S what they lack. Sorry. Somebody's gotta come clean and spill the beans. People will hate me for saying this, but too bad. Pay the price. Get the benefits. It's that easy (and hard!). 'Nuff said.

Cory will teach you THE WHOLE BALLGAME of getting fit, fine and fabulous. You "gotta wanna" and just make it so. Go for the gusto, babes. It's NOT the hair, makeup and clothes that will get you the admiring looks so much as it IS your shape, carriage and glow.

Happy Thanksgiving :friends: Lacey Lynne

Edited by Carolyn Marie
Link deleted. Rule # 3, no underwear photos, including bikinis

Congrats on realizing the importance of dieting and exercising!

It's a total-package kind of a thing. If you're serious about doing this, as well you should be, because we're talking about your health and wellbeing here, then make the MENTAL leap. What's that mean? That means decide to make a healthy lifestyle YOUR way of life!

The others above have given you very, very good advice! Kudos to them! Rock on!

Look, I'm not bragging or anything, but you DID ask about this, so I'm just saying, okay. Look at my avatar picture. That's from one year ago today. Today is Thanksgiving Day of 2011. I was age 55 in that picture. I'm in BETTER shape today at age 56. If they'd let me post a naked picture here, I'd show you me in the buff at age 56 at nearly 2 years on female hormones. I look a whole lot like this:

If you are SERIOUS about this, buy this book. Cory Everson, in her day (1980s/early 1990s), was the top female professional bodybuilder in the world. Study the master. I do. The results speak for themselves. Those few on here who have seen me know I'm not making this up or bragging. See many other people at age 55 and 56 looking this way? They could, but it takes knowledge, effort and commitment, and THAT'S what they lack. Sorry. Somebody's gotta come clean and spill the beans. People will hate me for saying this, but too bad. Pay the price. Get the benefits. It's that easy (and hard!). 'Nuff said.

Cory will teach you THE WHOLE BALLGAME of getting fit, fine and fabulous. You "gotta wanna" and just make it so. Go for the gusto, babes. It's NOT the hair, makeup and clothes that will get you the admiring looks so much as it IS your shape, carriage and glow.

Happy Thanksgiving :friends: Lacey Lynne

Lacey honey, whats the name of the book? I'm interested, I think maybe you posted an image of the cover that was not allowed because it had a bikini on it (fair enough). But I think folks might like to know the title so we can try to find a copy. Anyways, you are doing something right. Happy thanksgiving girlfriend,

Kay

xx

Guest Lacey Lynne

KayJo:

Honey, go to www.amazon.com and look for:

Cory Everson's Fat-Free and Fit.

Actually, her books were completely written by her then-husband, Jeff Everson. They were both professional bodybuilders. They mutually decided that SHE had, far and away, a better chance to really make it big in professional bodybuilding, so they agreed that she would be out front in the public eye and that he would work behind the scenes promoting her, being the amanuensis of her books and designing her diet and exercise regimes. Result?

Cory Everson became a six-time Ms. Olympia which is the top prize in professional bodybuilding (like the Super Bowl is to professional football).

Fun Facts about This Topic:

Previously, Cory Everson and Arnold Schwarzenneger held the most-even Ms. Olympia and Mr. Olympia win records. However, both of them were later eclipsed by African Americans.

Cory Everson was eclipsed by Lenda Murray who went on to win 8 Ms. Olympia titles. Cory Everson had whether or not 6 Ms. Olympia titles.

Arnold Schwarzenegger was eclipsed by both Lee Haney and Ronnie Coleman who both eventually won 8 Mr. Olympia titles. Arnold had won 7 Mr. Olympia titles.

The point?

To this day, many purists in bobybuilding say that both Cory Everson and Arnold Schwarzenegger were the peak and epitome of the sport regarding aesthetics, presentation and charisma. I whole-heartedly concur.

Lenda Murray, Lee Haney and Ronnie Coleman were TOO developed and, while fantastically developed, were not nearly as pleasing to look at as either Cory Everson or Arnold Schwarzenegger. Presentation? NOBODY did it better than Arnold. Cory did it mighty darned well, though, and no female surpassed Cory in presentation. Charisma? Arnold WAS charisma personified. Cory had it in spades. I believe that Lenda, Lee and Ronnie basically did not have it though they were perfectly fine, intelligent and decent people. Charisma is that "it" factor, and one is born with it.

Now, Lenda, Lee and Ronnie being African American has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with any of this!

They hold the most titles and deserve total respect for this! The entire sport of professional bodybuilding went "over the top" years ago where it's become a veritable freak show rather than living artistry. Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree. I respect you if you do.

Bodybuilding Aesthetics:

For sheer christalmightyamazing aesthetic artisty, in my opinion, the titles go to four professional bobybuilders. Feel free to do Google searches on each of them and look at the IMAGES tab to actually see them.

In their PRIMES, the most aesthetic bodybuilders were:

Female:

Rachel McLish

Anja Langer

Male:

Frank Zane

Francis Benfatto.

Most knowledgeable bobybuilder ever?

The controversial, hardcore, amazing Iron Guru himself:

Vince Ginronda !!!

Vince's day was the 1940s. His gym was MECCA to professiona bodybuilders in the know. The most successful bodybuilding entrepreneur Joe Weider. He started the Mr. Olympia and Ms. Olympia contests. Basically, Joe Weider and his brother Ben singlehandedly built the sport of professional bodybuilding. My point? It was Joe Weider who discovered Arnold Schwarzenegger and brought him over from Austria when Arnold was age 19. Who did Joe Weider send Arnold to for honing and polishing into shape before Joe promoted Arnold as the then-greatest-ever bodybuilder?

Joe sent Arnold to Vince Gironda!

Vince's gym was SOOO hardcore. No music. No BS. Old equipment. Vince tyrannically in charge. Disagree with him or pee him off, and you were history ... banned from gym and auspecies forever. Hardcore old Italian ... sigh ... I know them well ... I was raised by them.

Google Vince Gironda and look at the IMAGES tab. Those in the know to this very day say The Iron Guru knew more about bodybuilding than anybody else. His ideas were out there. His exercises were unsual. His supplementation regimens were insane.

And, NOBODY could whip somebody into shape like The Iron Guru!

If you can find it, buy Vince Gironda's book "Unleashing The Wild Physique" and remember, Vince trained the very first Mr. Olympia, Larry Scott who had virtually no chance of even hoping to become a professional bodybuilder. Vince whipped him into shape enough to become the sports very first professional champion.

Have I bored you to death? Sorry. I tend to go overboard that way.

Peace Out, Babes, and get the knowledge and the desire and hit the gym, honey! You'll be glad you did!

Kudos :friends: Lacey

• 3 months later...
Guest Morathz

I would really like to know more about what leela_anima was talking about ... do you have any more information about what particular techniques you use to build those muscles?

• Forum Moderator

Hi Morathz,

Yes lower body (glutes, hips, thighs) can be enhanced by building muscle in these areas. Walking (not strolling, power walking) works for me, it's awesome exercise, I do 5 miles pretty much everyday, and love it. In addition to this, there are many exercises one can do to enhance these areas us MTF find challenging, I use some of these routines found in this video, they work for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8udQ-h4Y4BY

Have fun.

Cindy -

Guest Stuck

Great video, but the problem with linking to YT, esp with gender stuff is that I end up following related links for way longer than I can afford too ;)

I wonder about people's thoughts on exercise of this type before, and during/after transition. For example, is it better to focus on certain things before starting hormones, and on different or more things after starting, about things to avoid before or during, etc. Its a bit late, so I hope I'm explaining that well.

• 1 month later...
Guest HeatherS

Hello I have found all the information here helpfull and am starting to exercise and am working on my diet harder to change then i thought I am going to go and get help with that and maybe a gym membership?

Guest leela_anima

ok sorry for the late reply but i actually got creative with this one...

first, you must realize how weight training works... you either get brute size(which is what you want) or a tighter, compact muscle(that's for your waist...) the difference between the two is that for the first, you do fewer reps, with a much heavier weight, while for the latter, you a much lighter weight with numerous results..

so the three exercises that i do that really helped is the basic squat, the side squat lunges, and side leg lifts.

so the creative part... in order to maximize results for size, you want a lot of intense weight for these exercises, but how there all taught is that you have to either hold the weights with you hands or place them on your shoulder, which would mean your upper body could possibly gain from the exercises themselves, which is counter to what we gals want, so~... you know those circular weights that you put on a barbell for deadlifts and other upperbody exercises? i would make a wire loop through the center hole using any bendable metal wire, to make a loop hole of sorts on the outside edge of the weight, then i would run a strong belt through those metal loops i created, to basically make a very heavy weight belt. i would position two 25 lb weights on each side of my thighs, having a total of 100 lbs strapped to my waist! so when i do a squat, or a side lunge, or a side-ways leg lift, my legs, thighs, and butt reallllllly have to work hard, while your upper body doesn't!

the key to all those exercises is that you push from the heel, not the front of your feet... g'luck! :D