Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Riana

Spirits And Gender

5 posts in this topic

I have several (pre-transition) trans friends who say their spirits are female, and some even feel that their spirit is not human. A while ago me and a friend were talking about spirits and how one's spirit could male, female or even had a gender at all. I'm an atheist and I've always been very scientifically-minded, and it never really made sense to me. I wondered how a spirit could have a gender if a body is really just made up of smaller parts that have no gender of their own. Why did the first species to evolve gender evolve a gendered spirit? What makes spirits incompatible with their bodies?

And then I thought... maybe a spirit is not really a single entity? Maybe spirits are collectives, energy fields that are made up of smaller parts that add up together to make a whole? It kind of made sense to me in a way, because in science there are also sometimes fields that extend and combine with other nearby fields. Just think of gravity, where two bodies have the force of the combination of the two. So then what makes one's spirit transgender and not match their body? Maybe it's like in electric fields, where opposite charges create fields that cancel each other out. Maybe that is what so many of us suffer from - our bodies and minds act to cancel out opposing spiritual energies, and it leaves us disconnected and feeling empty.

I don't really mean anything with this but I thought it was an interesting idea worth sharing. :)

I'm Kemetic Orthodox -- aka ancient Egyptian religion for modern times. We consider the self to be 7 spirits or bodies. Without going too far into specifics, we don't believe in a strict gender binary.

I've been unable to determine which of those spirits determines gender. I was expecting it to be the ka -- the "spirit" associated with personality and consciousness -- but I'm told this is not so. The answer may be that "determine" is the wrong concept. It's also that "theory stuff doesn't matter." (Egypt was famous for mystic woo, but in a lot of ways it was really practical.)

You've got me curious again though, so I'm tempted to look into this further.

To me the answer seems very simple. Energy never becomes more or less, it is simpley transformed into something else. That's why it would seem logical that certain energy particles, 'known as the soul' may or may not change depending on all sorts of things. Which also brings in scientific question a to the existance of reincarnation. So in this theory some people may be able to become the newly assigned gender, but some may not. Ummm, your thoughts?

Consciousness is like an onion, we are operating on the surface of the onion. Peel back a layer and you find something deeper and richer, peel back another layer and you find even more. I believe we are all spiritual beings and we are existing in encounter suits. That is, a suit (body) designed to allow us (as spirit) to interact with this place (earth, physical reality).

I have been able to explore a couple of layers down in the onion and I too found a female consciousness. I believe there are deeper layers and at the deepest layer believe that the inner most me (and others) is "all of the above", that is, both masculine and feminine. Our existence as we know it is the result of a choice, a set of options if you will. That is, I chose a male body and it has served me well, however, during my entire life I have been drawing on my feminine side without really realizing it was there. Later in life I became aware of it, very aware of it and am not consciously directing my life with full knowledge of my feminine and masculine side..

-Meri

Hello all,

My take on it is much like Meri's.

I am a believer in reincarnation and for this existence I chose a female body so that I can get experience of life as a female. However I feel very masculine (femininely masculine). I identify as androgynous but labels for me are never accurate, I think in truth I have had many lifetimes as male and I still feel very male. I've tried to figure myself out for years but now I just accept that I'm having a female experience in life. I don't want to transition to male because I accept my body as it is and believe it is what I chose to do, to live this incarnation as female.

However, the true me is a male energy with a twist of femininity :)