• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

V A Directive

He is wrong in saying no. Go to your patient advocate and let them know what is happening. Take a copy of the directive with you.

My patient advocate is like talking to brick wall.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MackenzieB

• Nicole W

• Jani

• Ivy

He is wrong in saying no. Go to your patient advocate and let them know what is happening. Take a copy of the directive with you.

Go up the chain, and be the squeaky wheel.

Go up the chain, and be the squeaky wheel.

Calling my congressman in the am.....

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Ashley40

Hi,

I've been using the VA medical system since 2001 or so, I enrolled about 7 years after SRS and I make it a point to tell whichever doc is my current primary care person, all about my medical history.Everyone giving me medical care needs to know ALL the facts, the major and the trivia, in order to give me the best medical care possible. The computerized history system has improved dramatically just since I enrolled.

I suspect, however, the medical history system is separate from the administrative system. Administrative being my DD214 information.

I've had competent physicans, not so competent, but regardless, the care and caring from the staff has been, and continuues to be first class. !

Thanks

Ashley

• 1 month later...

I am in the va system and my care was very good for my physical dissabillities but havnt had the guts to get to a phycologist there yet now that I cant drive anymore Im to far away to return to va care and am on dissabillity.hopefully I can get a way to see one of theyre therapists.

• 3 months later...

Wait, wait wait, can someone explain the "benefits" portion to me in simplified terms. Because I'm now wondering if this means my financial worries about all of this are for nothing.

I am a vet, USAF, AFSC 2A651, in case someone is wondering. Not 100% sure that's the right AFSC, been three years since I last looked. Aerospace Propulsion (ENGINES!), just sucks I don't have FAA certifications to get on at an airport somewhere/anywhere.

• 2 years later...
  • Forum Moderator

I don't begrudge my fellow vets who were injured or disabled in combat going to the front of the line.  But, I do think that all vets who served honorably should have access to all VA benefits without exception.

• 6 months later...

I have been using the VA in Boston area for the last 6 years. Along with working with them for Vet2Vet Boston Trans Peer Support Groups, which I help run.

While I have been doing this, I have been able to work with Jillian Sheppard which is one of the people that helped right the Original directive and is working to improve services. If any one has any issues with care or services in the VA system, please contact me and I will put you in contact with her or someone that is willing to help. If you are local to the area, I can introduce you to her.

• Forum Moderator

Hello Wolf, welcome from another vet and New Englander!  Please head over to the Intro sub-forum and tell us a bit about yourself!

Jani

• 11 months later...

I’m a 50% rated vet and have used the va system since early 2000’s and have seen it change for the better. I have recently come out to my therapist and he is going to help me 100% to reach my transition goals. I have had excellent care through the system and recommend anyone that can to try and use it. The va is very lenient on rating conditions in most cases and the higher your rating the less you pay for coverage. I used to be 20% rated and only paid $8 a month for prescriptions all other care was 100% covered and it was a blessing before my current job and insurance coverage. If you haven’t tried or have been rejected in the past either try now or start/appeal past claim with advocacy assistance.

• 7 months later...

I see this is an older thread, but I'll add my own bit.

I am getting my health care from the VA now myself.  Before getting into the system the best I could find/afford was from Planned Parenthood who would not proscribe estrogen because of my age.  When I enrolled in the VA, I made sure to tell the doctor that I was on progesterone and why.  They set me right up to consult with a psychologist (with the expected wait time) and she sent me to the endocrinologist without any problems.  After warning me of the possible bad stuff, he gave me my estradiol patches.

In all my interactions with the staff, they have always been respectful toward me.  There is also a support group, but unfortunately the distance involved makes it hard for me to attend that.

• Forum Moderator

Thats good Jandi.  Its in line with what I have heard with many VA centers. 

22 hours ago, Jandi said:

I see this is an older thread, but I'll add my own bit.

I am getting my health care from the VA now myself.  Before getting into the system the best I could find/afford was from Planned Parenthood who would not proscribe estrogen because of my age.  When I enrolled in the VA, I made sure to tell the doctor that I was on progesterone and why.  They set me right up to consult with a psychologist (with the expected wait time) and she sent me to the endocrinologist without any problems.  After warning me of the possible bad stuff, he gave me my estradiol patches.

In all my interactions with the staff, they have always been respectful toward me.  There is also a support group, but unfortunately the distance involved makes it hard for me to attend that.

I see you are in NC as well.  I have had nothing but positive experiences with the VA hospital in Durham.  If you use the Durham VA, you should always be treated well.  That has been my experience anyway.

I go to the Asheville VA, but I have been to the Durham VA a couple of times.  I was staying with a daughter who lives there at the time. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Donna Jean wrote "

It may do Orchies and does all the time in cases of testicle cancer. But as far as an MTF issue, I've only heard of a couple of instances and the doctor covered it under other guidelines than SRS ....

Dee Jay"

The VA WILL do orchidectomies, IAW 1341(2) (2021.) in the case of three Medical HRT fails. The endocrinologist will/shall advise you of this option. Should you elect to avail yourself of it, S/he (the Endo) will cut a Consult to Urology shop where you will be interviewed.Given a successful candidacy from that interview, that Urologist MD will present your case to a board of Attendings to ascertain your full candidacy for the operation. A positive result from the Board of Attendings will place you in queue for the op.   Kjiersten  <Kj>

• 1 year later...
On 4/16/2012 at 8:18 AM, Guest Donna Jean said:

The Veterans Administration will NOT cover SRS but will cover some complications connected to your SRS at a later time....

It may do Orchies and does all the time in cases of testicle cancer. But as far as an MTF issue, I've only heard of a couple of instances and the doctor covered it under other guidelines than SRS ....

Dee Jay

I was advised by a few doctors and psychiatrist that the VA does cover SRS. They of course said that it won't be overnight but there's a process. They don't cover breast augmentation, shaving of the trach, butt/hip implants, facial surgery and they won't pay for the removal of facial hair (which would be nice if they did)

• 3 months later...
On 5/3/2023 at 3:37 PM, Ashley0616 said:

I was advised by a few doctors and psychiatrist that the VA does cover SRS. They of course said that it won't be overnight but there's a process. They don't cover breast augmentation, shaving of the trach, butt/hip implants, facial surgery and they won't pay for the removal of facial hair (which would be nice if they did)

Ask for electrolysis and have them cite “hirsutism” as the justification. That’s how I’ve seen others getting it approved. I’ll be trying myself soon.