• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Charlene's Movie Review

Guest CharliTo

Guest CharliTo

Figured I'd flex my film major-ness here. Yay! :) Come back to see what movies I'll review. :3 (and feel free to put your own reviews here too!!!)

Charlene

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CharliTo

Alllllriiiight, here goes:

I just saw Hulk at the dollar theatre...yeah, the new one.

I thought it was pretty nice. Not the best flick of the summer, but it was definitely worth the $1 I spent to watch it.

The story was simple, but it was playing it safe because it would quickly get enveloped by the characters if it's too complicated... I did like their take on dealing w/ trying to control vs. trying to get rid of things.

The action was...wow, it was amazing. Without spoiling it, I wanna say I totally want to put some Metalocalypse music and watch it again.

The acting was a whole lot better this time around. Edward Norton is such a person you wouldn't expect, but the story and acting plays around that concept well.

The cinematography was okay, but I really loved the "City of God" imitated style in the beginning. It was a refreshing look to things.

Overall, I'll give it a 3 3/4 star out of 5 stars. It was entertaining, but wasn't as strong of a movie as Iron Man or Dark Knight. I think it is a bit more moving than Iron Man though...(Although, I'm a harsh star giver by the way...)

Oh! and watch the end, too...it'll be pretty neat ;)

Guest CharliTo

Yaaay, another one while my computer is d/ling something...

I'm going to cover an independant film that hopefully will play in film festivals around you. This particular feature film was about an intersexed child.

XXY

http://xxylapelicula.puenzo.com/main.html

This particular film played at a local GLBT film festival and I was interested because it won the Critic's Week for the prestigious Cannes Film Festival and it had a lot to do with the struggles of being gendered different...and in this case, being intersexed.

There were a lot of suprises here and there. (actually, that's an understatement, but yeah) I've never seen a film like this ever. It does cover a basic romance story line too, but it's told like no other. The story is amazing. (Although there are a few factual errors about having Klinefelter's)

It's a great film that asks that age old question, "What is love?"

Acting was oh wow, awesome. Alex, the protagonist played a very complex character that don't really have examples. Alvaro, the boy who Alex falls in love with having struggles with his ...well, I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just call it "problem" is really good at acting too...especially when he's frazzled. The scene where they brush teeths is one of the best I've seen between two young actors.

Cinematography was great. Above average and some scenes are very memorable just because of how beautiful and ethnic it is down in Uruguay.

Overall? Well, it's officially in my top 10 films I like in my life. This got 4 1/2 star out of 5 for me. (told you I'm a harsh grader! It's one of my favorite films, but I still don't give a 5 :P)

So especially for everybody in this forum, you might want to see it if you still have doubts (like everybody does)...It was a good way to find out something about myself too.

I heard that the U.S. premiere was on June 2008, but I saw it way before that...hm....oh well :P

• 1 month later...
Guest CharliTo

Allriiiiiight, another review.

I've been sooooooooooo busy w/ the Hawaii International Film Festival that I haven't really posted for a while....but what great timing to post for this right?

Well, today, I'm going to review Taiwan's nomination for the Oscars of the Best Foreign Film, "Cape No.7"

Cape No. 7 is a story of a man, Aga, a band singer, who returns to Hengchun with frustration. Tomoko is a Japanese model assigned to organize a local warm-up band for the Japanese super star beach concert. Together with other five ordinary Hengchun residents who were not expected to be great or anything, they formed an impossible band.

It's a sweet film that is rather ordinary, but well executed. I can really sense the director's vision of love...and it is a very tender love.

The actors did a great job...and there's a nice mix of characters that seems to work well together despite the huge cast. They are all memorable too, which was nice.

It's not something you would call as "the best film you've ever seen" but...it's definitely one of those films you don't wanna miss if you come across it in film festivals. I got the pleasure to meet and hang out with the director and see his film and it is really nice...so definitely check it out! :)

I'll give it a 4 star out of 5 :)

I'll probably review more neat independent films in the coming week and hopefully "W" when it comes out...but until next week, I'm busy doing things for the film festival :).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CharliTo

I'm going to randomly review an oldie but a goodie. Well,actually, I'll just cut the looong description and just go ahead and say that Unbreakable was amazing. I wish they would make a sequel to it. :3 (That would hopefully end M. Knight Shyamalan's bad streaks :P) I give it a 4 out of 5.

• 1 month later...
Guest CharliTo

The Spirit

Mmm, 3 1/2 out of 5.

If you liked Sin City's style of story telling and shots, then you'll love this one too. Some people who give it bad rating takes it too seriously and I believe they don't understand how classic comic books worked like.

This movie, like Sin City, follows true to the comic book with its cinematography and story....so if you wanna have this feel of reading a comic book, but you don't have to use your imaginations, this is very very very good.

Also....for the gynophillics...the girls in it are very muy bien. :P (and even for the androphillics...the main character's topless sometimes and yeah, it's pretty muy caliente :3)

:D

Also....for the gynophillics...the girls in it are very muy bien. :P (and even for the androphillics...the main character's topless sometimes and yeah, it's pretty muy caliente :3)

:D

:lol: see this is why i like your reviews so much better than the ones they put in the paper! they don't tell you some of the finer points of the movie :rolleyes:

Guest CharliTo

The Crying Game

4 1/2 out of 5

So my friend besides to be sneaky and gave me this for Christmas. I didn't know ANYthing about the story so I kinda watched it without any prior knowledge. Iiiii'll try to make this review without spoilers.

Well, quite simply stating...if you think of how M. Knight Shamalayn's films are full of plot twists? Well, think of this having like 7 of his best plot twists.

It's worth it. It iss.....well....hm....how can I phrase this without spoiling things. Either way, I would recommend folks from here to watch it :3

Guest CharliTo
:lol: see this is why i like your reviews so much better than the ones they put in the paper! they don't tell you some of the finer points of the movie :rolleyes:

llllooollll

I somehow missed this comment. Thank you :D

New review! This one'll be about Milk....this movie is about Harvey Milk, an openly gay politician who invigorates and gives hopes to the gay rights activism...

What I think of it?

Great movie. very great.

I can't seem to get that last message Harvey Milk gave in the movie out of my head hours after the movie has finished.

If you've ever been in the service for the public...or for others... I think you'll find it great. If you ever had somebody suicide on your watch...or even if you never saw that happen to you...it's great too. It's not all about the gay activism..it's about the people who gave it their best to give others hope.

I seriously would recommend all those that are active here in the forums to watch it... After I saw the movie, I think it really straightened out my reasons why I do what I do sometimes.

Story is great. I wasn't bawling, but I was definitely tearing in the end. Cinematography is unique in some style, but wasn't the most impressive part.

I would still give it a 4 1/2 out of 5.

Oh..and speaking of the bonus things...for the androphillics...well, needless to say, woo wee, there are hot scenes. I mean...c'mon...Sean Penn slaps some naked man-buttocks. You can't miss watching that :P.

Guest CharliTo

Valkyrie

3 1/2 out of 5

Even though this is the movie I was looking forward to, I unfortunately was not impressed by it...much like Superman was like to most people. Maybe Singer's going soft on the story now? Unlike his X-Men 2 storyline or Usual Suspect storyline? I dunno. I don't think it plays around with the idea that we know what'll happen enough like films in the past have done...especially history films (Milk, Frost/Nixon comes to mind from recent days)

Either way, it's definitely great to watch as a suspense film though. Popcorn isn't too necessary because this movie goes straight into the meat of the story without any compromising...so that was awesome. That 2 hours will go by quick, trust me. Also, the main character is very war beaten, which is interesting in an image conscious hollywood movie. Not many times will you see a main character lead the story after they lost...a few body parts. (spoiler alert? Naw, hardly if you read up the history on him)

So overall, this film is great to watch, but as a person who expected this to be a Oscar contender, it wasn't enough for it. Go out and see and support this film ;) You'll definitely have a different view of Germany.

Oh, and as far as the usual bonus review...nothing special on that note...so sorry...no naked Tom Cruise folks...but somehow him being all stern and revolutionary is kinda sexy...not to mention that he's in this very awesome military uniform. For naked Cruise, just watch Eyes Wide Shut.

• 2 months later...
Guest CharliTo

Yay, I didn't get to this for a while.

so....

WATCHMEN!!!

who saw it :D?

Anyways, this is what kind of what I put for my facebook movie review. I fleshed it out a bit more :3:

3 1/2 stars out of 5

"It's okay.. Sorry, I know...I wanted to rate it higher too. I can't really give it higher than a C... The slowness of the beginning really really killed it for me...I mean, they coulda

done it well like There Will Be Blood did, but it was just agonizing after the 10th flashback shots during the intro. What the heck was up with the intro taking the first 30 minutes of the film? Anyways, some of the fights were epic...some were trying too hard to let people know what's about to happen. Also, what is up with the out of shape character taking off his clothes to reveal six packs? That bugged me out. I mean, I guess it was a rather pleasant suprise to see a six pack finally, but really. It bugged me. Another thing though...Rorshach was AWESOME. Not only him, but all the acting was pretty great and very spot on if you know the comic. Watching Rorschach made watching the film worth it. The "getting it on" scene was pretty nicely done too..."