• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hair

Guest Gabochi

Guest Gabochi

Ok I'm thinking about growing my hair out and then straightening it. That way I can be comfortable whichever gender I'm feeling. I'll try to get some pics up tonight of my current hairstyle.

Guest Gabochi

Sorry guys I'll try Thursday night. My parents are home :/ If I can tonite I will but don't count on it...then again they just left...lol but don't get your hopes up.

Guest Gabochi

100_3579.jpg?t=1311723688

Yes I know I look 13 lol. That's spiked up hair. I couldn't find the pomade so I used hairspray (which doesn't work that well). The intense summer heat has kept me almost exclusively indoors so yes, I'm very white. ^_^

Guest Micha

Well hell, your hair's very cool right now, but I do feel that it'll look stellar if you let it grow out.

Keep in mind I am jealous of all forms and styles of hair, having none of my own. I shall live vicariously through others. ^_^ Keep them pics coming so we can see how it's workin out for you.

Guest kylie666

=) i started growing my hair out about 6 months ago, I went from a BUZZ cut to now 6" My goal is 12"-14" My bangs are so long they are close to touching my nose :wub: I can even put my hair in cute little pigs tails now.. It's SOOooo Cute i love it.

I say in about 7-10 more months i'll have 12-14" hair ;) That's going to be SOOO awesome.

Guest Gabochi

Well hell, your hair's very cool right now, but I do feel that it'll look stellar if you let it grow out.

Keep in mind I am jealous of all forms and styles of hair, having none of my own. I shall live vicariously through others. ^_^ Keep them pics coming so we can see how it's workin out for you.

Ok. There is an awkward part though...where its too short to staighten but to long to spike. I doubt ill show many pics of that. Tho I may try a mohawk just for you guys ^_^ Problem. I've got extremely oily hair. Anyone know any good hair products for that?

Guest terra

Mohawks are the way to go, my mohawk is currently about 8-10 inches and i can tie the top n a sort of topknot ponytail :) its a reddy, pinky, purpley melting pot of oddness neatly offset by my 2 month beard thats down to my chest lol. I dunno why but i just loooove me beard and curly moustache :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest alicewonders

Didnt want to start a new post so though it would be ok to post in this one... Saturday i finally went back to my "me" hair style and had my friend pull the top and middle of my hair to a bun and shave off the sides and back... I feel so much more like myself now and am starting to wonder why i even let it grow out in the first place. If i can ever get my phone to work right i might be able to post pic...

Sounds awesome! Growing up that was more or less the style of choice for most the kids I hung out with. Had somethin like it myself too. ^_^ It was cool. Not as cool as when I had a full head of shoulder length hair, but tha's my bias. :P

*curses Scandinavian/Dutch genetics*

Guest alicewonders

Hey think we are cursing the blood lines..lol... On my dads side his mother is half norwegian and my moms mother came over with her family from holland when she was 3 or 4 i think... Rest of my family are native american though...

Hey think we are cursing the blood lines..lol... On my dads side his mother is half norwegian and my moms mother came over with her family from holland when she was 3 or 4 i think... Rest of my family are native american though...

Mind trip. . . tha's a lot like my kidlins' ancestry. Mi Oma and Opa from Amsterdam and Rotterdam respectively, my paternal great grandather from Denmark, I believe someone married into his family was Norweigian. . . and my wife is primarily Navajo, but also Apache, Blackfoot and . . . bugger me, I forgot the rest.

Needless to say they got better hair than me. :lol:

• 4 months later...
Guest Chimetals

im an english mutt, but my hair grows like a weed.

hmm...as far as greasy hair goes, i dont know any products, but perhaps showering twice a day could help?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Chrysee

I'm Swedish, English, French, and in general your classic Heinz 57.

My hair is a psychotic haystack. I am seriously thinking about having it styled in a 'long haired punk' look. This would involve thinning it so that it falls to my shoulders sticking closely to the contour of my face. Then, on one side, it would comb forward across my forward to the eyebrow. And of course there would be small spike here and there.

Somehow I only now noticed this thread.

And as to the original question, Gabochi. . .As to your hair, well there used to be an old expression that the late Johnny Carson used a lot back in the day: "If you've got it. . .flaunt it!"

I think that he got it from some commercial.

And that's the way it is.

With love,

Cissy

Guest Luna Selene

Heyo,

So I've got some greasy hair, but it tends to fro out when it gets long. In highschool, I was rocking the emo look before emo had a name. I woke up every morning a whole two hours early to do my hair. I usually used a flat iron, (burnt the craaaaaaap out of my ears) some hair wax, and a brush to try and tame my mane in vein. By early afternoon the oils in my hair started to make the product slimier, and my sweat would end up undoing my wispiness, until I wound up with straight hair on my crown and the rest of it would curl. A terrible look for me. I have long since learned that my hair will do whatever it damn pleases, and I shouldn't anger it by hot irons.

Regardless, that probably wasn't very helpful, what I did pull from that is:

Not every hairstyle will work for everyhead, so if you ideals don't work, don't get discouraged, just find something you like as well, or make your own!

If your hair is oily, it is more important to condition it. I condition everyday and actually wash it either every other or every three. This cuts the oil and makes it feel nicer.

Lastly, I have to say I think the mohawk would be an excellent idea. This allows you to get your hair long, Rock the masculinity, or wear it down. If anybody comments on your long hair, you can show them the mohawk, simple escape. (that is if you want the escape)

Cheers,

_Luna

I have long since learned that my hair will do whatever it damn pleases,

For me. . .

What hair? :lol:

I had long hair from the end of middle school to the end of high school, shaved sides, long on top, down to my shoulders. I always desired shoulder length hair, but for some reason ( *ahem* ) thought that as a boy, I needed shaved sides as a boy to pull it off. I used to pride myself on how my hair was longer than most boys, and envied the two boys I knew who had longer hair. More than that though, I wondered at boys who had thick hair and didn't wear it long - why waste the gift you had?

Eventually genetics won out, and though I could have long hair in back on on my sides (kind of ironic, yah?), my hair on top thinned out rapidly and looked outright ridiculous - short, long or otherwise. I saw a pic of progressive thrash metal artist Devin Townsend (http://en.wikipedia....in_Townsend.jpg) and thought in horror, that's my fate. I mean, I thought this baldness was for old people! He's not old. . . I'm not old! How could this happen!?

Most distressing.

My hair used to get oily fast, I would have to shampoo and condition it every day. Still, it left me.

So here I am today, bald and remorseful. I've tried to grow it out again, and it looks ridiculous.

Maybe not the best reason, but it's one of many I focus on identity more than expression. I applaude everyone who can carryout either/or expression, but my experience - with this among other things - has led me to realize the importance of internal identity over outward expression.

My take is absolutely subjective, but for anyone who struggles with the typical appearance of their gender, I want to prove to you and everyone that looking the part is of pitiful unimportance compared to being true to how you feel. Tha's me, tha's my goal. . . and here I still am, and always will be - androgynous.

Guest xjpopfanx

Really wondering if the op managed to grow his hair out. xD Would be interesting to see it months along! I have quite long hair so I can easily choose whichever gender I please. ^^

Guest Inverse

I have long since learned that my hair will do whatever it damn pleases,

For me. . .

What hair? :lol:

I had long hair from the end of middle school to the end of high school, shaved sides, long on top, down to my shoulders. I always desired shoulder length hair, but for some reason ( *ahem* ) thought that as a boy, I needed shaved sides as a boy to pull it off. I used to pride myself on how my hair was longer than most boys, and envied the two boys I knew who had longer hair. More than that though, I wondered at boys who had thick hair and didn't wear it long - why waste the gift you had?

Eventually genetics won out, and though I could have long hair in back on on my sides (kind of ironic, yah?), my hair on top thinned out rapidly and looked outright ridiculous - short, long or otherwise. I saw a pic of progressive thrash metal artist Devin Townsend (http://en.wikipedia....in_Townsend.jpg) and thought in horror, that's my fate. I mean, I thought this baldness was for old people! He's not old. . . I'm not old! How could this happen!?

Most distressing.

My hair used to get oily fast, I would have to shampoo and condition it every day. Still, it left me.

So here I am today, bald and remorseful. I've tried to grow it out again, and it looks ridiculous.

Maybe not the best reason, but it's one of many I focus on identity more than expression. I applaude everyone who can carryout either/or expression, but my experience - with this among other things - has led me to realize the importance of internal identity over outward expression.

My take is absolutely subjective, but for anyone who struggles with the typical appearance of their gender, I want to prove to you and everyone that looking the part is of pitiful unimportance compared to being true to how you feel. Tha's me, tha's my goal. . . and here I still am, and always will be - androgynous.

This touched me, and makes me feel ridiculously shallow for my stupid post in the passing thread. :< I have so much to learn still.

Oh no, don't feel shallow, you're feelings are real, true and should not be invalidated at all. This was my experience that I have to deal with, you have something just like it that you're dealing with. We all have to make the best of what we got, and tha's what I'm trying to do. I'm coming to terms with my situation, and focusing on things that I can do more about. Tha's me, applicable only to my life. There is no wrong way, just find your way.

Short curly hair definately works for women, it does nothing to take away from femininity, so you'll be able to find a length and style that suits you, then you'll make it yours and there won't be any question. I understand doubt and insecurity, and the thing about both that I know for sure, they can be overcome. Then you're sure of yourself, how you feel and what you want. From that point, passing won't even be a question, you won't have to pass, cuz you'll be who and what you are and you'll feel it so strongly only a fool would doubt you.

We all got lots to learn, tha's life. No worries, jus keep on keepin on.