• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Assessment For Alcoholism

Michelle 2010

20 Questions

The Twenty Questions that helped me

decide that I was alcoholic.

The 20 Questions

Take this 20 question test to help you decide whether or not you are an alcoholic.

Answer YES or NO to the following questions.

1. Do you lose time from work due to drinking?

YES __ NO __

2. Is drinking making your home life unhappy?

YES __ NO __

3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people?

YES __ NO __

4. Is your drinking affecting your reputation?

YES __ NO __

5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?

YES __ NO __

6. Have you ever got into financial difficulties as a result of drinking?

YES __ NO __

7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking?

YES __ NO __

8. Does your drinking make you careless of your family's welfare?

YES __ NO __

9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking?

YES __ NO __

10. Do you crave a drink at a definite time?

YES __ NO __

11. Do you want a drink the next morning?

YES __ NO __

12. Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?

YES __ NO __

13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?

YES __ NO __

14. Is drinking jeopardizing your job or business?

YES __ NO __

15. Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?

YES __ NO __

16. Do you drink alone?

YES __ NO __

17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?

YES __ NO __

18. Has your physician ever treated you for drinking?

YES __ NO __

19. Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?

YES __ NO __

20. Have you ever been to a hospital or institution because of drinking?

YES __ NO __

What's your score?

If you have answered YES to any one of the questions, there is a definite warning that you may be an alcoholic.

If you have answered YES to any two, the chances are that you are an alcoholic.

If you answered YES to three or more, you are definitely an alcoholic.

(The test questions are used at Johns Hopkins University Hospital, Baltimore, MD, in deciding whether or not a patient is an alcoholic).

• Admin

What do you mean one or two indicate it!! :lol:

Some of us don't learn until we get a perfect score on this test!!! :banghead:

Too many of us get question 21 right though!

"Have you ever been in a fatal accident that left your spouse a widow/widower."

When you get that one right, its a little late to begin recovery!! :poster_oops:

Guest Megan_Lynn

I realy do not want to doubt this test but I scored a 3 and I am not nor was I ever a big drinker. Normal year for me is 1-2 beers 1-2 glasses of wine and once in a very very rare ocation something like a pina colada. I scored yes to

5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking? (yes is sucks to vist the porcilien phone to God has been Omg 15 years since I did that one)

7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking? ( buzzed aka drunk people never seem to care who they bs with...lol)

17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking? ( had one time over 20 years ago that I can not remmeber)

Over time, many here may choose to answer the questions. The test and scoring is similar to others, including one used in AA. Each person needs to decide for him/herself if they have a problem. I took the test 20 years before I decided to do something about my drinking. For most alcoholics, self knowledge will not alter behavior. In my youth, #3 and #19 were the reasons. #16 came along later followed by #15 and #17.

The disease is progressive. Only when the positives of using alcohol are outweighed by the pain of using alcohol do most true alcoholics choose to get sober. The simplest way to determine if alcohol is a problem is to stop drinking. For a non alcoholic it isn't a struggle. For an alcoholic, for whom alcohol was the solution to life's complexities, life becomes a bit more of a struggle... Finally, as a dear friend says, he knew he was an alcoholic because "when I drank I couldn't stop, and when I stopped I couldn't stay stopped".

Dealing with this issue is intensely personal. No one can decide the issue for you, not parents, spouse or employer. Recovery is not possible if the patient doesn't believe he has a problem. I won't post in this thread regarding the merits of the test or its validity. But discussions of alcoholism , its health, social, and behavioral consequences and any questions of an individual nature would be great topics in the forum and are truly welcome. Who knows, Your question may help someone else who is wondering if they have a problem ,too.

For me, the good news was that I got help. I never knew that the way I always felt when I stopped on my own wasn't a life sentence. I learned a way of life where i didn't need to feel restless and irritable,even "caged' when not drinking. I hadn't realized there was an alternative. But the good news is it isn't necessary to feel that way.

Regards

Michelle

Edited by Michelle 2010
spelling
Guest Vixen Amber

Yeah it seems a bit biased against drinking if I say so myself. By the logic of that drinking once a year would deem one a alcoholic. Just me I guess.

Guest cerise

It's more of a place start .

I did not have to take the test as I knew and as Michelle said usually" the pain of continuing to drink has to be greater than the pain of stopping," for anyone who is alcoholic to .

Even the knowledge of ones own alcoholism is not enough .

C

Guest cerise

Sorry for the double dip on the post but here goes.

Alcoholics are usually willful self powered people and in most cases an event of some negative or catastrophic kind has to occur for them to actually consider doing anything about it .

Attempts at controlling their drinking or modification of how and when they drink .

If I could control my drinking , I would not be an alcoholic.

• 4 months later...
Guest Eva.Angeli

hmmmm, I will think about it... I drink a lot but... Well I said "but" so...?

well actually I Have drank less since I have started dealing with my gender in a real way. Guess I should give the "stoping for a while" test a go.

The last time I talked to an AA guy he said go to a bar and have one drink, then stop. Well I can do that, but then I drink more when I get home...

So, yeah, time to think about it again I guess.

• 10 months later...

AT VickySGV

"Some of us don't learn until we get a perfect score on this test!!!" LOL that remark is a little to close for comfort though.

I'm damn close though to a perfect score, but I have to side with Megan_Lynn in that three makes you an alcoholic, I can only honestly answer NO to three though so....?

• 6 months later...

I answer no to 5 so yes to 15 good thing I admitted my issue and started AA the other day before i hurt myself or others :)

• 1 year later...
Guest ericajordan

-sorry- this one please:

17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking? First time I drank: age 13. A bottle of Wild Irish Rose 'wine'.

16. Do you drink alone? yes, no one else would touch that nasty overly sweet wine

5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking? Next day, when my father punished me for being drunk

4. Is your drinking affecting your reputation? My Grandmother caught me and was very disappointed

By the definition, I was an alcoholic, the first time I drank at age 13??? Seems a little over broad.

PS: I am drinking right now!! LOL.

• Forum Moderator

I also drank at 13. I found that if i had one i always wanted another and another. I'm not sure that the questions above provide what is an overly broad definition. Another question might be why are you worried about being an alcoholic and taking the test unless your a bit concerned.

Many of us chafe at the reality of our drinking. I know i didn't want to admit my addiction and dependance. After all i wasn't living in a cardboard box (yet). I didn't quit until i was 58 years old , had destroyed my body, nearly killed myself several times and virtually wrecked my life. You don't have to go there. it is certainly your decision. We can help at the chatroom and other AA meetings but you have to see your problem and accept that help.

Please join us at the chat meeting. It is at 9 eastern in the substance abuse room at chat. There is a post in this forum which contains a working link to go there.

Hugs,

Charlize

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ericajordan

Hi, Charlize! thank you for your kind reply!

I had a bit of computer probs to respond, but I think I am back!! haha.

9 eastern is 6 pm in the afternoon? That is each day? That isn't the very best time for me, but I will be delighted to join in, when I can.

I do take all the tests I can. I scored a near perfect score on the sex addicts test, which I am very proud of!! Little things dear is all it takes to amuse me!! hehe.

It happens my family has quite a love-hate relationship with alcohol. My siblings are 1/4 Indian (or is it 1/8??) which presents particular problems for them. My mother is the adult child of an alcoholic so she has her own demons to deal with.

Abraham Lincoln even wrote about alcoholism and the nature of those involved. Which I find fascinating reading, btw.

Jesus of course had his thoughts.

For me, I drink a couple drinks, sometimes more. I get a buzz. I enjoy it. I occasionally add other drugs to experience the affects of the combinations.

If someone or rather, labels me as an addict or alcoholic, I don't get offended. Labeling seems rather meaningless, unless the person seeks help, in this case, "me". LOL. Whatever my clinical status might include, sex addict, drug addict, alcoholic? I do seek insight and welcome light into my life. I am not seeking to end my relationships with sex, drugs or alcohol.

That could be a short coming on my part!! haha. I do admit that!!

At this time, my "higher power" seems like (seems to me!!- you know? inside here) to have different priorities. It seems to me the priorities are love for others. To help others. To listen. To give myself.

So far, giving up retaliation. Bitterness. Hate.???? you know!!! hehehe. Killing people in their sleep???

Has been more of a focus than nutritional issues.

For me.

You are saying, you were running amuck!!

I respect that!!

And you decided you needed the help to change.

And that your change required HP to eliminate drugs and alcohol from your life .... as they threatened your existence.

Am I in the same ballpark on this?

If not, please educate me!!

Love, erica

• Admin

Erica -- For many of us, drugs and alcohol become the controlling power in our lives, they controled every aspect of our lives. The substances we used were god-like in our existence and were bringing us closer and closer to insanity or DEATH. By ourselves, we could not control them in the end. The fact we needed help from some source, greater than our addictions at last became clear, usually when we were in pain and darkness "unto death".

What that source of help was in shape and form was not important, but the fact that it was greater than our pull toward addiction, and greater than we ourselves were is the key to sobriety. A Higher Power can take many forms, and at some point, a single person or better, a group of our peers in recovery filled that purpose. In time for most of us it became more commonly recognized spiritual entities, but that is not a rule that makes us fail or succeed.

I know this is not exactly what Charlize would be writing on this, but I too am one for whom this was important and I hope this gives you some insight into what Charlize was describing.

• Forum Moderator

Erica,

Thanks for getting back to us. The meetings are on Sunday evening only. Sorry for that omission.

If you are only drinking a moderate amount good for you. I was able to do that for some time as well, but i always wanted more. I was never content with 1 beer or cocktail. More was my favorite intoxicant. My true addiction came with time. Alcoholism is a progressive and fatal disease. I have heard alcoholism referred to as an elevator that is going down. You can get off at any floor. There is no reason to go to the basement but it is easier to step off earlier than later.

As Vicky said we get to a point where we must find a power greater than ourselves. She describes that quite well.

If you think you may have a problem join us or go to a real time meeting. Many come and decide they want to drink some more but at least they have caught a glimpse of a way out if they need it.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest ericajordan

Hey, Charlize!! well, I am most grateful of only missing you on Sundays now!! I will try my hardest to remember that and join you, Sunday at 6 PST, to thank you for your kind invitation. A downward elevator!! Very colorful imagery, miss. I do appreciate your concern for me. Alot.

Here is how I feel: I really do like getting buzzed on alcohol. An awfully lot. I enjoy it very much. But: However: hehehe. It is very hard for me to stay buzzed or drunk. It just doesn't work out for me. Sooner or later, I find myself sober. So much as I would like to stay drunk, I simply don't. Same with another unnamed substance I have a relationship with. Enjoyable sure: but, very time? at the end? sober. So, I find myself just not willing to make the effort to obtain more. I do keep Tequila in the house and add it to my coffee.

I have been to RL meetings of AA. Very nice affairs. I especially enjoyed a candlelight meeting held on Sat night at 11 pm, (11st step?) Very nice and I was very amazed a person enjoyed one of my comments. 27 years later, I still smile when I remember the kind words

Vicky!! Hi, to you!! It appears your wonderful input is very well received!! Thank you for writing. Yes, you described quite well! Couldn't have put it better! Good for you.

I don't have the insights to understand the potential differences of opinion about Higher Power (HP).

It does seem obvious Bill W., as he assisted persons in the initial steps, didn't make an issue of "who HP was"! That is obvious from the wording: A power greater than myself. No identifying marks.

This is healthy and practical approach to someone, like you write, facing insanity and death from substance addiction.

A few weeks ago, I took my friend to a local AA meeting. I had a very good time. The speakers all were in agreement, at their meeting, at their place, that HP is named "Jesus Christ".

Now, my Spanish not being as good as it could be, among these wonderful and decent people, took a definite nose dive as I saluted people at the end. All these nice Jesus people being greeted by me, as a guest. My tongue reached for "compadre" as I embraced their leader, yet found "Cabron"!! Which in local culture, is to say "Hey, <Explitive>!!" haha. They didn't even invite my friend back!!

Edited by ericajordan
Removed Explitive term. As per T&C. Joann60
  • Forum Moderator

Erica, perhaps a more fitting meeting for you is here on Sunday nights. (a little earlier than you wrote) We type in english and while religion may come up, as it did last night, it is in a discussion of spirituality. Meetings of AA are different and some stray away from some of the traditions of AA. Sorry if you ran into one that was less than accepting. Hopefully if you do discover that alcohol is in control of your life, that you are powerless, you will be able to reach out to the hands that are extended to you. I certainly would not be sober if i hadn't taken those hands.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest ericajordan

Hi, Charlize,

Thank you for kind words and gracious invitation. I do want to visit a Sunday soon with you.

The nice AA people were great and accepting. haha. I basically, in my pigeon Spanish called them (bad word here). It is my fault. They are cool. It is very interesting to me they use the name "Jesus Christ" for the HP. Never seen that before.

There is an interview recently with Stephen King. Did you see it? When I read it, I thought of you: here is a part:

Still, the interview is of interest because it emphasizes yet again what a fib it is to say that ID draws support exclusively from folks motivated by their right-wing Christian religious faith. King is not only a man of the Left, but a critic of "organized religion" and a self-described "agnostic" on the afterlife, as he also made clear to Mr. Zepps. He thinks the most popular religious faiths on offer "cancel each other out" with their competing views on God, so while belief in a higher power is "enriching" no religion deservers "particular credence."

Belief in a "HP" is enriching!! Hehehe! As you found with the laying on of helping hands.

This Sunday likely is a travel day for me, so I might miss you again, but for sure, I hope you will see me soon.

Yours, ej

Edited by ericajordan
Starred word deleted per Rule 20 of the T & C
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting question. If your motive for finding out is to help them, it's unlikely you knowing will help them with their problem. Most alcoholics resent the interference until it will cost them a marraige, career , etc. Even that isn't enough at times. If your motive is to avoid dating one, that's a different issue... Suggest going to a restaurant or resort that doesn't serve alcohol and see what happens :-)

Alanon is a good place to go for loved ones bothered by somebody's drinking. Great group of people. Try 5 meetings before judging it, ok?

If your question is just for the curious... I don't know...

Michelle

• Admin

I am a little snotty on one issue, I will not call someone an Alcoholic unless they themselves admit it and tell you they have a desire to stop drinking and ABUSING ALCOHOL. You can use the assessment above and look at it in light of your friendship or acquaintanceship and see how they stack up against it, but by all means, keep it to yourself. I resisted the "well meaning" comments that I was "An Alcoholic" or the "veiled hints" that I was drinking too much from relatives, and flat out told other people to get out of my space with violent and obscene gestures. I was a serious ALCOHOL ABUSER and addict for many years, and even when caught denied it.

Today I proudly admit that I am an ALCOHOLIC and in front of me is a coin that has the AA logo and the number 6 in Roman numerals on it. I had to do it though, and not anyone - even my brothers and sisters in AA -- could do it for me.

If you suspect someone is abusing alcohol, no matter how winsome they may be to you, keep a distance until they choose either to accept Recovery, or ???? !

• Forum Moderator

Alcoholism is one of the only diseases that we can only diagnose ourselves and find a cure. Others may see the depth of our addiction but often we cannot or will not admit to having a problem. As said so well above i fought against anyone who tried to help me. Only after some time in recovery did i realize i was an alcoholic and then it took even more time to become a grateful alcoholic. The things i have learned in recovery have changed my life. I certainly wouldn't be here trying to help you with your problem. As an addict i had only me in mind. Now there are times i see others in this beautiful world.

Best of luck with your friend. You may suggest but don't expect a miracle. Those happen though, or i would have been dead 7+ years ago.

Hugs,

Charlize