• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Finding An Endocrinologist

Many have asked where to find an Endocrinologist. This link allows you to search for one by Zipcode http://www.hormone.org/ . A simple anonymous phone call can tell you if they are Transgender friendly or not. Recent AMA documents have made it illegal to discriminate against Transgender people in medical Care. Most endos will require a letter from a therapist for cross hormone therapy.

Laura

• 2 months later...
Guest Elizabeth K

Just an observation - it may be difficult to find a sympathetic AND knowlegable Endocrinologist. My wife and I have both been treated by an Endocrinologist for several years (she-thyroid, me-diabetes II) We decided that I would 'come-out' to him to ask for advice on a therapist - and he wasn't sure what to do. He suggested a psychiatrist - when I researched, this psychiatrist specialized in geriatrics.

I am certain he would work with me if I begin hormone treatment, but the point is he had no idea of how to help me GET help.

I believe that this shows it is better to locate and meet with a competent therapist first, one with gender identity disfunction experience, THEN look for an Endocrinologist. In any case, your therapist will have suggestions on an Endocrinologist.

I will probably stay with my current Endocrinolgist as it is important to consider all aspects when mixing diabetes treatments with gender reassignment medication. Most people won't have that complication - so go for it.

This is directed more toward transsexuals or those who want to find out if they are.

• 1 month later...
Guest YaManShane

I don't think is has to be an Endocrinologist to put you on hormones. I think it just gotta be a medical doctor who knows about trans issues. The guy who put me on hormones is just a regular doctor. he deals with adolescents and transgendered patients. is there any advantage to going with an endo though? or is he more likely to put you on hormones than a regular doctor.

• 1 month later...

I started going to an Electrolysis/Laser clinic and she told me about a regular MD in the same area that dealt with transgender patients for HRT treatments. I think that if the doctor is familiar with the effects of Hormone therapy on the male body then it would be alright to go to them rather than an endocrinologist; if not then it would be safer to seek out an endocrinologist who has dealt with transgender patients.

I don't think is has to be an Endocrinologist to put you on hormones. I think it just gotta be a medical doctor who knows about trans issues. The guy who put me on hormones is just a regular doctor. he deals with adolescents and transgendered patients. is there any advantage to going with an endo though? or is he more likely to put you on hormones than a regular doctor.
I started going to an Electrolysis/Laser clinic and she told me about a regular MD in the same area that dealt with transgender patients for HRT treatments. I think that if the doctor is familiar with the effects of Hormone therapy on the male body then it would be alright to go to them rather than an endocrinologist; if not then it would be safer to seek out an endocrinologist who has dealt with transgender patients.

The key issue is a familiarity with transgendered patients. A good doctor who has treated patients with Contra Hormone Therapy can regulate the hormones and analyze the blood work just fine - I just don't want to be the first for any kind of doctor. They should require a letter from a therapist if they don't it is the robot waving his arms and shouting, "Warning, warning, danger, Will Robinson!"

Love ya,

Sally

• 1 month later...
Guest rayne1

My doctor's office has tried all over the surrounding towns within 70 mile radius and no Endocrinologist feels capable of treating me for HRT and has denied the doctor's referral request. Has anyone living in the Springfield, Gainsville, West Plains, Missouri area had any luck in obtaining a doctor or Endocrinologist who can treat me for HRT? I already have the therapy letter.

Guest Donna Jean
My doctor's office has tried all over the surrounding towns within 70 mile radius and no Endocrinologist feels capable of treating me for HRT and has denied the doctor's referral request. Has anyone living in the Springfield, Gainsville, West Plains, Missouri area had any luck in obtaining a doctor or Endocrinologist who can treat me for HRT? I already have the therapy letter.

Hey, Hon....

I live in the sticks of Ohio and maybe you can try what worked for me...I have a GP doctor that prescribes for me and monitors...I couldn't find an Endo so I Googled LGBT sites in Ohio and e-mailed them and got an answer of the Dr. that I go to now..Its 100 miles one way, but it was my best bet...My regular doc wouldn't do it because of the group he is in and liability...yadda...yadda...yadda...

I also Googled "Trans " sites in Ohio and got some answers back...worth a try!

Worked for me, Hon...and I was getting desparate!

Endos are few and far between...mostly in the bigger cities!

Give me a holler, Sweetie...let me know.....OK?

****HUGGS****

Donna Jean

Guest Little Sara
The key issue is a familiarity with transgendered patients. A good doctor who has treated patients with Contra Hormone Therapy can regulate the hormones and analyze the blood work just fine - I just don't want to be the first for any kind of doctor.

I agree the doctor should be familiar with trans patients. I don't agree that they know their stuff necessarily however, even if they've had experience. Much like a doctor who always prescribed anti-depressants might know nothing about anti-depressants. The first doctor I went to went by protocol tables from studies done in NYC in the 1960s, which have high doses of some types of estradiol, and very low doses of some others. And he won't negotiate, he goes by-the-book with his protocols, wether they're flawed or not he doesn't care.

They should require a letter from a therapist if they don't it is the robot waving his arms and shouting, "Warning, warning, danger, Will Robinson!"

In my opinion they should not require a diagnosis. The doctor I mentioned who is rigid about his dosages? Dozens of people go see him every week, and at least a few dozen of trans people go there every 3 months to see him (and get refills). He doesn't require a diagnosis...and that's the main reason trans people go see him. Getting a diagnosis is VERY hard here, and most people in their 15-25s don't have a fortune to spend on weekly sessions to see a therapist do umms and aahhs and wonder about the meaning of life, for 150$ an hour.

Guest rayne1

Donna Jean:

Thank you for your suggestions.

I too live in a rural community away from everything. I did try to contact some of what are supposed to be support forums in Springfield that I found on the internet, but no reply from any of them so far. I did find one Endocrinologist 234 miles one way in St. Louis, but that is ridiculous to drive that far each time. I did see one forum comment about a GP that they had gone to in Springfield, which is 65 miles one way for me, but how much they are familiar with transsexual patients. I will try and call her tomorrow to see if she will be able to see me and prescribe the hormones and doing the necessary blood tests to monitor them. If that does not work out I am stumped as to where to go. My family physician does not know anything about it and so I cannot get anything from her.

Hey, Hon....

I live in the sticks of Ohio and maybe you can try what worked for me...I have a GP doctor that prescribes for me and monitors...I couldn't find an Endo so I Googled LGBT sites in Ohio and e-mailed them and got an answer of the Dr. that I go to now..Its 100 miles one way, but it was my best bet...My regular doc wouldn't do it because of the group he is in and liability...yadda...yadda...yadda...

I also Googled "Trans " sites in Ohio and got some answers back...worth a try!

Worked for me, Hon...and I was getting desparate!

Endos are few and far between...mostly in the bigger cities!

Give me a holler, Sweetie...let me know.....OK?

****HUGGS****

Donna Jean

Guest Donna Jean

Rayne...I became fairly freaked out when I realized that I had hit a dead end...and I was looking in surrounding states..I mean REALLY far...Pittsburgh, Pa.....Wheeling W.Va......Indianapolis, Ind..Northern Kentucky..I wasn't going to be stopped, but I lucked out...

I think that it is just a matter of lots of networking and keeping track of what you're doing..Once I got my Doc...I just completely went limp!....lol

Let me know how it's going.....OK?

HUGGS

Donna Jean

Guest rayne1

Yes, I know what you mean. You get to this point and there is another stumbling block

I ran across one person who had gone to a GP , but when I tried to get in touch with the doctor, I was told they don't do feminizing HRT. I google one site Nationwide Synergy which is a e-mail doctor doing HRT. I heard back from him and he wants medical history faxed to him by my local GP. I just e-mailed him back to be sure that he was aware of my circumstances and the type of HRT I wanted him to do. I can get the necessary blood tests from my local clinic. We will see what kind of response I get from him later.

Rayne...I became fairly freaked out when I realized that I had hit a dead end...and I was looking in surrounding states..I mean REALLY far...Pittsburgh, Pa.....Wheeling W.Va......Indianapolis, Ind..Northern Kentucky..I wasn't going to be stopped, but I lucked out...

I think that it is just a matter of lots of networking and keeping track of what you're doing..Once I got my Doc...I just completely went limp!....lol

Let me know how it's going.....OK?

HUGGS

Donna Jean

Guest Donna Jean

Rayne......

OMG...I know where you are at, Hon...I really do.....

Let me know what he says....OK?

Wishing you VERY MUCH LUCK!!!!!

Huggs

Donna Jean

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest jennifer normal

After reading how many of us are working the maze I realize how fortunate I am. I feel so bad for all of those still in the search. I would definitely give endorsements but can't say how ethical that would be. I want to say,and they very well may visit here how much I appreciate their care. I'll have to check but I hope I can share it with you. With loving thoughts,Jennifer

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
Guest kimberly5669

Donna i saw where you live in ohio and i am a mtf wishing to start on hrt and i was wondering who you went and saw to get started i also live in ohio

Rayne:

I work for Family & Community Medicine at the University of Missouri Hospitals & Clinics here in Columbia, Mo. We have 3 Family Practice Doctors who prescribe HRT for transgendered males and females. Dr Amanda Swenson and Dr Anne Fitzsimmons both practice on the Green Team at Green Meadows Clinic 3217 S Providence Road. To call for an appointment: 573-884-7733. Dr Swenson has agreed to treat me with HRT. Dr Fitzsimmons is out on medical leave following surgery. Dr Carrie Reust who practices at our Keene Family Medicine Clinic, 305 N Keene St, Suite 203, Columbia, Mo. To call for an appointment call 573-882-8000. I know all three doctors both professionally and personally and all three have extensive experience treating Transgendered patients and are both great Doctors and kind, understanding people. Dr Swenson moved to Columbia from Madison Wis where she treated many Trans people at University Hospital and Clinics in Madison Wisconsin for seven years prior to moving to Columbia two years ago. I know she is accepting new patients. PM me if you need any additional information, Hugs Kathryn Julia

Guest ValerieD

My therapist recommended that I start searching for an endocrinologist that knows about trans issues so she has someone to write the letter to when she does that. Any idea of how to find one? I'm in the Potsdam, NY area most of the time so there isn't much around (I can't even find anything with the site on the first post because I can't expand the radius beyond 10 miles and there's nothing found for either Potsdam or Massena).

I technically live in Rochester which would have a better chance of finding someone, but I'm home so rarely that it would be a good idea to get someone in the north country if I can. Theoretically I could attempt a day trip to Syracuse but it wouldn't be fun (would have the advantage that it would matter less if I was in Rochester or Potsdam).

• 2 months later...

Does Green Meadows Clinic in Columbia require a letter from your therapist?

They do before they will start HRT. Having a good therapist in your corner will help make transitioning easier and help you understand your gender issues better. HRT therapy also requires medical monitoring and lab tests to ensure that you are not damaging your liver. They also monitor lipid levels as well as a complete blood chemistry panel to watch for over production of certain blood cells or abnormal clotting which could lead to a clot which could lead to a stroke or heart attack. On a personal note, my GP knows my medical background and I have built up a level of trust with him. I consult with Dr Swenson about HRT dosages and forward her recommendations on to my GP doctor. Dr L my GP monitors my lab levels and I share them with Dr Swenson on a regular basis. I also have juvenile diabetes, wear an insulin pump and this adds a complication to my medical care. I take my medical care very seriously. Work closely with physicians that I trust and I tend to take a conservative approach to HRT Therapy. Hormones are very powerful drugs that can hurt you, so no buying them from overseas sources. Yes, the Standards of Care can be a pain sometimes, but they are in place to keep you safe. I pm'd you with my therapists information. She is extremely good and very easy to work with. Therapists can generally help you understand you better and whether it takes a month or three months before they make the decision to recommend HRT Therapy, that time is well spent in preparing you for a life long decision that is going to radically change relationships you may have. It may affect jobs, marriages go sour, and a host of other issues that you have to face along the journey to a final destination of living as your true self. We tend to focus on the prize and forget about the issues that occur along the way to the prize. I waited decades to arive where I am at today. Hard, you bet. Do it alone, no way. This journey requires bringing supporters along the journey. It's hard. It's a decision that nobody would make if they didn't need to. But there comes a point in your life that you can't live the lie any more. You want to come out of the shadows. If you are at that point in your life, all of us on Laura's stand ready to support and help you. Just ask. KathrynJulia

• 9 months later...
Guest sophia.gentry58

I wished I'd come across this post before spending all afternoon today looking for an Endocrinologist, to no avail. :( Tomorrow I will look for an MD who is experienced in Transgen issues and is sympathetic to my needs and concerns.

Sophia

• Admin

Sophia, I just posted this link in your HRT Regimen Post, but here it is again, these folks are in Tulsa http://www.lgbtcenters.org/Centers/Oklahoma/90/Oklahomans-for-Equality.aspx They may know where a local person is that can help you. Your actual in office visits with and Endo will probably be one or two per year, and they may be able to work with your GP to supervise you on a more frequent basis.

Guest sophia.gentry58

Thanks so much Vicky! Please forgive me for having you to repeat yourself. There is such a wealth of information here I feel like being in a maze. I'll have to do a better job a tracing my steps so as not to get lost. :)

Sophia

Sophia, I just posted this link in your HRT Regimen Post, but here it is again, these folks are in Tulsa http://www.lgbtcenters.org/Centers/Oklahoma/90/Oklahomans-for-Equality.aspx They may know where a local person is that can help you. Your actual in office visits with and Endo will probably be one or two per year, and they may be able to work with your GP to supervise you on a more frequent basis.

• Dev unpinned this topic