• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Finally Got The Reality Check On Electrolysis

Guest Jaded1

Guest Jaded1

So I went to a local eloctrolysis place for a consultation today and despite the fact that I already knew it would take a while and would cost a small fortune, I still felt like a kick in the gur when I did the math.

Basically for a 2 hour session is would be $130.00 and according to the eloctrolygist it would take 2 hours each week for at least a year to show significant results. To remove it all would be more towards 1 and a half to 2 years.

Any way I add it up that is almost 6800 per year.

Ouch.

This is definately going to hurt the pocketbook but I have to get it started.

Sigh.

Electrolysis can cost as much as srs/gcs/grs depending on how hairy you are, i had 12 laser sessions to get rid of the dark hairs then electrolysis for the white/gray hairs and any dark ones that came back over the last past 2-1/2 years, total cost so far has been around 13k, i paid 20k for my gcs, i expect electrolysis in the end will come close to what i paid for my gcs as i still have more on my neck to get finished up but i can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it is not another train, i do 1 hour sessions and pay $80.00 an hour, $65.00 an hour you will be charged is a decent price to pay for electrolysis.

Paula

I feel fortunate that electrolysis only costs me $45/hr, that includes a $5 discount for trans women. It is still going to cost me a fortune.

I cleared my upper lip in the last two weeks, and already spent another hour yesterday clearing it again from the regrowth. However I did notice the hair is growing much slower and not as dense. Still my electrologist told me I'd be very lucky to totally clear it in 10 weeks.

Once an area is cleared, it won't take as long to clear the next time, providing you keep working on the same area regularly. This means you can spread out to new areas in the same time frame.

Jenny

Guest Julie T

Jaded

I suppose I am lucky as I don't have any beard, hardly, and really never did. I had my mustache area cleared and my eyebrows shaped. It cost me $55 per hour, and I learned the better value is to go two hours. I had 4 single hours and 6 double hours sessions I would like to go back for at least that amount of work again, and the good news? although it isn't supposed to do it, HRT is obviously reducing the hair on my face slightly.

And my body hair is completely gone.

Julie

Guest Donna Jean

Yepper! It's not cheap......

I've had 65 hours so far to the tune of $3,000 with at least another 100 hours to go.....

I coulda bought an airplane...

Huggs & Luck

Dee Jay

Guest Michele H

I thought I was one of the fortunate ones as I had very little facial hair - tried lazer for six months - my hair laughed at it! I don't even want to think about how many hours I have logged - started with 4 hours sessions each week - 2.5 years later I'm down to once a month but still not done. Age i suppose has made what hair I had imperious to treatment.

Guest Jaded1

Well I am looking to start HRT in the next month or two with the only thing holding me back are

1, Reco from therapist which I should be getting the next session on the 9th.

2, Finding time and funds to freeze some little ones as that was the only request from the s/o if I were to transition.

So I am biting the bullet and starting electro next week. I can't believe I am going to spend this much on something like this but in the grand scheme of things, I knew it is going to cost me a pretty penny to change my ticket to womanville.

Thanks for the input ladies. Please keep it coming.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Krisina

Paula ult had mentioned "electrolysis for the white/gray hairs and any dark ones that came back over the last past 2-1/2 years" I was curious about the dark hairs coming back after laser. I understand that laser doesn't get everything and that is why it is called permanent hair reduction and not permanent hair removal. Have you seen many dark hairs 2 1/2 years after laser?

I am doing laser treatments now, and so far so good, very happy.

Krisina

• 1 month later...
Guest Angelgrlsue

OUCH!! I had no idea it would cost that much for electrolysis. I have not had it done yet due to not being able to afford it. What can one do when she cannot afford such an expense? I shave but believe me the shadow comes back real quick by the evening, even though I have gray hair now, it can still be seen.

Susan

I'm another lucky one like Julie and finished with around 20 hours. But I went to a new one Tuesday to get my brows shaped as well as pick up a few stragglers.

It was about half as painful and didn't leave my skin raw afterwards. The money is still painful, but my face is sure happy!

If my PC every gets to working again, I'll let you know what technique was used.

Love, Megan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just saw this old thread got kicked up.

Since posting it, I have had 2 laser sessions and even after the first I saw MASSIVE improvements. After I shaving I have ZERO shadow (unlike before where it took quite a bit of concealer to even be able to remotely hide it,) and there are entire sections of my face that are blank. Other than maybe 20-30% of my face, hair has all but ceased to grow.

We will see how long it lasts but honestly, I think anyone that is even remotely a good candidate for laser should give it a shot as deals can be found on groupon and other sites and if it does work, even marginally, the cost of one to two laser sessions will be FAAAAAAAR cheaper than the similar result via electrolysis.

I am sure that there will be some hairs that I will only be able to get rid of via electro but I spent a total of 398.00 bucks on 6 (count it SIX) laser sessions of which I have only used two.

If I only have 10-20 hours total left afterwards for electro (and that is a HIGH estimate) the savings are quite substantial.

• 3 months later...
  • Forum Moderator

I know the person that posted this moved on, but thought I would add my comments.

I don't feel so bad after reading this thread, cause I am in the midst of my facial hair removal project this year and most likely into next. YES, It's a rather pricey and a lengthy undertaking. A neccessary step in the journey for me. Being on HRT does seem to help slow overall growth and the return of new hair. I have to say I just love seeing the progress, just to touch the smooth areas on my face and chin now is soooo nice, so worth it. Each shave gets easier and easier, small but steady gains each week.

I've got my Emla cream, and get hugs each visit from the nice lady I go to, she is so kind and gentle with me, we get to know each other pretty good over the months.

Cindy -

Guest Donna Jean

C Rae........

AWESOME!

No, it isn't easy....but, like anything else in this whole process, it's doable!

'Baby steps...baby steps.....

Dee Jay

• Forum Moderator

C Rae........

AWESOME!

No, it isn't easy....but, like anything else in this whole process, it's doable!

'Baby steps...baby steps.....

Dee Jay

Thanks Dee Jay, reading your words of encouragement really made me smile this morning. I can truely appreciate Paula's words above in this thread on how this "baby step" is almost as costly as SRS. This is a long road and not an easy path taken, every week and month that goes by, oh my the changes they really start adding up and it's like somedays I like happen to catch my reflection in a window or something walking by and it hits ya, wowzers my true self is looking back at me, the outside is starting to match up with the inside, very gratifying.

C Rae -