• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Anyone Recognized (Mistaken) As Your True Gender While Still Presenting As Your Birth Sex?

Guest Shy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JJ

Guest xjpopfanx

I always have this happening. ^^;; Well actually, I never dress up like a girl or anything so technically I'm always presenting as my birth sex but it seems I was gifted/cursed with the looks of a girl despite being born a guy. >_<

Who you calling tiny? I'm 175cm tall! That's about 5ft8 or 5ft10 I think... with a10D/32D! (Calculated for Americans)

okay then, stick! XD Being an american size 4/6 and that tall, I think you may be as thick as my wrist! XD

Who you calling tiny? I'm 175cm tall! That's about 5ft8 or 5ft10 I think... with a10D/32D! (Calculated for Americans)

okay then, stick! XD Being an american size 4/6 and that tall, I think you may be as thick as my wrist! XD

Really!? When it comes to people in Australia I'm a bit on the larger side! Not too much taller either...

As far as height goes, no biggie. I am very conscious of tall women because I'm a little on the tall side for a girl but I have seen some TALL women lately! I think American and Scandinavian women tend to be a little taller than most. have you seen the model who is like 6'8"? (worlds tallest female model). She will make your day.

Really? I'm running the gambit as nearly the tallest when it comes to being female at 5'7.5 (me and my friend had to have a height off... since she used to be taller... and now she's shorter at 5'7 precisely) Most of the girls I am friends with in person are 5'5'' and down. Though I'm also near the heaviest..

Guest ashley4623

Once at work I was at the return counter, and an older lady I was helping kept referring to me as "miss". Then another time something like that happened with an older man. He's referred to me as "she" and I turned and looked around to find nobody but me. That definitely made me XD, especially because he kept using feminine pronouns. I assume that in both of these situations there was some dementia or vision impairment--although none of them had glasses so idk... But hey I'm not complaining :)

Rowan, you're 5'10 :3

Pfft, you prob have such a dude 'tude that no one dare doubts ya. ^.^

Ashley, you are cutie. Nuff said. No dementia needed to see you as such.

Guest MelissaF

I used to a lot. Now I mostly present as me, female.

I used to enjoy it when people would "mistakenly" address me as "miss". It kinda stung when they tried to correct themselves, but I suppose they didn't know better.

I used to enjoy it when people would "mistakenly" address me as "miss". It kinda stung when they tried to correct themselves, but I suppose they didn't know better.

Yeah, really. It's like "no, no you're fine, really." But then, outting and all... :/

Yeah, really. It's like "no, no you're fine, really." But then, outting and all... :/

yeeeeah, one of my best friends will refer to me with male pronouns from time to time I wish she would more often... but I understand why, she believes that my gender issues are in large part due to my utter fail marriage and prior relationships.. kinda feels invalidating but she's known me for half our lives and I know she doesn't mean harm. Anyway I digress, there are times when she'll do so in front of her son(who's 6) the last time she called me a "silly boy" he asked why she called me a boy and my friend stumbled awkwardly and looked to me for a bit of help to which I answered him "because I don't mind."

Still hurts that she tries to censor things of this nature as well as homosexuality from him even though she says she's supportive of gay and trans rights....

And I'm going to shush again as I'm wandering off topic.

Meh, not off topic at all, I think it has everything to do with the subject.

It's one thing to have strangers "correct" themselves, but to have someone who knows how you feel get akward about it is something different.

I do know how akward it is for your friend, not knowing exactly what to do in the face of your children. I tell my kids that people can wear what they want and like what colors they like, and that's in response to colorful fuzzy socks on my feet. I'm still not certain about how I should approach these things with them. They've begun to see how society draws lines based on gender, and it seems natural, and what I do starts to seem a little strange. It's a hard thing for me to deal with, and I'm the one who's genderqueer, not a friend of mine. So having your friend struggle with this and not be genderqueer too, that complicates matters so much more. By this time, her kid has most likely seen the same things in people that my 6 year old daughter has. I can't help what my kids are influenced by outside of my veiw, and I can't help the differences my wife and I have about how to raise kids gender wise. Certain things are just there, because society is still heavily reliant on a binary system. It's tough for progressive parents to fight against these influences without completely screwing up a child's perception.

I know it hurts, and I feel for you. Believe me, this kind of thing hurts me too. I wish I had an answer, a way that worked for me that you might share with your friend. But I don't know a way that works, not with kids or against the societal influence. . .

I feel your friend does truly care about you though, and that is a great thing. With that door open, I think you'll have a better chance of figuring out how to deal with this issue than I could on my own. Communication is paramount to this though, if she doesn't know this is an issue, nothing will be done.

I mistakenly got called Sir 5 times yesterday, and was addressed as Rowan! Hehe, switched my name tag. :D

Until a male friend corrected them, needless to say he found out just how scary I can be! XD

Guest MelissaF

When my roommates and I were looking for a house and we toured one place, we did so at the same time as a group of guys. The landlady kept referring to them as the boys and my best friend and I as the girls.

I'm a bit amused because at the time our other two roommates were both guys. My bff and I were the only two girls in our group.

XD

okay, so I /was/ in my binder.... but I was at my friends birthday party and one of his friends had to secretly ask them if I was a boy or girl. OF course, my friend had to spoil the moment a little by saying "girl" and having me show my binder... (I only knew why I was suddenly asked to lift my shirt after the fact.)

I just want to be, as I am, and not make a big thing of it. But when the way I am is so against what it seems I should be to everyone else, it's hard to maintain a quiet persistance. I am forced to explain myself, to correct misconceptions and to become a preacher of sorts. I'd rather live quietly with the hope that people dear to me will accept that I am the way I am and I don't need a reason to be, and people who can't grasp it would just get over it on their own. No, people have to read into everything and apply labels and standards when none are needed.

Very true Micha, I'm a low key person in some aspects I don't like standing on the soap box on issues and such. I'll be outgoing but on my own time because I find it to much effort to have a constant struggle against people who I don't even know. My friend accepts me, when I'm feeling the most down she's always there to at least try and perk me up even if it's simply asking "what's wrong with my husband today?" but, why do I need to be 'outed' and 'explained' to her friends and family?

Guest Juniper Blue

Yes ... Hi all ... I am just testing to see if I can successfully post. Please forgive me. To respond the question:

Yes, I get called "sir" almost daily. I was born female. When I get the hang of this, I would love to post more. So nice to be here with you all! :o)

Guest runner2guy

Yes. It's always happening. I work in a pub, and the first time I was mistaken for a girl is a vivid memory. Since then it has become a lot commoner, because I've become a lot less less shy about it. My usual wear in the pub is a skirt rather than pants, so the mistake is easier for people to make, but it's much the same even when I'm in ordinary pants or jeans, Same when I'm in running singlet and shorts, when my essential shape is obvious. I dont go out my way to look girlish, but nowadays I dont try to hide it either.

Guest Juniper Blue

I get pretty stressed when I have to go into the women's locker room. Once, I actually had security called on me. When I was younger, I worked at an all women's gym and at times there would be security alerts that a man was in the gym. ( the manager would have to explain that I was no ta man ... that was awkward.) I am often called "Sir" ... It actually feels very odd when I am not called "Sir" and when I get a "Ma'am" it really BUGS me! I have been identified by strangers as male routinely since puberty at age 10. Before that I was boyish but seldom identified as male... perhaps because I had long hair, feminine clothing and had not become muscular yet.

I would like to see the use of gender neutral language in our society. Why is a simple "Hello" or "Thank you" not enough?? Why do so many people need to follow every formal interaction with "Sir" or "Ma'am?" It feels outdated and a bit like people are acting like servants ... I do not want servants!! I understand that it is a part of our socialization and professional conduct but still ... I hope that one day these gender descriptors paired with formalities can be dropped entirely.

This is an interesting topic!