• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Learning to use make-up (and something else that's too small for it's own post)

Guest sleeping chrysalid

Guest sleeping chrysalid

So the big news is that my mother showed me how to apply foundation and mascara. I'm going to practice with both but I'm really excited about the foundation because it would be the easiest thing to make subtle when I want to wear it in public. I don't think it will be that noticable and I might just go to school with it on.

My mother said I'm probably going to poke myself in the eye with the mascara a couple of times. This is going to be fun.

Now for the unrelated note.

My uncle Peter is a bit uncomfortable and embarassed on the phone because it takes him some effort to distinguish my voice from my mom's.

It's so obvious. He slowly says hello in a way that makes it seem like he's just waiting for me to give myself away. I wonder how he's going to react in the future.

Guest Emily Ray

It won't be long before your mom is complaining about your make-up girl ;) I remember well my argument with my mom about the length of my skirts. Sge still thinks there too short, but I have great legs!

Huggs

Emily

Guest ignota

Awesome about the makeup :)

It could be that your uncle is uncomfortable that you both sound the same... possible... but it's also possible that he doesn't want to offend you or your mum by thinking he's talking to the wrong person. No way of knowing either way, but it's perhaps not as bad as it seems...?

Rhi

Couple of hints.

The first and most important. Never use waterproof makeup. Especially when first starting.

Eyeliner goes on very smooth if you heat it. Just barely touch the sharp tip to the flame. Let it cool for a few seconds, then apply. A nice dark line will appear without to much penciling.

Get a lighted magnifying mirror. Seeing what your doing is very helpful.

Be patient. A rush job always looks rushed.

Watch some videos. Revlon has a bunch on their site and of course YouTube.

Quips are your friend. A drop of water on a qtip, roll, then apply a drop of good moisturize, roll. Presto, a makeup remover. Helps at the end of the day and if you make a mistake.

Mistakes are always worked back toward the eye, never away.

The biggest and most under used advise. LESS IS MORE.

Autumn

Guest Donna Jean

Eyeliner goes on very smooth if you heat it. Just barely touch the sharp tip to the flame. Let it cool for a few seconds, then apply. A nice dark line will appear without to much penciling.

Autumn

that's a cool thing t know.....

I'll try it soon!

Thanks

Dee Jay

Autumn

I'll try it soon!

Thanks

Dee Jay

Funniest part of that advice. My sister, the one that won't accept me, showed me that tip when I was really young. She doesn't remember, but I do. I practiced and practiced. I was like 10 or 11. Made a heck of a mess. They used to laugh. Let them laugh, I'm wearing makeup and they are only laughing because I did a bad job... Haha, jokes on you. :)

Just wave the tip over a lighter. It'll soften quick. Let it cool and the line goes on dark.

Autumn

Guest IsabelleStPierre

Greetings,

Makeup can be a bit overwhelming at first, but it just takes practice. Before you know it your mom will be complaining about your makeup, that you're wearing too much, and the like. It's sort of a rite of passage. What parents really hate...when you start "borrowing" their makeup!

Practice, have fun with it, and in no time you'll be an expert at it. If you feel overwhelmed, there are also books on the topic too :)

Peace, love, and contentment,

Isabelle

Guest Evan/Evalyn

hiyas

OMG im learning how to use make up too i havent asked my mother to help because i want to figure it out on my own for a bit and yeeeeeeeeeeeeees i have poked my eye with mascera and it frigin hurt but the man problem i have is eyliner and how to put it on with out it looking drastic lol

sooooo yea

:thumbsup: good luck with the make up classes

,evalyn

Guest Julie T

Autumn

I'll try it soon!

Thanks

Dee Jay

Funniest part of that advice. My sister, the one that won't accept me, showed me that tip when I was really young. She doesn't remember, but I do. I practiced and practiced. I was like 10 or 11. Made a heck of a mess. They used to laugh. Let them laugh, I'm wearing makeup and they are only laughing because I did a bad job... Haha, jokes on you. :)

Just wave the tip over a lighter. It'll soften quick. Let it cool and the line goes on dark.

Autumn

That is something I need to try. I usually just lightly lick it with my tongue.

Another way to learn make-up os to have a makeover. Also the concealer at school? If you get asked, tell tem it is acne medication, that's what I would say a hundred years ago when I was still in school.

Julie

Y'know I know about both of those eyeliner tricks and never think to use them. My sis licks, mum does lighter... silly me, spent my whole life staring at my sis, mom and wives doing their makeup and forget to use their tricks when I do my own. And I do mean staring, i have always just sorta stopped whatever I was doing and watched VERY INTENTLY any time I noticed makeup being applied. Drove my sis batty!

<3

Elena

Guest AiAmAngel

Referring to the tips above, I don't think holding a lit flame next to an eyeliner pencil is a great idea. It could just catch on fire? Just use liquid liner, gel liner and an angled brush (best line), or a coal liner pencil. The last of which goes on smoother than regular pencils, I believe. But, I wouldn't know since I mainly use liquid liner (I have a Milani brand blue liner atm). Drugstore black liners don't seem to measure up sometimes.

As with foundation, I use Revlon Colorstay (in 270 hale for oily skin) on the daily. No one can tell at all. I just suggest using a brush and finding a few good tutorials so you get it down with. I remember wearing foundation my 9th grade year, I was NOT blending and it was very obvious to any of the other girls that wore makeup. Needless to say, I blend now- even more so since I only need makeup from the cheekbones down. Blending out the harsh lines is the key :)

As a side note, I've yet to poke myself in the eye? Y'all must not have very steady hands :P My only issue is that as soon as I blink, mascara is ALL over my bottom lid.

A lot of women who are trans seem to have no idea how to do their makeup.

Guest Izzybell

Very cool! Putting on makeup is really tricky. I've only been experimenting with it for about a month, and I have yet to put on mascara without poking myself in the eye, or getting it all over my bottom eyelid when I blink. >_<. lol.

Actually, last time I kept messing up and having to wipe away makeup that my eye got all irritated, and i had to go around telling people I had allergies for the next two days. lol. But I'm sure you'll do a lot better than I've done. Good luck!

-Izzy

Referring to the tips above, I don't think holding a lit flame next to an eyeliner pencil is a great idea. It could just catch on fire? Just use liquid liner, gel liner and an angled brush (best line), or a coal liner pencil. The last of which goes on smoother than regular pencils, I believe. But, I wouldn't know since I mainly use liquid liner (I have a Milani brand blue liner atm). Drugstore black liners don't seem to measure up sometimes.

No worries about catching the pencil on fire. Between my sisters, my roomie and me, we have a collective 100 years doing it and have yet to burn down the house. :)

I use liquid too. It's nice, it affords a very sharp line, but blink onceand it's smeared. Wear contacts, don't dare to out a drop in your eye.

I nice sharp eye lier and a touch of heat gives a nice sharp line that will stay put.

Nothing stays if you touch your eyes, ugh, I rub my eyes all the time.

Guest Karen K

I've only poked myself in the eye once, and that was enough!

I'm gonna try the eyeliner pencil and flame technique for sure. I went to a Merle Norman and had a young girl show me the "how-to" with concealer, foundation and eye make-up as well. They were very nice, even if there products are a bit pricey.

Laura Jane

I love make-up. I've found that a lot of magazines have great tips for different looks and occasions. I want to try it all and even got myself a lash curler and a brow tutorial kit from Sephora...

I'm pretty fast when I need to be but I really like taking my sweet time.

Shari

Guest Maria_B

>.>

I use liquid eye-liner, have a fair bit, usually ends up decent.

Mascara? I have very unsteady hands, so I take it very slowly, drives my Brother's Girlfriend up the wall because she just crudshoots hers and gets it done :P

As far as foundation? I don't use it often. >.> But only use powder

Eye shadow is the hard one. Only found one type I can use without making myself super itchy (surprisingly, cover girl).

Oh, thats another point - Find your favourite Make-up brand for specific products. I mostly use covergirl, but my Mascara is Maybelline and Eyeliner is Avon.

Guest AiAmAngel

>.>

I use liquid eye-liner, have a fair bit, usually ends up decent.

Mascara? I have very unsteady hands, so I take it very slowly, drives my Brother's Girlfriend up the wall because she just crudshoots hers and gets it done :P

As far as foundation? I don't use it often. >.> But only use powder

Eye shadow is the hard one. Only found one type I can use without making myself super itchy (surprisingly, cover girl).

Oh, thats another point - Find your favourite Make-up brand for specific products. I mostly use covergirl, but my Mascara is Maybelline and Eyeliner is Avon.

I bought like 3 cover girl quads and found out they were "eye enhancers"? There's like zero pigment to them compared to brands like Wet n Wild and MAC. Really, the key is to know what type of eyes you have (I have naturally hooded eyes). If you're itchy, just try using a primer for sensitive skin?

I just run the mascara over my eyes (make sure you're using a "wet" formula for that) and head for the door.

Sidenote: anyone who doesn't NEED foundation on the daily is like blessed.

Guest Jenny B Good

Best tip I learnt in makeup school. " Make-up will enhance your best features, and only highlight your worst features as well ". Most GG's don't get this and try to paint on eyebrows, create cheeks they don't have etc.

I found that MVParamount's tutorials on YouTube awesome. They give you a few tips on feminine makeup on the 'male' face, but also it's great to see it in action.

Guest Isabella

I use water proof eye products in liner & mascara & mix my own eyeshadow with Mac pigments over Mac cream colour base. I use powder makeup over my preferred moisturizer instead of liquid makeup on bare skin. Getting your foundation tone is crucial but you don't need to stress if you make a bad pick cuz you can temper it with other products to get the right tone & texture. Physicians formula has some great powder products although they seem to discontinue the good ones for no appairent reason. Mac has some really cool stuff out called liquid minerals that was pretty mind blowing in texture & toutch for me. Still trying to find a liner solution for watery eyes with contacts & sunblock.

• 7 months later...
Guest sleeping chrysalid
Nothing stays if you touch your eyes, ugh, I rub my eyes all the time.

This is a bit late but I've been having the same problem too.

Lizzie McTrucker said nobody notices the subtle things but they sure do notice it when you rub your eyes.

It's been worse as spring has been approaching with allergies. I've been restraining myself since then but I was shocked when someone pointed out the smudge under my eye.

Lesson learned.