• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Wanting to start drugs?

Guest Vince1995

Guest Vince1995

I already smoke...so I don't think drugs would do anything.

Stupid teenager here.

But I heard about some drugs that make you forget your worries; maybe they will take away my worries and gender dysphoria, temporarily.

Yes, yes. I know that drugs are bad for you, but I am to the point that I really don't care at all what happens to me or my body.

Counselor? N.O.

God, No. I hate them now...I just can't deal with that anymore...

Guest Aly Kat

Drugs are bad.

Ok, now that that is over with... i'm 22 mtf & I've tried pretty much everything under the sun and can safely say that nothing really got rid of the dysphoria. Marijuana made me really paranoid and agitated, was fun w/ happy people in safe environment but terrible whenever I felt like crap, and anything else is prolly too addictive to be worth it..

Yes, yes. I know that drugs are bad for you, but I am to the point that I really don't care at all what happens to me or my body.

the two I mentioned are decently safe I guess..you should never do them!!!! but if you do they're pretty safe physical health wise. I really think you should want to take care of your body though -- drugs won't cure gender dysphoria. Dunno much about your situation, but are you pursuing hormones? Getting on female hormones definitely helped me, so maybe getting on T will help you.

If you wanna talk/vent/whatever privately PM me =)

Peace, love, and don't do drugs,

Aly

Vince,

It sounds like you haven't found the 'right' counselor yet, don't give up on all of 'em just yet...

I went to plenty of quacks, believe me, so I don't need convincing that yours may have been no good also..

Drugs are not the answer, and smoking tobacco is seriously no good, either...

I do understand the desire to self-medicate, very well, in fact! Drug and alcohol use ate up a LOT of my time on earth, and I can't get a minute of it back...

But I won't lie to you, either, because no one answer will suit everybody. I know of many people, not all, mind you, but many, that have obtained legal prescribed marijuana to treat depression, PTSD and Bipolar Disorder with better results than they were getting from prescribed pharmaceuticals. But I must warn you that using weed can be problematic, in and of itself, so tread very slowly and only in the safest of conditions, and only with the consent of a prescribing doctor and your parents, if you are underage...If you do not live in a state that allows medical marijuana, then disregard this and stay legal...

That said, MY opinion is that you avoid taking this route altogether. Why? Because, as you said, 'stupid teenager :doh1: ', your brain is still not done wiring itself up and you may inadvertently compromise your mental and emotional development. I think you realize that now isn't the time to complicate your issues any more than they already are...

You seem like a great fellow to me, but you are stuck in a place and time in your life that is just plain 'sucky'...but there won't be any instant fixes for any of us trans-folk, we have to press onward, in spite of the crap we have to feel for now. It will get better, lad, it really will...

What a person decides to do is ultimately their choice and they must own the consequences thereof.

Be safe, whatever you do. Don't be rash, don't put yourself at risk needlessly, please...

And whatever you do, don't get into any street drugs. 'Herbal' life is one thing, chemicals are another. Even with herbal life, there are too many risks involved with getting it illegally. You just never know...how would your GD be if you were incarcerated, even for a short while? It would suck far worse than you may be realize...

Also, definitely stay away from the legal-ish synthetic smoke crud. That stuff could whack-out Snoop Dogg himself!!

Keep working on finding better counseling, that is where I'd be looking if I were you...

Love and strength to you in these times of distress, Svenna

Guest CariadsCarrot

I've never done drugs so maybe advice from me isn't helpful but I honestly believe that they cause more problems than they ease in the long term. I don't think that's the way to make things better Vince. If I thought for a moment that they were the answer to dealing with the dysphoria and other junk then I'd probably be taking them. Man, most of us probably would! But most of the 'easy' answers aren't really answers at all. Reading some of the other posts in this section of the forum might help to prove that.

The real answers take time. It sux but it's true. The little steps in transitioning can help some in the meantime tho. I'm sorry if that's a lame answer.

You say that you hate counsellors and it sounds like maybe you've felt let down or hurt by one maybe..? That doesn't mean all counsellors are gonna be bad mate.

Guest Rowan19

Vince, just don't. Nothing's worse than becoming drug had intercourse. My Dad has been smoking pot since he was 13 and has done some hard drugs along the way, he is now 30-something and drug had intercourse. Sure he's still a great guy, but he's only half the man he could've been. U'd understand if u met him, or someone like him... Just don't, it's a bad idea. The after effects are no where NEAR worth it!

Well Vince if you don't think drugs would do anything you are absolutely correct. So why start in the first place? I have known a lot of people who have used them for a lot of different reasons over the years and not one was helped by their use. I have watched a couple friends die because of using drugs to try and solve their problems. In some cases where one problem may have been masked others popped up to take their place.

What kind of counselors have you been to and what has been the problems? Maybe you just haven't seen the right people. Please don't say stupid teenager because there is no such thing. You are a valuable person who can live a complete and wonderful life if you just don't give up. Remember you are not alone in this as those of us here have been through many of the same issues and are here to help.

Mia

Guest Vince1995

I never said I wanted to do drugs to cure the dysphoria, just to take my mind off of it.

I'm not even seeing a gender therapist yet, so no T.

I have PTSD, Depression, and am Bi-Polar...;;

One of the many problems associated with the pharmaceuticals that take away your worries is that physical addiction occurs and it must be weaned under a doctors supervision lest very bad things happen. The ones you describe have been used by people with phobias such as flying, etc. I have first hand stories of girls giving up their bodies to get them and then washing them down with booze. When that happens the abuser can lose days or weeks of memory completely. That phenomenon of course makes it much easier for the girl doing the dealer for drugs to live with herself...

The biggest problem with all drugs though, is that the temporary feeling of well being simply isn't r-e-a-l..

Usually, the world is still waiting and the hole has been dug a little deeper.

So I agree with the others- get a good counselor and stay away from the drugs. A wise friend says "no matter how bad your problems are, you can only make them worse by using..."

Best wishes

Michelle

I never said I wanted to do drugs to cure the dysphoria, just to take my mind off of it.

I'm not even seeing a gender therapist yet, so no T.

I have PTSD, Depression, and am Bi-Polar...;;

Vince,

You have been dealt a complicated hand in this life, no doubt. I also have PTSD, Depression, Bipolar disorder and Gender Dysphoria. In addition, I tried the drug route and then had the additional challenges of beating alcoholism, cocaine addiction and Benzo addiction...so, lemme tell you, things can only get worse with the addition of those things. One day I woke up at 27 and I was nearly dead, Real DEAD. And I still had GD, PTSD, BP etc., but I had to beat the booze and street drug just to live at all. My GD was still driving me nuts and I eventually was prescribed Xanax for the panic attacks that I was beginning to have over my PTSD/GD issues at 43 years of age. The doctors knew they were addicting me, but they knew nothing about GD, so they made matters worse. I was numb for 6, yes count 'em, SIX years. It has been two years since I began to ween off off the Xanax. It took FIVE excruciating months to get 'clean'. That was followed by 2 months of HORRENDOUS acute withdrawal symptoms, followed by another 18 months, yes EIGHTEEN MONTHS of incredibly diverse and painful Protracted Withdrawal Symptoms. It was just a few months ago that I began to speak in FULL SENTENCES. My brain was scramble, toasted and fried...

And you know what? When the withdrawal symptoms FINALLY eased up enough to gather a thought, do you know what my first thought was?

I'll tell you. My first thought, even after 50 years of denial, was "WHY AM I A GIRL STUCK IN A MAN'S BODY???'....yes, the GD was still kicking my arse, even after all those years...

I have been running from my transness ever since I was a child...

I started drinking at 13, in 8th grade....there was NO hope for a trans-person back then, lad, unlike today...

So, why am I telling you my life story?

Because your life is beginning JUST LIKE MINE DID, with GD, PTSD, BP etc...

The difference is, I didn't know better, nobody was there to explain it all to me, point by point, like I can explain it to you...

Stay off drugs, unless you want to, perhaps, wake up in 30 years, still facing the SAME troubles, but having lost 30 precious years of a potentially new life...

In my experience, in my humble opinion, unless you are VERY careful, you will end up making then very same mistakes I did...don't!

So, what to do?

Your NUMBER ONE priority should be getting with a Gender Therapist IMMEDIATELY. There is nothing more important than addressing your GD, so even if you have to mow lawns, deliver newspapers, flip burgers, sell your stereo, whatever you need to do, you NEED to talk with somebody that is qualified about your Gender Dysphoria as soon as possible...

Stop entertaining such ideas, start getting on the road to wellness and a happy life. You will be glad you did...

Love and respect for the road you are traveling, Svenna

My counselor is trying to get me to a therapist ASAP. We're waiting to hear back from them.

Way to go!!!!!!!

I'm very happy to hear this, Vince, very happy...

Rock on, my brother, rock on...Svenna

• Forum Moderator

I tried the drug route when I was a teenager. Tried pretty much most things that didn't require a needle. It didn't help and really it was just a waste of time and money. The Timothy Leary method of self therapy never did come with any guarantees and that's still true now. Granted, we can't all afford or have access to a therapist but perhaps there's a support group you could attend?

Guest Vince1995

The closest support group for anything around here is Phoenix orrrrrr Scottsdale. Don't have the gas to get up there, no public transportation runs like that, and my mom's tags are bad.

Guest Jae_russ

Dude, Don't do it. I understand what you are thinking. Hell, I did it. And I did it harder than most. I used the hardest drugs the hardest way. And, I'll be honest with you, sometimes, when I was really high I felt ok about my body. But, being trans in rehab is a real challenge. I'm not saying that if you try drugs you will end up in rehab...but I am saying that you will only add to your list of problems. I am not just a transman.. I'm also an addict. Pump the breaks dude. Hold on to your physical freedom. Learn healthy ways of coping with life. Otherwise you may wake up 10 years later in the same wrong body.. and with a monkey on your back.

Guest Jae_russ

It took me a long time to figure out that people don't do drugs, drugs do them. Transitioning has made me much more protective of myself and my autonomy. I don't want to wake up dope sick. I don't want to be a slave. I don't want to spend surgery money on a few hours fix. I learned it the hard way. I walked in willingly and had to fight like hell to make it out alive.

Guest ErikaRose

Honestly, I agree it may seem to be a great idea, in fact it's the worst thing you will ever do for self. I have an alcoholic mother, and she is verbally abusive, in the worst way. This made me loath alcohol, that method of coping wasn't even on the table. So I turned to weed, and lots of it, but that is the problem! The only thing I gained from the main three! (Alcohol, Tobacco, and Marijuana.) Was ten years of nothing, ten years completely wasted! Ten years which I could of used to face my problem and make myself happy! I still smoke but no longer allow it to hold me back! (It still does, not as much, but yeah It does!) If possible skip, this road entirely! You will be happier for it, in the long run! I am completely petrified of every other drug! Which I am glad, I have noticed I like to sabotage myself!

Stay Strong =)

<3

Erika