Leah1026

SOC Version 7 Just Released

Leah1026   
Leah1026

You can read about some of the major changes in a blog post by Kelley Winters and download the new SOC here:

http://gidreform.wordpress.com/2011/09/25/new-standards-of-care-for-the-health-of-transsexual-transgender-and-gender-nonconforming-people/

Very important for everyone to read. I see a lot of good changes.

I wonder how Dr Zucker is reacting to WPATH calling reparative therapy for trans people (which he does) unethical.

KimOrbit   
KimOrbit

thank you for sharing link. Im sure that is useful at lest for me. :)

Kim

VickySGV   
VickySGV

I was there at the WPATH conference when they officially launched the new Version 7. That was a true celebration with a heck of a lot of champagne handed out to toast the final release and the people who worked on it. Repairative therapy has been declared to be unethical as far as the people who use the SOC. Therapists are now effectively travel planners instead of gate keepers under this, and from talking to several of them as a semi colleague, I can truthfull say that they have wanted it that way. One described it to me as their being the Sherpa's who help the real climbers of Mt. Everest.

Gender Dysphoria is no longer a mental disorder according to WPATH, it is a medical condition. It is a variation of human behavior and not an illness, although the people with it are subject to stress for having it.

I feel so priviledged to have been there at Emory University last Sunday. What a WOW!

Guest Kaitlyn88   
Guest Kaitlyn88

I just read this. Things are slowly improving. :)

Guest sophia.gentry58   
Guest sophia.gentry58

I could be wrong, but I don't seem to find in the SOC 7 version that articulates the need for RLT. However, I do recall reading it somewhere here in one of the threads that it is no longer necessary for RLT. Which is it, is it obligatory to go through a year or two of RLT before GRS or not?

Sophia

KimberlyF   
KimberlyF

I could be wrong, but I don't seem to find in the SOC 7 version that articulates the need for RLT. However, I do recall reading it somewhere here in one of the threads that it is no longer necessary for RLT. Which is it, is it obligatory to go through a year or two of RLT before GRS or not?

Sophia

Criteria for metoidioplasty or phalloplasty in FtM patients and for vaginoplasty in MtF patients:

1. Persistent, well documented gender dysphoria;

2. Capacity to make a fully informed decision and to consent for treatment;

3. Age of majority in a given country;

4. If significant medical or mental health concerns are present, they must be well controlled;

5. 12 continuous months of hormone therapy as appropriate to the patient’s gender goals (un- less the patient has a medical contraindication or is otherwise unable or unwilling to take hormones).

6. 12 continuous months of living in a gender role that is congruent with their gender identity;

These are recommendations. Not written in stone.

Guest LizMarie   
Guest LizMarie

As Kimberly notes, these are guidelines. From the SOC v7:

The criterion noted above for some types of genital surgeries – i.e., that patients engage in 12
continuous months of living in a gender role that is congruent with their gender identity – is based on
expert clinical consensus that this experience provides ample opportunity for patients to experience
and socially adjust in their desired gender role, before undergoing irreversible surgery
So it really is up to the therapist and how they view the patient.
Not being privy to each individual case, I would not presume to judge someone who obtained GRS who was granted surgery under less restrictive conditions. For example, my therapist is quite confident that when I do go full time that I'm going to be pretty happy with my situation and has stated I could probably request my referral letters within 6 months of that time. However, I told her I have every personal intention of trying to go the full year before I do that, or at least request my referral letters so that my surgery will be no earlier than 1 year after I am full time. (And then there's finances but that's another considertion. :D )

TessaLee   
TessaLee
On 8/22/2013 at 9:53 AM, KimberlyF said:

6. 12 continuous months of living in a gender role that is congruent with their gender identity;

These are recommendations. Not written in stone.

I am glad they are easing up on this. I believe that Testosterone is toxic to my system, and I would go about transition completely backwards if allowed. HRT and GCS, then FFS, then RLT. Because of the restrictions, I have been taking matters into my own hands, with the outcome being testicular atrophy. (I should not feel forced to do that).  I can't wait to see what my T levels are next month after my next doctor's appt. (Hoping to see them in the 300 range naturally without spiro)

TessaLee   
TessaLee

Sorry, I just realized that this was an old post, and so I see that doctors still follow the recommendations from the WPATH SOC concerning RLT as a requirement for GCS.

VickySGV   
VickySGV
7 hours ago, TessaLee said:

Sorry, I just realized that this was an old post, and so I see that doctors still follow the recommendations from the WPATH SOC concerning RLT as a requirement for GCS.

WPATH recommends, but does not require RLT.  It is suggested, but no set timing is there and is up to the professional discretion of your medical team.  Nor is there a single definition of what RLT is.  In some cases today, HRT is part of the diagnostic process, a change since SOC 7 was released but affirmed at subsequent WPATH meetings.  The result is that while I was glad to make a social transition before my surgery (but a year AFTER HRT had started) just to make things real.  The fact I had to schedule surgery a year in advance was taken into account.  As it was I could have quit, literally at the hospital door 4 years ago.

MarcieMarie12   
MarcieMarie12

My only trpedation about GCS is the pain. Also as Vicky pointed out, by the time you have both letters and are ready to schedule it will probably be at least another 6 months until your surgery. Also, depending on you needs, the surgeon, you will have to remove the hair down there which can take time....

TessaLee   
TessaLee
11 hours ago, VickySGV said:

WPATH recommends, but does not require RLT.

My heath insurance states that it follows all WPATH recommendations. It could therefore be problematic if a doctor or GT does not line up with WPATH (My coverage would be in question). My health coverage specifically lists all WPATH recommendations as requirements. Most doctors also list all WPATH recommendations as requirements. WPATH recommendations have far reaching affects on the Trans community; set in place to protect and unfortunately to police as well (which may not have been its original intent).

Fiona   
Fiona

That's wonderful. I hope they can begin to move faster as this snowball begins picking up speed. 

VickySGV   
VickySGV

@TessaLee This may be your insurance company situation on paper to be sure, but for our other members here the situation is a little looser than you describe for yourself.

First:  I was at the WPATH convention when SOC 7 was official ratified by the membership and released and am in contact with full members on a regular basis. I am also a non-professional member of WPATH btw.  If any truly professional M.D. or Mental Health Professional attempts to use them as a technical Check List, they are  not following WPATH's plan or goals for patient treatment.  Some health care providers who have very few patients may seem to use the SOC 7 as a must-do until they get up to speed it is true.

Second: As a post-op woman who is highly involved in the Trans* community nation wide which includes our Health Care Providers, I am sharing my Real Life Experience with you and others here. 

TessaLee   
TessaLee

Vicky,

Thank you for your insight into WPATH. You are correct that my insurance lists WPATH as a check list, but maybe they still leave plenty of room for the doctor's advice. I did not get enough time in with my GT, but my doctor and GT talked, and they decided that HRT was needed sooner, rather than later, after more GT appointments. My insurance company did not complain, and has paid for all appointments and for HRT medications. I  believe my doctor is concerned that if I don't get the HRT that I need, that I may self medicate and take other actions to reduce my T-Levels, which I have done in the past. So, thanks to you and others, I am loosing the gate keeper mentality, and will appreciate doctors working with me in my backwards (inside out) approach to transitioning. I hate those things attached to me that produce T, and I am looking forward to the day when they aren't there anymore. That and facial hair upset me. I am still trying to find out if my insurance company will help me with finding someone that can perform electrolysis (which they will pay for). Everyone around here where I live only accept cash or credit card for payment.

Tejana   
Tejana
On 1/11/2017 at 10:03 AM, VickySGV said:

@TessaLee This may be your insurance company situation on paper to be sure, but for our other members here the situation is a little looser than you describe for yourself.  First:  I was at the WPATH convention when SOC 7 was official ratified by the membership and released and am in contact with full members on a regular basis. I am also a non-professional member of WPATH btw.  If any truly professional M.D. or Mental Health Professional attempts to use them as a technical Check List, they are  not following WPATH's plan or goals for patient treatment.  Some health care providers who have very few patients may seem to use the SOC 7 as a must-do until they get up to speed it is true.  Second: As a post-op woman who is highly involved in the Trans* community nation wide which includes our Health Care Providers, I am sharing my Real Life Experience with you and others here. 

WOW!  We're lucky to have you here.

Charlize   
Charlize

I agree we are indeed lucky to have all of us here, especially those who are well vetted, connected and informed about issues affecting the trans* community.  At times i think i know all there is to know but i am still learning as i read what others have to say.  I also know doctors involved in WPATH but personally i do not have the inclination to be as involved as Vicky is but am glad she does and is willing to share with us.

Hugs,

Charlize