• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Existentialism

Guest Keira

Then again life does not have to have meaning. Meaning is something dogma requires. Many people life full and enjoyable lives with out meaning. Does the universe have meaning? Does sand have meaning? It is emotions that are not controlled than create an uneasy feeling unless traditionally there is an answer. Meditation can help understand that emptiness.

Then again life does not have to have meaning. Meaning is something dogma requires. Many people life full and enjoyable lives with out meaning. Does the universe have meaning? Does sand have meaning? It is emotions that are not controlled than create an uneasy feeling unless traditionally there is an answer. Meditation can help understand that emptiness.

Yeah, that's a good point. I suppose some people are content to live "meaningless" lives, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I suspect most of us do feel the need to find some kind of meaning or purpose. I'll add links to a couple of related philosophies...

Absurdism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism

Nihilism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism

Without meaning is not necessarily "meaningless". Personal goals as well as humanitarian goals do not have to relate to, or employ universal goals or meaning.

I think that's basically what existentialism tries to show... that there is no universal or objective meaning to life. Or if there is, it's unattainable. In that sense life itself is "meaningless". But instead, we can still create personal or humanitarian goals to achieve some element of meaning in our own lives.

For instance, some religions regard finding enlightenment or salvation as the meaning to life. But really, do such concepts even exist? I'd rather set my sights a bit closer to home and find meaning in learning, education, happiness, and other personal goals. :)

how could life have no meaning? that would make everything... pointless. and thus there would be no right and no wrong, so no anything. meaning is the reason behind everything.

how could life have no meaning? that would make everything... pointless. and thus there would be no right and no wrong, so no anything. meaning is the reason behind everything.

A life without meaning or point can be freeing. If I stop and ask myself "why am I here?", I can't come up with a solid answer. I don't believe I was born into the world with any pre-determined purpose, so I'm free to create my own goals and follow my own path. I'm responsible for how my life turns out by the choices I make along the way. As for right and wrong, they are both very subjective. Whether something is "right" or "wrong" depends entirely on the situation and one's personal values.

Yes, right and wrong can be subjective, but if you were an observer that knew everything you would have an absolute knowledge of right and wrong. But if everything was pointless and had no meaning, the observer couldn't say anything was right or wrong because everything has no purpose, point, or reason. Just sounds degrading to me.

Yes, right and wrong can be subjective, but if you were an observer that knew everything you would have an absolute knowledge of right and wrong.

Yes, but since such an observer doesn't exist, we have to accept that absolute knowledge of right and wrong is unattainable.

But if everything was pointless and had no meaning, the observer couldn't say anything was right or wrong because everything has no purpose, point, or reason. Just sounds degrading to me.

I agree, the observer couldn't say anything was right or wrong... from an objective point of view. But instead of saying something is right or wrong in itself, he could still say that he believes something is right or wrong according to his own values. In some cultures, sacrificing animals is morally sound. To others, it's morally abhorrent. Nobody can objectively say which of these cultures is right.

to our knowledge the absolute truth is unattainable, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. to answer the sacrificing animals, you would need more information that that alone. you can't judge based on surface value.

to our knowledge the absolute truth is unattainable, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. to answer the sacrificing animals, you would need more information that that alone. you can't judge based on surface value.
[but if you were an observer that knew everything you would have an absolute knowledge of right and wrong/quote]

The fact is that "absolute' has never been attained and may not exist . It is a belief, which definition is up there with infinity. When we run into abstract ideas which border on our ability to understand some people have to assign an answer even if it is not true. The facts are that there are things we do not know. The best we can do is ask questions and look for facts to answer them.

Right and wrong only exist in the human subjective judgment. questions look at the facts that go on around us and try to find general themes that can predict under the same conditions the same thing will happen. We understand and live in 4 dimensions.Things like radio waves have been here since the beginning of known history however it has only been the last few hundred years we have the ability to detect them. I am guessing that there are many other things here we do not detect at the present time. Looking at past history it is probable that we will detect more things in the future. This is not absolute.

Math predicts over 10 dimensions, that is a belief until the facts are proved.

• 6 years later...

One of my dear friends (who is no longer on this physical plane) once told me he believed there was no good or evil, no right or wrong... just... neutral. It's our minds that decide to categorize things as such. In a way, I agree with that, and when it comes to "meaning" or "purpose", I think that's the same concept... also only within our minds. It's not necessarily a bad thing to find purpose, but sometimes it can be freeing to know that the world isn't going to end just because you didn't fulfill your "life's purpose" xD Everything is just how we percieve it. So in a way... perception goes hand in hand with the concept of existence. "I think, therefore I am"...

My two cents anyway :)

• 6 months later...
Guest Syd_UK

i think it depends entirely on the individual. i think there is meaning in some senses but not meaning in others. certainly my reason for being here isnt the same as anyone elses. i think i have the freedom to choose some things but not others. thats been my experience in any case :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   14 Members, 0 Anonymous, 70 Guests (See full list)

• Shay
    • BreM
    • Motormouth95
    • Audrey
    • A. Dillon
    • KymmieL
    • ElizabethStar
    • ValerieRun
    • Jackie C.
    • Synthara
    • Kelli
    • Confused1
    • Willa
    • Astrid
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Skai
    Newest Member
    Skai

1. FluffyDiscoLayce
      FluffyDiscoLayce
      (29 years old)
    2. Rabbit
      Rabbit
    3. SandraG
      SandraG
    4. Zalid
      Zalid
      (30 years old)
    • Shay
    • Jackie C.
      It's a size vs. manufacturer expectations thing. If you're huge (5'11", longish torso, 42 inch band, A cup breasts) you get trouble with things like, "42 inch chest? She must have HUGE tracts of land!" or "Women are small, so these straps can easily be adjusted to any length from 6" too short to 2" too short."   I think you're just lucky enough to fall into what manufacturers consider "normal female range."   Hugs!  
    • ValerieRun
      Oh oh, am I wearing bras wrong or wearing wrong bras? Have not had any issues with straps yet, now I feel like I am in for a big disaster 😉
    • Kelli
      Thank you for the support.   I found a therapist online and I would love to go meet her. The bad thing about this is I don't have my driver's license (I'm 30 years old and I don't have my license) to go talk to her.  Also, I don't want my parents knowing I'm want to go see a therapist, especially when I'm living with them. I don't want to them to know my issues that I have especially when it comes to my sexuality and gender. 
    • Shay
      @Chiefsrule58 - welcome - you will find incredible ladies here. I have found refuge and sanctuary as I transition. I'm 68 so you are a young'n to me and I'm happy to welcome you here.
    • Confused1
      Hi Jamie,   Welcome to TransPulse. Thank you for your service. My immediate family and very close friends are all that know about me as well.   Hugs, Mike
    • Willow
      Good Friday morning    I get a day off today, well sort of.  House work, grocery store, rain coming later.  Tomorrow evening our son is coming for a short visit. He has to be in Atlanta Tuesday so he is coming here first.     I had a nice talk with my therapist yesterday.  We discussed a number of things.  She indicated she could tell I was doing better than the last time we spoke, much happier and more outgoing.   my wife hard me mentioning a diagnosis of severe depressive disorder.  When we ended the session, my wife says to me would I be happier if I was fully out.  I’m thinking where is this coming from.  Turns out she heard severe depressive disorder I thought I was having serious problems.  No, that was my original diagnosis from when I first saw my doctor and first therapist about being depressed and needing help.  But knowing how she feels, I felt very loved that she would express that to me and say that I should just be out if that’s what I needed.  Just talking about this is bringing tears of happiness .   Cant see right now so I’ll be back later.   hugs   Willow
    • KayC
      I found that if I run my mouse across the whole line at once, it sounds like a major accident/spill in a restaurant kitchen 😁
    • KayC
      Hi @Kelli  nice to meet you and Welcome!   I think Questioning is natural, and for me (and mostly likely most of us here) it was really a first step of the process.  It might be the end point, or just the beginning of your journey. I agree with @Susan R and @Gabriel on the importance of therapy to be able to truly explore your feelings and identity in an open and non-judgemental environment.  Therapy has been an amazing experience in self-acceptance for me. Also, my experience from my time here in the Forum, is as I read more and more from other Members, it was easy to make a connection to some of our common shared experiences.  That was very helpful for me to start to connect the dots. Wishing you all the best, and hope to hear more from you❣️   Deep breaths ... one step at a time
    • Charlize
      Good luck with that Mira.  Hopefully the therapies you mention will help you find good sleep.   Hugs,   Charlize
    • Willow
      Some good information there.  I wear Soma all the time .  I like their softness and side coverage.  But admittedly I also have the falling straps issue.   I’ve considered Third Love and Pepper but since I’m in a growth phase I’m going to hold off.   Willow 
    • Shay
      I didn't come out at work and applaud you for doing so. I know acceptance of me would not happen in my day. I know it is hard but I am pleased you are doing it and braving it to know YOU are the reason things ARE changing and the next generation will thank you pioneer women and I'm not talking cooking. I admire you. I have been on HRT for 5 months and my internal pains continue to stew and tears come so much quicker but even now I am still such a rookie that you probably don't need to think of that any longer. You are making great progress. Be happy and keep doing what you are doing because whether you notice it or not you've come a LONG way and i am so proud of you.
    • MiraM
      **Update** We now have a target to shoot at in trying to deal with the fatigue.  Last Saturday I went in for a sleep study and I have been diagnosed with severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Periodic Leg Movement Disorder.  There are also signs of Restless Leg Syndrome.  They recorded an average of 42 apnea/hypopnea events and hour and 30 involuntary leg movements per hour.  The data showed an overall arousal index of 59 times an hour and a sleep efficiency of 54%.  They are pretty sure that this is a major factor in the my fatigue.   I am being referred to the Sleep apnea/C-PAP clinic to get set up with a C-PAP machine, and they may consider putting me on medication for the PLMD/RLS.  I guess time will tell if the fatigue gets better once I begin the C-PAP therapy.  They also said that the sleep apnea is likely contributing to my high blood pressure that is difficult to control with medication, and may also be a factor in my insomnia and weight issues.   I will post another update after I have been on the treatment.
    • Charlize
      I'm glad you are back Tyler.   I know that this site helped and continues to help me.  Hope you find the same.   Hugs.   Charlize
    • Audrey
      @ElizabethStarThis is one of my biggest worries about coming out at work. I'm sure it's deeply painful for you that some your co-workers aren't creating the emotionally supportive space for you. I do hope you have other co-workers who do accept you and a supportive HR department if it comes to that. I'm early in my transition and not out to anyone in my office yet, but I will need to do something because my physical changes will soon be less subtle and more obvious and that will bring the inevitable questions. My colleagues (and clients!) may have harmful views of transgender people as well and I'm sensing that I may face a similar situation to yours in the future. I work in a very small agency that's very prone to gossip so I'm fearful of what coming out will be like.   Love, ~Audrey.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.