• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Palin: Iraq War 'a Task That Is From God'

Palin: Iraq war 'a task that is from God'

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080903/ap_on_...xJU5DmktWKs0NUE

I found the Republican Vice Presidential Candidate, Sarah Palin's comments about the Iraqu War to be very disturbing. This sounds like very dangerous thinking to me. With John McCain's age, 72 this person could realistically become President soon. It is bad enough to lie to us about the WMD's that were never found in Iraqu but to go to war on a "task that is from God" is totally irresponsible and fanatical. Imagine this woman with her finger on a nuclear trigger ready to go to war for God.

What are your thoughts?

Laura

Guest Christine-Louise

Laura I agree it doesn't bear thinking about (the nuclear button that is), though I live in the UK I didn't like what I was hearing earlier today on the news, She seems full of running people down, like I said for our Man in charge Mr Brown, the WRONG PERSON FOR THE JOB applies to Her also I think.

• Root Admin

She's not afraid to speak her mind. That's for sure. She has family values. I like that. Everyone seems to be assuming that John McCain is going to die if he should become president. I think that's putting the cart before the horse. Could she run the country if McCain should die in office?? I don't know. She lacks political experience but maybe that's not such a bad thing. Maybe the "good ole boys" in Washington could stand a good shake up. Just my opinion. I'm kinda sitting on the fence at the moment. Not really sure which way I'm going to vote.

MaryEllen :)

BTW She's also a Life member of the NRA. That alone would guarantee her between 4 to 5 million votes

Guest Michele H

I thought she handled her self vary well - She's got a lot of spunk and certainly more leadership experience than what is offered on the democratic ticket. As for the war - my take is that she won't back down from a fight but wouldn't go look for one either. I would also expect to see some rollbacks in some of the more onerous security features implemented over the last 7 years under a McCain-Palin presendency. I am vet.

Hi,

I thought that goverment and church is seperated in the USA. The US goverment do not like countries like Iran were religious people try to rule the country. But than you get comments like "Iraq War a task that is from God" or every time something goes terrible wrong in the USA the president (W. Bush) said that he will pray for the people and "God save all" etc. In the case that a hurrican destroyed my house because goverment was not able to run the protection devices and said the he pray for me, I would fell a bit that he is ****in' me.

I hope that somebody wil disable the button in the future.

Greetings

Nelly

We are in two wars now. The Afghanistan war was legitimate as we are fighting terrorists after 9/11. The Iraqu War was fought on the pretense that their were Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraqu. There wern't any, not one. So they need a new excuse for the war and Sarah Palin says " It is a task from God". Jihaddists and Terrorists believe they too have a "task from God". Certainly we wouldn't want them to have access to nuclear weapons. The horror is unimaginable.

A couple of months ago Senator McCain Sang "Bomb, Bomb Iran" to a Beach Boys tune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAzBxFaio1I treating it as a joke. Killing people even in war is no joke. What if Governor Palin's relgious convictions make her think she has another "Task from God"? We have our own religious fanatics right here at home. Should they though have their finger on the nuclear button? She does for instance not believe in a Woman's right to choose. With three Supreme Court Justices ready to retire she could appoint Justices that would overturn "Roe Vs Wade". She doesn't believe in sex education or birth control for teens but subscribes to abstinence only programs that didn't work for her own daughter who is pregnant. She is also no friend to LGBT people and niether is John Mccain. They appeal to Rednecks And homophobes on religious grounds.

There is suppossed to be seperation from church and state. However if you notice over the last 8 years there hasn't been as God got pulled into many debates. In 2004 Bush energized the religious right to vote by denying the right of gays to marry and promoted homophobia. His supporters didn't think about any other issue facing them. They ran a campaign of fear against gays. This year in California they are trying the same tactics to win in that state. If they win the election Transgender people will have to wait another 4 to possibly eight years to get the rights that All human beings should have. "Are we better off than we were eight years ago"? Will we be in the next eight? That's up to us.

This election is right now 50/50 with the country split down the middle. In 2000 Bush lost the popular vote but won the Electoral College. In 2004 he won the popular vote by a slim margin. This is probably the most important election in history. Your vote is important and will effect the next four years. Registration for the Fall election ends soon. No matter who you vote for I hope everyone will vote. There is much at stake and a lot to think about. Either way the outcome will effect you for the next 4 years.

Laura

Guest jantonio

I don't like this woman's views, they are kind of scary. She is against abortion, gay marriage and other things. Now she's throwing God into this? I really don't like it when politians include God in their views because to me is relinquinshing responsibility but that's just what I think. Eventhough I am middle of the road and I was considering McCain, I am not too impressed by his choice of electing Palin as his VP. Not because she's a woman, trust me I wish there was a woman president someday in the US but because I don't like her views.

Jose Antonio...

I dont think shes that bad. She gave that quote during a church meeting and thus it makes a little more sense to include God in it. It's not like it was in the middle of a presidential debate. We have our Freedom of Religion. That means our politicians should have a religion and have the right to exercise belief in one. I think people many times use those kind of phrases without putting a whole lot of reason behind it anyway.

McCain isnt that old. Why does everyone think he's gonna die tomorrow? Hes not 90!

What I find interesting is that Laura says she is against murder of people in all cases. My question is, why do you, Laura, believe abortion is okay? Abortion is simply ruthless murder of innocent children. Women have the right to choose. That decision is made before having sex and thus becoming pregnant. Abortion is irresponsible and in many cases causes despair due to the murder of the mother's child. I must say Palin has the right idea when it comes to abortion.

So what i her daughter is pregnant? Shes not Sarah Palin! Come on people!

Well, thats my 2 cents

Hi,

in a democratic system, the spokeman of the people must represent the opinion of the people he spoke for. There is no space for own opinion. If the VP says that the Iraq war is a task of God, than the people from the rest of the world must think that this is the opinion of the people of the country of the VP. For the VP it is okay to have an own opinion. But than do not tell anybody if you are on a worktrip.

They idea that children get no sex education is the same idea to let people drive a car without driving license. Knowledge of something helps to protect the children to make any mistakes. If they make no mistakes they will not get pregnant by random and they do not need abortion. So sex education make abortion useless.

Greetings

Nelly

Many who do not believe in abortion for themselves or their families still believe in a woman's right to choose as a civil liberty. I am no exception. No one forces people to have abortions. However the religious right would take away women's rights to choose imposing their religious beliefs on her. Religion should be seperate from government according to our founders. Certainly religion should'nt keep LGBT citizens from having human rights based on religious beliefs. Civil marriage and religious marriage are not the same. Moreover religion should never be a reason to go to war. The Catholic Church has threatened elected Catholic Senators and Representatives with expulsion (ex-communication) if they vote for a woman's right to choose. No church has no right to intefere in the running of my government. If an ordinary citizen threatened a government official they would be arrested. Governor Palin is free to believe as she wishes. However she does not have the right to impose those beliefs on our countries other citizens.

I'm religious myself, more than you realize. However I know there is a time and place for everything. Everyone is free to believe as they wish and can express their opinions including Government officials. However they cannot impose their beliefs on others making laws to impose their will. It's fine to believe in abstinence. However it is not the only option. All options should be taught. The original reason for the Iraqu war was because they were suppossed to have had weapons of mass destruction (WMD's). Seeing that there were'nt any the reason for the war no longer exists. Telling me as a citizen that the new reason is that the war is a "Task from God" is not going to get them my vote. Religion is fine in church or to carry in your heart. It needs though, to stay out of my government as it's founders intended.

Laura

Separation of Church and State was intended to force the government from forcing citizens to go to a certain church and pay a tax to a church. It doesn't mean people can't have religious views or exercise them while making important decisions. I agree that the government shouldn't force religion on others, but I don't think that is the case here.

I believe women should and do have the right to choose, but not abortion. The arguement is on abortion not the right to choose to have a child. Women have that choice before they get pregnant, unless rape or similaar is the cause of pregnancy. I cannot understand how anyone can support such ruthless murder of innocent children. It makes me sick :(

I think we need to be pragmatic when it comes to issues like abortion. The fact is that abortions WILL happen, regardless of whether they are legal or not. So, there are really two options:

1. Keep abortions illegal, forcing women to resort to dangerous self-induced or backstreet abortions.

2. Make abortions legal, providing safe and professional methods to carry them out.

The best way to avoid and lessen abortion is to teach and use birth control. Abstinence is a worthwhile goal to teach kids but isn't realsitic in practice. The large number of teen births tells us that. The problem is many who are against abortion are also against teaching teens about birth control methods. That makes no sense to me. When abstinence doesn't work then what?

Laura

Well, making abortion illegal would still lessen the number of abortions performed. education is key as people do need understand what they're doing before doing it. society as a whole needs to work on this because sex is so heavily advertised and that forms education for todays world.

I don't think everyone who is against abortion is against sex education. I think Palin's point is that it should be taught by the parents instead of the school. Butin any case being Vice President won't allow her to change education very much.

Okay, here are my thought's. This palin person disgusts me. What does she say when she gives her speech. Not one thing with any substance. Instead, all she can do is sling mud at the other candidate. This above all else suggests the republicans will continue bush's policies. Yes, i was a republican until bush came into office. I do not like to be lied to. Nothing makes me more angry. bush lied about wmd. Let's not forget big oil. who in the hell do you think runs this country. NOT THE PEOPLE. When bush came into office, gas was $1.46 a gallon. Wake up people. The only reason I ws a republican was because of my gun right's. Now I know that if our government even tries to take away our guns, there will be a revolt. There are militias and others who will not let this happen. Don't you know we have our gun rights to protect us from the government. That aside, this lady sides with big oil and wants to drill, drill, drill. How is this going to get us off of our oil addiction. What, do you think oil is going to last forever. The woman and the far right wing are against us. how could you want to have her in office when she DOES NOT support us transgendered people's. Barack Obama has already proven that he will stand up for us. How in the hell could you not support him. What are your priorities. I for one do not want to wait another 4 years to get a transgender friendly candidate in office. I just cannot believe what some of you are saying. I am so disgusted with the republicans I went and joined the Barack Obama campaign, knocking on doors and phone banking. I know who I want in office. I know that I want someone who will stand up for transgender people's. This is my priority. What is yours, gun right's? Don't worry about your gun right's. before they take away our gun rights there will be civil war on our own soil. Take my word for it. We cannot let the republicans continue their wanton destruction of our country. We are being gouged by big oil. If they can afford to give themselves over 400,000,000.00 bonus's annually, they can afford to lower our gas prices. You do not see any republicans standing up to big oil. What is wrong with you people? I can't believe what I'm reading here. I'm undecided, I'm in the middle. Get with it people, here is a candidate who will stand up for us, who will change things for the better for transgendered people's and you are undecided. Oh my God, get with it. I would think you of all people would give your support to Barack Obama. The far right has highjacked our government and if you want a republican in office then we need to get moderates, not extremist's. in there. I'm sorry if I'm ranting and raving but this means more to me than you can imagine. I want to see a woman president in office but as Gloria Steinem so elequintly put it, the only thing palin shares with Hillary is a chromosome. Let's not forget that three supreme court justices are leaving their posts int the next term. Oh, I could go on and on but as you can see I have a poor writting style and can't express myself very well , but you get my drift. Thanks for letting me rant a little.

Abortion. Abortion. Okay, now you got me fired up on a very touchy issue. First of all, it's a women's body and she should have the right to choose. That's my view. We are already straining the planets resourses. Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but be realistic about what kind of world you're bringing babies into. My views differ from normal people and being a bad seed has kept me from ever wanting to bring children into this world. Also, I believe the soul only entes the body at birth, not while in the womb. This is what I believe, and have no proof of this but niether do you have proof that the soul enters the body while in the womb. :banghead: I'm just going to stop right here and now.I will not be discussing this matter any further and will not be baited into further discussion by any arguements from people who oppose. This is our right to have our opinion. you have your opinion and I have mine. End of discussion.

I think we need to be pragmatic when it comes to issues like abortion. The fact is that abortions WILL happen, regardless of whether they are legal or not. So, there are really two options:

1. Keep abortions illegal, forcing women to resort to dangerous self-induced or backstreet abortions.

2. Make abortions legal, providing safe and professional methods to carry them out.

You make a good point. Few remember the days when abortion was illegal before Roe Vs WAde. There were horror stories of women bleeding to death from coat hangers and other objects. Going back to those days is unthinkable.

Laura

Please remember that on most hot topics like this that the country is split 50/50 and ignites passions on both sides. The odds of changing anyones mind are not likely to happen. I believe we should discuss all issues in order to understand where people are coming from. Therefore all opinions, oppossing or not, are welcome. Just remember to respect the person here despite their views which 50% agree with. Certainly in an election all issues and opinions need to be on the table if we are to make informed decisions.

:)

Laura

Guest SamanthA
Palin: Iraq war 'a task that is from God'

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080903/ap_on_...xJU5DmktWKs0NUE

I found the Republican Vice Presidential Candidate, Sarah Palin's comments about the Iraqu War to be very disturbing. This sounds like very dangerous thinking to me. With John McCain's age, 72 this person could realistically become President soon. It is bad enough to lie to us about the WMD's that were never found in Iraqu but to go to war on a "task that is from God" is totally irresponsible and fanatical. Imagine this woman with her finger on a nuclear trigger ready to go to war for God.

What are your thoughts?

Laura

Saying that Iraq is a task from god is like saying that God sent AMERICA and AMERICA only to Iraq when there are many other religions in AMERICA and other countries that believe in the same religion that most americans believe in. So why didn't god send some other country to Iraq. I thought america had freedom of religion. I don't think I could vote for her because that is just wrong.

I think we need to remember that one, the vice president isnt the king of the world. With Palin as VP we all won't get banished to some island in the middle of no where. It takes many people for that to happen, senate, house, president, etc. On a similar note, most conservatives don't want us to be banished either. theres some oddballs like fred phelps but the normal conservative crowd isnt like that. I consider myself conservative and I don't want any banishment of LGBT people. or denial of any normal rights, no murders, beatings, stealings, rapes, etc.

gas comes from gas companies not the president's office. the president/VP only have a small share over that. McCain also wants to look into other forms of energy as almost all the conservatives do. maybe the liberals shout it a little louder. quick question, who has cheaper gas, conservative America or liberal europe? correct answer is America. Europe even has a lower demand but the taxes there are so high. Obama just wants to add more and more taxes.

all politicians make their speeches about the other candidates. they're in a competition, they have to show off that they're better. Obama fights for his points, so do McCain and Palin.

Guest CharlieRose
You make a good point. Few remember the days when abortion was illegal before Roe Vs WAde. There were horror stories of women bleeding to death from coat hangers and other objects. Going back to those days is unthinkable.

Laura

Has anyone here read the Cider House Rules? One of the characters is a doctor who performs safe abortions, which were illegal at the time because it's historical fiction. They go through his whole process of deciding to go into that arena... And... It's really horrible and disgusting, what happened to some poor, poor women. How desperate must you have to be to do that to yourself, really? (It's also a really good book besides those parts. I had to read a bunch of John Irving for a project and now I'm a huge fan. :D)

And, yeah, Palin is.. bleck. Firstly, I'm not going to vote (not that I can yet :P) for anyone who poses a risk to my personal rights as a transsexual; secondly, the Bush administration defied logic so many times, I'm not supporting anyone who thinks they did right.

In my opinion, people who would rather listen to the bible word for word than common sense should have no place in running a country.

I was pretty shocked to hear she supported shooting bears and wolves from planes =/ I hate eveything I've heard about her.

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 113 Guests (See full list)

• MaeBe
    • MaryEllen