• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What age do you dress?

Guest Sheri-xo

Guest Sheri-bi

I'm curious how others in this forum would describe the age that they dress. Do you dress your age? Do you dress to be a hot girl or something more motherly? Do you mix it up?

I'm not sure how I would answer the question. I'm 58 in years, but emotionally I'm not sure what my age is? I don't see myself as much different from who I was at 25, just a lot happier about it. Also, what I buy depends on price. Clothes targeting wormen in their 40's and 50's and 60's tend to be pricier. The better deals are for clothes for younger women.

I'm very happy with my age. I always have been. I always feel that I'm a bit more aware each year, so wanting to be younger seems like a step back. That's not to say that I wouldn't mind getting rid of some butt chins! :) But being happy with my age doesn't mean that I feel any social or psychological pressure to dress my age. I just want to look feminine--I'm not sure that age is relevant. What do you think?

• Admin

It is going to depend on where you go and who you will be with. If it is a CD support meeting that is dinner with other CD's and not really a public thing, do as you will. If it is an over 21 night club for TG's, sure, the "club wear" for b'low 30's will do for even someone your age. Just use good sense as to the type of attention you want to get there. You won't pass for below 30, but its an available style. For costume type clubs that include the 18 + crowd, go in costume, its allowed at your age.

On the other hand, if it will be a venue for non-trans public , then hitting on the age appropriate clothing is a better idea, but even there, it can be on the maturely sexy or worldly side if you are comfortable. Over 55 does NOT require FRUMPY. There are plenty of fun looks even at my age which is 5 up on you which is what I go for on parties. (Caveat -- I am TS and full time). I have a blue sequined over jacket from a mid priced womens store that goes with my above the knee tight skirt, or an ankle length skirt with a bit of looseness to it. The top I have on with it helps the look too. Nordstom is a bit expensive and frumpy for clothing in my tastes. Macy's has great tops, but I don't find much in the way of skirts or dresses, look for sales and they are good. J.C Penney has some of the cuter stuff in colors that I like, and does have more in the skirts and dresses line. Lane Bryant does have nice tops. For ordinary day wear Wal Mart Ladies wear is ordinary clothing for women from any age. There really is quite a list of places with good clothing. SO MANY STORES SO LITTLE TIME and $$$.

Guest Aly Kat

i dress like most college girls :) I feel weird in super-girl graphic tees..

Sometimes I like to dress up if I'm going somewhere nice... then I shoot for more "professional adult" sort of look

• Admin

It's funny, even when in my 20's and 30's, when I considered myself a cross dresser, I always dressed fairly conservatively and age appropriate. I just never had a desire for more exotic or fetishistic clothing. Maybe that should have given me some clues as to my true nature.

I still dress that way, now that I'm a transwoman in the world. To each their own. :)

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Hi Sheri,

I think I'm 100% age inappropriate. Have just returned from a company party in a sweater dress that's above-the-knees, boots, and bling to match. YEAH, it felt great!

But, where did I learn this lack of decorum? My GG wife! Her sisters, all younger than her, harp on her about dressing her age. We're both experiencing a rebirth of sorts, and, dang, not about to dress like a dowdy old women yet!

My feeling about dressing is that, if you can look and act the part, the numbers on the calendar just don't matter! Go enjoy life to the max!

All my love,

Megan

I haven't been able to finish many of my wardrobes yet. Of course that means I have to do much more shopping. ;) I like a lot of color, and love to experiment. Going out in public and looking the best you can is an art. Age appropriate, matching clothes, proper accessories, appropriate makeup, and hairstyle. They have to be appropriate for the occasion.

I love to mix it up. I can never own enough clothes and I still have a lot to learn, a lifetime's worth. :D

{{{Hugs}}}

Jenny

• Admin

One drawback to a lot of clothing -- I am looking at my laundry pile right now!! In a few minutes it becomes three piles, 6 washer and 6 dryer loads, oh well it is age appropriate to do my own!! Sigh.

Guest sonia shadows

Hi Sheri,

I have really only started CDing regularly later in life (45), when I had, more or less, come to terms with myself. I am also totally unable to be convincing, so this has a bearing on what I wear. I generally wear erotic clothing such as Babydolls, Basques and silk/satin lingerie as sexual stimulation has been my need to CD until very recently. When my wife accepted CDing (after 15+ years) I then moved towards something to wear around the house which looked like the type of clothes the employee in an office would wear (based generally on a 30 year old would wear), and I used them during the day at home while I was using a desktop or PC for extended periods. This felt nice and relaxing and 'right'. However, and very emotional it is at the moment, we have decided that parting is the only solution to things between us (not prompted by my CDing or the movement of my wife's feeling for another person) and even though we share the same bed we still cuddle to show we care but no longer have any sexual activity together, which I miss awfully. To compensate for this I get a couple of hours every few days and relieve my sex drive with the stereo typical clothing such as school uniform/cheerleader. Definitely not appropriate to my age!! but in my head it makes me feel sexy and I live out role play. So, it depends on my feelings and opportunities to wear: such as erotic stuff (hot vamp) in/on the bed, the role play stuff when I am in the sort of state I am in at the moment and more practical stuff if I can move around the house when all of my family are out. If I had the cash and space I would probably have a good selection of different age related types of clothing.

Guest Sheri-bi

Quite a range of responses to this topic. From age appropriate to occassion appropriate to "decorum challanged" to mood appropriate to sex appropriate. Of course, all right answers. The CD community is diverse!

Sonia, sorry to hear you are going through a tough time.

Guest laura g

i usually dress my age. I'm 19 and i can't resist the urge to wear all the sexy clothes that my friends wear! i dont go out in public though. the only thing i have done is gone and drove around.

Guest sonia shadows

Sheri Bi,

Thanks for your commiserations.(Neither sure this is the right word or how to spell it!)

I feel like my sexuality could go anywhere at the moment.

It is a very disconcerting time.

I am fighting the demons to keep up with my responsibilities to my family.

I now understand the attack that depression brings to your mind.

Still keeping them at bay without the help of the pills.

Sonia

Guest Hollie W

I am 41 but dress as maybe in my mid twenties. I guess some CD'ers who come out late want to dress younger to make up for the years they never could. I'm not ready to dress as a middle aged woman yet. I don't want to miss out on the "sexy" years lol.

• 3 weeks later...

my daily wear is simple as i wear scrubs mostly. underneath i wear a leotard and tights (color coordinated) my dresses and skirts for church are more consevative. my social attire mostly comes from the ladies department. i have found some things in the juniors department. last saturday night i met co-workers in a black turtleneck sweater, black plaid tight, an A-line mini skirt and black mary jane style shoes.

Loveya

SeeJay

• 2 months later...
Guest Caesar62

Never thought of the age thing, but when I think about it I would probably be dressing as if in my twenties or early thirties - I'm in my late 40s but my legs are in great shape and young looking...pity the rest of me isn't!!!

Guest CarolynM

Dress appropriate, that is one thing, but also dress in the way that you show your attributes better. I have seen some with fantastic legs and dress in short skirts. Some have tummy problems but cover the tummy to a better shape. So age should not be a problem but dress to show what you have that is good. GG do the same in many cases but even then some try to dress younger and make a mess of it. I hope my pics are appropriate for my age and assets.

Love

Cee xx

Guest thomasina uk

Usually, I've had a thing about wanting to look much older than I am. I think its got something to do with spending most of my time around older women. I went to an all boys school so the only regular female contact I had was with my teachers. Since most of my female relatives were older, it was older women's clothes that i got to try on for the first time.

I quickly developed an interest for the colours, materials and style that older women have. I would spend half my classes envisioning their attire for myself. No wonder I did quite modestly at school

T

I used to dress like my mom (and typical women ot the late-1950s to early 60's -- think Elizibeth Montgomery in Bewitched), though lately, you'd think I was a streetwalker!

Guest MeganBr

I'm 38 and started CDing nine months ago in April (my birthday present to myself.) I started with UDing and at the end of the summer i started wearing jeans. But only in my house. By Thanksgiving I had completely quit wearing men's underwear, pants and socks. I'm a down-to-earth person. I'm not big on the whole dressing up in a suit and tie or a very nice evening gown. Dressing up to me is: male- jeans, polo shirt and maybe casual dress shoes, female- jeans, gender-neutral shirts (more femine colors and patterns though,) breast forms, wig and flats. Like most women I do like pretty things and always have some little bling on. I do all my shopping in the misses and/or juniors stores. I have never felt or dressed my age. I have never looked my age. I have always looked younger than I actually do. I got pulled over when I was 19 'cause the cops thought I was too young to drive. I have always had a girlish figure up till a few years ago like most men I started getting fat in the belly. I don't have a big belly though just enough to me to much. We had a few warm days here where I live, so I would wear my little running shorts an cami top. With my wig on everyone thought I had a girl over. I'm working on getting my girly figure back. But all in all I don't dress my actual age but my do dress the age I look.

Guest rikkicd64

I haven't been able to finish many of my wardrobes yet. Of course that means I have to do much more shopping. ;) I like a lot of color, and love to experiment. Going out in public and looking the best you can is an art. Age appropriate, matching clothes, proper accessories, appropriate makeup, and hairstyle. They have to be appropriate for the occasion.

I love to mix it up. I can never own enough clothes and I still have a lot to learn, a lifetime's worth. :D

{{{Hugs}}}

Jenny

I,like you want to look the best I can,I'm 64 and I feel more comfortable dressing age appropriate,good post,thanks.Rikki
Guest rikkicd64

It is going to depend on where you go and who you will be with. If it is a CD support meeting that is dinner with other CD's and not really a public thing, do as you will. If it is an over 21 night club for TG's, sure, the "club wear" for b'low 30's will do for even someone your age. Just use good sense as to the type of attention you want to get there. You won't pass for below 30, but its an available style. For costume type clubs that include the 18 + crowd, go in costume, its allowed at your age.

On the other hand, if it will be a venue for non-trans public , then hitting on the age appropriate clothing is a better idea, but even there, it can be on the maturely sexy or worldly side if you are comfortable. Over 55 does NOT require FRUMPY. There are plenty of fun looks even at my age which is 5 up on you which is what I go for on parties. (Caveat -- I am TS and full time). I have a blue sequined over jacket from a mid priced womens store that goes with my above the knee tight skirt, or an ankle length skirt with a bit of looseness to it. The top I have on with it helps the look too. Nordstom is a bit expensive and frumpy for clothing in my tastes. Macy's has great tops, but I don't find much in the way of skirts or dresses, look for sales and they are good. J.C Penney has some of the cuter stuff in colors that I like, and does have more in the skirts and dresses line. Lane Bryant does have nice tops. For ordinary day wear Wal Mart Ladies wear is ordinary clothing for women from any age. There really is quite a list of places with good clothing. SO MANY STORES SO LITTLE TIME and $$$.

Very good advice,thank you,I also shop the local resale shops,nice clothes,great bargians.Rikki....
Guest Donna Jean

Age appropriate?

I live full time now at age 62......

When I first went full time I just HAD to relive my "Hippy" years as myself and wear peasant blouses and big, long skirts.....

I've kinda gotten past that and now dress as a hip, cool, 62 year old woman......

If ya can dig it.......

Dee Jay

Guest Cynthia Of Creation

dressing is according to culutre standards and own personell comfertness

so no.

Im the kind a person youll see in a costume during july.or march.

or beach get up in the movies, lol im joking beach stuff in movies way to cold

• Forum Moderator

In my head I'll always be a 38 year old guy and I wear what I like. Did have to eliminate the really soft stuff from wearing in public to eliminate confusing people but otherwise I pretty much default to jeans and a comfortable top or shirt. Prefer things without buttons actually but do wear shirts on occasion.

I also like rocker and goth stuff and browse through Hot Topic when I can. Always the oldest person in there but it's not my problem. :)

We hear the phrase "trying to recapture their lost youth" used to condemn how someone is dressed but you know it finally dawned on me that if anyone ever had reason to do that we do. And the problem with it belongs to the person making the judgment and not to me.

I please myself

Pretty much anyway. I do make sure no embarrassing bits are showing through my favorite jeans and change my socks at reasonable intervals :D

Johnny

• Forum Moderator

I also like rocker and goth stuff and browse through Hot Topic when I can. Always the oldest person in there but it's not my problem. :)

We hear the phrase "trying to recapture their lost youth"

I please myself

Johnny

I am 53 going on 14, so I please myself ! It's so much fun trying new things. I try and find my own style, and get new inspiratioins all the time.

Some times you just want to blend in, other times "make a statement".

It's odd most of the clothes I wanted to wear back in the late 60's and early 70's but could'nt (thanks Dad) are now available for women. So I buy Boho style tops and girl jeans, with deco belts. Long skirts are great too.

Cindy -