• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Diabetes and hrt

Guest DafneElise

Guest RandomDana

All, this may be in the wrong area. I apologize if so. My simple question is this....having just been diagnosed as a diabetic, how would that impact me if I were to begin HRT? Anyone here also diabetic, and already dealing with it and HRT? Thanks for any feedback.

Dana

• Admin

Good news, Dana, diabetes and HRT are not incompatible. I am Type II and insulin dependent. Although my HRT doctor started out cautiously, I am now on full doses of Spironolactone and Estradiol. Your doctor will decide how best to manage both.

The HRT meds have actually helped control my diabetes, as I now take significantly less insulin than before. The fact that Spiro is a diuretic is probably responsible for that.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Dana, i have been a type II diabetic since 2001, i noticed no change in my A1C levels since starting Hrt in 2008 and it has not affected my transition, my A1C is continually in the 5.x range, if surgery is in your future be aware that some surgeons will not operate on diabetic patients, i had several surgeons turn me down, Dr Mcginn did take the chance and operate and everything turned out fine.

Paula

• 4 weeks later...

I was diagnosed as a Type II(Then Type I... then Type 1.5...) in 2008, and I have to say it has been an uphill climb.

Not a day goes by without worrying "will I ever be able to transition?" or "am I putting myself to the grave if I start transitioning?" but I have heard some very encouraging success stories here, and am going to continue the fight.

Diabetes on its own is a ridiculously hard disease to control. I have to watch what I eat, which isn't a problem, except for the fact that being homeless and living in shelters, you don't really have much of a choice in what you eat. I did my best when I had the ability to cook all of my own meals. That way, I had complete control over what I ate.

Taking insulin shoots my sugar waaaaay down at times, and sometimes I've wondered if I was going to even wake up in the morning. Sometimes I feel as if I'm in a deep coma, and that I'm living some sort of dream world...

Either way, I can't live a lie. I know what giving up looks like, and it's ugly. I don't want it. I want to be who I feel like on the inside, no matter how difficult it will be.

It's the same with my Japanese and Chinese studies. At this point it feels so far away to any meaningful career(I want to be a translator and interpreter) and struggle reading even the most simple texts(comic books) but if I gave up, I really would never see the career I've been working so hard toward. Sometimes the flower looks its ugliest before it blooms.

Basically, I need to find a good endocrinologist no matter the case, for diabetes AND for HRT. I am planning on being as open as possible about my needs with him or her, as I don't want any complications to arise in my HRT, especially since I have endocrine issues from being diabetic.

I WILL NOT GIVE UP.

• Admin

Areckx, I do hope you find an endo soon. Brittle diabetes (the kind you describe, with big fluctuations in sugar levels) can be very dangerous. I, too, fear hypoglycemia, and I've experienced levels as low as 20 on a couple of occasions. They scared the hell out of me. Please take care of yourself, and be careful with your dosages.

Once you get things under control, your diabetes should not be an impediment to transition.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Thank you for your support! I'm glad I found this community. It's good just knowing that there are so many others who know exactly what I'm going through.

20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????

Guest Donna Jean

I'm type II and my girlfriend is Type I and insulin dependent.....

We're both on full dose HRT.....

And I don't know if it's a result of HRT, but, I'm practically off my Diabetes meds now...my A1C is 5.7

Dee Jay

Guest LottieZero

I'm type 1 diabetic, and I'm also on a full dose of HRT (estradiol valerate / cyproterone), and I haven't had any extra trouble with blood sugar levels since starting 10 months ago... which I'm thankful for! :)

(I'm guessing you use a different unit for measuring blood sugar in the US, though? 20 on my meter would be high and would merit a ketone check, whereas about 3-4 would be low!)

must be, because mine does mg/dl so normal is 95-120, high is 200+ and low is anything below 90, where anything below 50 is extremely dangerous, below 30 can bring you into a coma.

• Admin

Type II, not insulin dependant at the time, but may need to use it during SRS post op healing since my A1c is a bit high, but with no overt symptoms of any damage going on. Only consideration by my endo is that my E is kept low to help me control my weight, which is on the way down. Estrogen will affect the way and rate you burn off minimum daily calories. Reduceing diet for me is the female minimum daily calorie level. My medications do make it a little rough to balance the day out and I do hit threshold hypoglycemic levels on occasion, but thats the day I can eat dessert!! Rough way to go about it, but its a life.