• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

New Study Says 93% of Catholics in U.S. Support TG Rights

Carolyn Marie

Guest John Chiv

Shilo,

Respectfully, I would have to say that I do believe the writer and I am Catholic.

Carolyn,

The Vatican does listen to laity, even if it takes time. Thank you for posting this positive article. :)

John

Now for some general comments on the article itself. This is a hot button issue and I don't want to debate anyone in a post because this is a dialogue better had in person. If there is any change, it should come first and simultaneously from secular society and all religions. Will that happen?

Perhaps someday it will be the Catholic hierarchy and laity that will show people what it means to "love thy neighbor" " and other religions and secular society will follow.

The writer may not have a scientific poll or basis but she is expressing how laity treat people. Often what is portrayed in the media is biased and there is deep bigotry specifically against the Catholic Church. I had to stop myself from reading the comments which illustrate how real progress is marred by agendas and reactions. There are many other "Christian" sects and other religions that are harsher than the Catholic Church.

All religions, including Christians and Catholics, have misguided people and so does secular society and yes some people use scripture to discriminate. Those people are not the Catholic Church. But there are also many loving and accepting people. And similarly, there are those in the LGBT community that are all about anything goes and only lust and there are those for whom this goes deeper.

Marriage and family are very important to me. I see many in the LGBT community live those values and commitment. For it to become law, I feel those in the community that see this as a political game and agenda need to stop and allow us to get equality in love and commitment because that is something we deserve just as much as anyone else.

Hmmm. I was weighing up whether to say anything.

I was raised in the Catholic Church. I'm what is called "lapsed" which means I have chosen to stay away from attending Mass for a long time, decades, for reasons that are personal and not relevant to the discussion.

I don't know about 93% or 83% or any other precise number. But my personal experience with the Catholic laity is they are pretty easy going and accepting when it comes to "social" issues like TG and homosexuality and (shock) birth control, and sex outside of marriage. Despite what the official Vatican line might be. Maybe people outside the Catholic Church consider that to be hypoctricial. I just think its common sense and "love thy neighbor" coming out despite the rules.

Anyway, I never heard much hate speech or meanness from Catholic laity or clergy towards anyone in the LBGT "umbrella" in my experience. Less than one hears in the community in general. That's been my personal experience, so I'm kind of with John on this one. Maybe Shilo's experience has been different.

Peace, love,

Kay

xx

Guest Robin Winter

Shilo,

Respectfully, I would have to say that I do believe the writer and I am Catholic.

as a political game and agenda need to stop and allow us to get equality in love and commitment because that is something we deserve just as much as anyone else.

I wasn't referring only to the numbers relating to Catholics, John, but I have to admit that I do find those difficult to believe...I was referring to the original article that was referenced in the article Carolyn linked to. It states that "approximately three-quarters of Americans—from across the political and religious spectrum—believe that Congress should pass employment nondiscrimination laws to protect transgender people". I wholeheartedly believe that this "statistic" especially is a crock of you-know-what. If that were the case, and that many people had a positive view of trans-people, our lives wouldn't be so difficult, and the majority of us wouldn't be terrified to be who we are inside.

My father is a "good Catholic man" and that is his professed excuse for refusing to except me. A Catholic person could say he's a poor Catholic for not accepting me, on the other hand he'd probably make the case that they are a poor Catholic for being accepting.

One can interpret any Holy Text to support or reject LGBT rights, or anything else for that matter. Many Atheists I know have interpreted the Bible to prove without a doubt the existence of a Flying Spaghetti Monster. But what one can't deny is the history of wholesale rejection from the church of the LGBT community. This leaves one with the option of rejecting the church outright, or staying and trying to morph the views and interpretations of the Holy texts to support one's own views on LGBT issues, and everything else for that matter.

I for one chose to reject the notion of organized religion for this reason. It seems everyone in it, regardless of denomination, has some issues that, historically, don't meld with the teachings, and as such try to change those teachings, or else break off into some whole new denomination. At some point the threshold is crossed into just making stuff up as they go along.

When it all boils down to it, I don't know what happens after you die and I really don't care. I choose to care about what happens while I live, and i refuse to let what time I have alive be confined by the rules and boundaries of religion. I simply have no need of it. Why should I waste time bending stories and parables from thousands of years ago to make me feel like I'm not going to hell. It's so much easier to just say, "there is no hell", and requires the same amount of hard evidence to support the claim.

I'm not going to harp on anybody for their beliefs. All i ask of them is to question this, do they enrich your life? If so, so be it! If not, if they make your feel fear, shame, guilt, then you are the ones I feel for. This is your life...don't let anyone tell you how to live it.

Guest John Chiv

Kay, I agree with your post.

Shilo and Kelise, both of you have valid feelings and opinions.

We have to share in the responsibility of what a positive view is of us. In the media driven propaganda and the LGBT activist attitude that promotes this victim mentality, it's always them that is the problem.

When people reject someone, they may use religion or any other excuse. There can and often are other issues.

I just feel that Catholics and Christians have borne the brunt of bashing in the LGBT community for too long. I have had atheists and even LGBT folks discriminate against me.

If the writer asked people and they did not fear rejection or being judged, 93% is a plausible number.

Also, being in the LGBT umbrella hasn't worked for the trans community. There was a time when the numbers of people that were out were a few; now people need to understand there is a difference between gender identity and sexual orientation and I for one, want to see the LGB give the transsexuals credit for the activism and history my trans brothers and sisters bravely fought for.

In my life, finding common ground and having someone know me as a whole human being has helped.

Discrimination is wrong, and it does not matter who does it, Catholic or atheist. We should look at situations individually and with an open mind and not repeat the wrong that may or may have been done by a few folks and some people in any institution. That is healing and moving forward.

John

Guest Robin Winter

I should clarify a bit. I do agree and am pleased to see that acceptance is growing. That serious consideration of transgender people in the media in no longer taboo is proof enough of that. I simply disagree with the numbers. It's coming, but we're not there yet.