• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carolyn Marie

What's Your Favorite Western?

Guest Irielle

I love westerns and my favorite of all time is 'Once Upon a Time in the West'. It's epic and the mythology is unsurpassed. Henry Fonda is the best western villain you'll ever see. The second spot in my list goes to almost anything else. I love all the Clint Eastwood films and especially 'Unforgiven'. 'Open Range' has a spectacular shootout at the end (don't they all, lol). I recently watched 'Silverado' again after a long time and love it. 'The Seven Samurai', although Japanese, is truly a western (and remade in the US as 'The Magnificent Seven'.) Okay, I'll stop now :D

Guest Megan F

1. The good, the bad and the ugly

2. Once upon a time in the west

If you haven't seen once upon a time in the west and like westerns you need to!

Guest Emilly

I liked young guns, and the quik and the dead, but my favorite was tombstone.

Guest Kate Lyn

I like alot of the wayne westerns as me ol'man got me to watch them as a kid, but i like lacey said, any one with CLint eastwood in i liked :D

Favorites Unforgiven, Fistful of dollars, for a few dollars more, and Young guns and young guns 2 ;p

Guest Eloise

Any of the Clint Eastwood/Sergio Leone films....I dont watch any others.

Guest Jaques

when i was a kid, i used to like the Lone Ranger on TV and the kids saturday matinee............hi ho Silver.......

Flint

There are so many westerns I still have yet to see, that I wouldn't like to say one is my ultimate favourite. John Wayne is one of my fave actors.

I've yet to see the remake of 'true grit' but I loved the original and also read the book by Charles Portis.

Shane is an okay film, though I much preferred the book by Jack Schaefer (sp?)

Lonesome Dove! Is one of my all time fave books along with Shane. Although I've regrettably never actually seen the mini series. Keep meaning to get it on DVD. But just so many other films I keep meaning to buy also!

Recently read Hondo. Hope to also watch that on film too, John Wayne is in it and it has a dog in it, so obviously I don't see how it can go far wrong. Plus the dog in that film is the son of Lassie.

3:10 to yuma is a fave of mine, but yet again I have not seen the remake! I've heard some say it's better than the original. Though I opt out of hype, hype tends to ruin films.

The assassination of Jesse James by the coward robert ford is another good one.

Broken Trail which i think was just a tv thing with two episodes both lasting about an hour or so.

Jeremiah Johnson is another fave.

The cowboys

Last of the dogmen.

Carolyn Marie

Lonesome Dove! Is one of my all time fave books along with Shane. Although I've regrettably never actually seen the mini series. Keep meaning to get it on DVD. But just so many other films I keep meaning to buy also!

OMG, Matt, you have to see this miniseries. It follows the book really closely, and the actors really are extraordinary. One of the best westerns ever made, IMHO.

HUGS

Carolyn

Guest Luna_Luv2942

For me it would be about any film with Clint Eastwood, and the two films "They Call Me Trinity" and "Trinity is Still My Name" (I love spaghetti westerns :D)

Guest Shari

What was the name of that Jane Fonda western where Lee Marvin played the good guy (a very drunk hired gun) and the bad guy (dressed in black with a silver eyepatch)? They were brothers. That movie was a hoot.

I also liked the one with Doris Day, who played a sheep rancher in the middle of beef country, but I cannot remember the name of that one either.

I loved aliens and cowboys, a lot, but I honestly don't know why.

Yee Haw! Git along little dogies!

Shari

MaryEllen

What was the name of that Jane Fonda western where Lee Marvin played the good guy (a very drunk hired gun) and the bad guy (dressed in black with a silver eyepatch)? They were brothers. That movie was a hoot.

I also liked the one with Doris Day, who played a sheep rancher in the middle of beef country, but I cannot remember the name of that one either.

I loved aliens and cowboys, a lot, but I honestly don't know why.

Yee Haw! Git along little dogies!

Shari

It might have been "Dirty Dingus McGee"

Guest Shari

It started to bug me so I googled them:

The Jane Fonda movie was "Cat Ballou" and the Doris Day movie was "The Ballad of Josie".

Shari

Guest 101remington7

'The Man of the West' is one of my favourite. Also, any episode of the Wild WIld West (Love that show!)

Carolyn Marie

'The Man of the West' is one of my favourite. Also, any episode of the Wild WIld West (Love that show!)

Oh, my, yes. The show was great fun, and if any man could be considered gorgeous, Robert Conrad would be him. *Swoon*

Carolyn Marie

Guest ~DeeDee~

All the Clint Eastwood westerns, (i still feel bad for the dog in Outlaw JW), Dances with Wolves, and Young Guns.

Guest LauraAlice

I have to go with The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Starring Clint Eastwood

Sergio Leone has to be one of my favorite directors. No shocker that one of my favorite modern directors is Quinton Tarantino.

Cyndee

Johnny Guitar - Joan Crawford is simply awesome, a strong assertive woman that can get it done, yet beautiful and feminine, love the scene with her in her slip, yowsers.....

C -

Guest Lani

Cowboys and Aliens ! lol

The remake of True Grit was really good.

My all time favorite though are the Terrence Hill movies, especially "My name is Nobody".

I got many favorites but if I had to choose just one then it would be the original "True Grit"...

Guest Sarah1967

Blazing Saddles It's STUPID but funny ...

Guest Gizzemoto

Blazing Saddles (1974)

Has to be one of the funniest, especially the beans scene

I also love most of the spaghetti westerns with Clint Eastwood

Guest otter-girl

A Fistful of Dynamite - starring James Coburn and Rod Steiger.

Guest Chrysee

McCabe & Mrs. Miller.

Of this film critic Roger Ebert wrote:

Robert Altman has made a perfect movie.

I mean, Julie Christie, Keith Carradine needing new socks, Warren Beatty needing to bathe, Shelley Duvall earning her keep, gun fights in the bleak days of a Pacific Northwest winter, a harem of hot tubbing soiled doves, and an amazing soundtrack by Leonard Cohen? Gimme a break!

I was in college and so wanted someone with tonsorial talent to style my hair like Julie Christie's. It was winter in Vermont and I imagined snow falling in my 'beautiful hair' just like in hers in the film.

Never happened, though, as David Mamet made me get it cut short for a part in some stupid play that he'd written.

The Magnificent Seven.

What needs be said here?

The Long Riders

Anyone even heard of this one?

This film about the James/Younger gang featured something like four (three?) sets of brothers playing sets of brothers. The Carradines are here, making Keith the only one to appear in two of my selections. Now throw in HBO's Deadwood and he'd have the hat trick!

(And alright, every spaghetti western ever made. How about this, though, for all of you Clint Eastwood fans: does the name Rowdy Yates ring a bell?)

Carolyn Marie

I don't recall seeing your first pick, Chrysee, but I sure like your other two. Yup, I am (unfortunately) old enough to have watched the original episodes of Rawhide. Me and my brother used to sing along with the theme song, and can still sing it when we're in the mood. That last note is a doozy. LOL!

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Chrysee

I don't recall seeing your first pick, Chrysee, but I sure like your other two. Yup, I am (unfortunately) old enough to have watched the original episodes of Rawhide. Me and my brother used to sing along with the theme song, and can still sing it when we're in the mood. That last note is a doozy. LOL!

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Oh Sweetie!

If you have never seen McCabe & Mrs. Miller, you so owe it to yourself. It is magnificently melancholy with ambiance piling up in drifts! And Julie Christie is to die for. Come to think of it, I want so to believe that I was that semi-stately, opium smoking harlot in a past life!

Guest barton

Blazing Saddles, El Dorado (with John Wayne), and Tombstone are my top three westerns.