• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Do androgynous people crossdress?

Guest Lady Dana

Guest Lady Dana

Like umm how do they feel about their girl side? Like I think I'm one but sometimes I really want to be a girl but then at times I really don't feel like a girl and ya I have no choice but to be a boy... I do not feel im in the wrong body but I really want to live as a girl but not that desperately (Just a little) Sooo a little help.... :S

Guest Jo-I-Dunno

Everyone's a unique individual. There are no rules to these labels. I personally don't dress female ever.

The thing about female clothing is a lot of it is distinctly female in our society. Men just don't wear dresses. At the same time, masculine clothing is less gendered; a lot of women dress masculine who don't even know or care about transgender issues. And since androgyny is generally about not being specifically male or female, I'd say masculine clothing is more likely the preference. (I love how general and inexact those sentences were. Sorry they came out so clumsy.)

I know how you feel, only kinda wanting to do something that changes your life. That's why I'm taking a middle of the road approach. I'm on hormones but I'm not transitioning so far. I'm definitely happier being androgynous than being a man, and if I want to be a woman one day then I'm that much closer than I would have been otherwise. Bottom line: you don't necessarily have to pick. You can explore androgyny. You can try being a girl on a trial-only basis with no commitment. You can switch back and forth. Whatever!

Everyone's a unique individual. There are no rules

Bottom line: you don't necessarily have to pick. You can explore androgyny. You can try being a girl on a trial-only basis with no commitment. You can switch back and forth. Whatever!

^_^ This. ^_^

My personal answer is no, I don't because there's no such thing as cross dressing for me. Clothes are clothes and they're for everyone. Yes, there are imposed standards (men and skirts, :thumbdown: ), but I don't accept them. If I wear a skirt I am not crossdressing; I'm wearing a skirt.

For what you described, listen to Jo, I thinx e got it right. ;) When you feel like a girl, act on it, and when you don't. . . well, you know. Do what feels right by you.

As a female bodied androgynous male.. (thats getting to be a mouthful! XD ) I often feel like wearing clothing that is 'correct for my sex' is cross-dressing as it pulls me far to deeply into the female binary in societal view and so all hopes of being perceived as anything other than female vanishes. Wearing make-up leads to me coming home at the end of the night, looking in the mirror and going "holy love it's eddie izzard." Which, well in his younger years was a sexy beast I don't often want to be taken as a transvestite ^.^

and now I forgot where I was going with this.....

Guest runner2guy

I'm with Micha, two posts back. I dont cross-dress. I just dress, except when I'm nude. Of course my various clothes are mostly conventionally assigned to one or other sex, but since I'm built to be in between anyway, it would be hard to say whether I was cross-dressed whatever I was wearing. The clothes for two sports of mine, cycling and triathlon are completely unisex anyway. At work (working very hard at the moment, on Christmas Eve in a pub) I'm on the girl side, but there are times when I have to be on the man side. Not many,I'm glad to say.

Guest Chrysee

I sometimes 'get my girlie on', as I call it. Over time, however, I have strived to put together a wardrobe that, for me, truly reflects androgyny.

I received an early Christmas gift from my partner, a cropped tux jacket and boot cut (womans) slacks. Now, I shall begin to accessorize, and being a steampunk it is going to be amazing (and a bit expensive.)

Will I look male or female? I'll leave other's to scratch their heads over that. I will hopefully both look and feel like me.'

I haven't posted in sometime and have been isolating from everyone/thing. Sorry.

Seasons Greetings to you all!

Chrysalis Sartorious

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chrysee

I sometimes 'get my girlie on', as I call it. Over time, however, I have strived to put together a wardrobe that, for me, truly reflects androgyny.

I received an early Christmas gift from my partner, a cropped tux jacket and boot cut (womans) slacks. Now, I shall begin to accessorize, and being a steampunk it is going to be amazing (and a bit expensive.)

Will I look male or female? I'll leave other's to scratch their heads over that. I will hopefully both look and feel like me.'

I haven't posted in sometime and have been isolating from everyone/thing. Sorry.

Seasons Greetings to you all!

Chrysalis Sartorious

How about make-up?

By the way, I love your name. It sounds like a Joni Mitchell song.

Guest Juniper Blue

Thank you Chrysee ... ;) I like the name Juniper Blue as well but there is a side of me that could be called JB.

Yes, when I have worn make-up .... (when performing on stage or for photo shoots for friends who are doing college art projects and need an androgynous model who can pass in either direction.) I actually make a pretty woman but I look mean as a guy with facial hair. One friend did a shoot where I looked radically different as I was depicting extreme binary stereotypes. As a female, I looked fun loving part girl and as a male, I looked like a thug. My partner couldn't stop staring at me when I was in "costume" ... (both directions) because I looked so different. My personality is a blend of the two and I look like a "strong woman" or a "sensitive man" in my daily life. I wish I had a copy of those pics!!

I may do a future shoot as a very feminine woman and we will have me is low cut blouses etc. showing off cleavage that is now GONE! ( My double mastectomy was done Dec. 19th 2011) The project is a spoof on the objectification of women's breasts. I will try to post the pics if we end up doing the project.

JB

Guest Chrysee

Oh ... I'm embarrassed :blink: ... I read that note wrong Chrysee. :doh1: I guess it's getting LATE. (It's passed midnight here.)

Well color me stupid, but I'm not sure what you mean.

A double mastectomy?!! Dear Goddess!

Okay, so maybe you're not a Joni Mitchell song. Now where's Neal Young when you need him ?

I so hope that you do the shoot and post pics. I am a digital artist and specialize in illustrations, but love portrait painting (something I'm still striving to excel at!)

I may eventually post some work, we'll see. But perhaps I'd find your shoot inspirational. Heck, ya just never know when the Muse is gonna come a-callin'.

Later,

Chrysee Sartorious

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rikkicd64

As for myself,being a new member and hoping I don't offend anyone,I go out crossdressed very often and have done so for over a year.

It has been very positive for me,have made some new aquaintences,even been told I look better as a woman than a man.I love the

way femme clothing fits and feels to me.I like being told"hun,you look good",I may look like a freak,but I'm happy with myself.

Rikki.....

After thinking for three seconds on what Rikki has written, I have decided to abridge my definition of cross-dressing when it comes to androgyne.. If you're not dressing in a manner in which makes you comfortable and happy with yourself then you are crossdressing!

-says the one who runs around with fairy wings, tails, cat ears, and the like for no reason but personal enjoyment-

I highly feel if I didn't dress in this manner, of waist coats, ears, army style jackets, scarves and top hats... I would be dressing as someone who isn't me and would there fore be cross dressing.

After thinking for three seconds on what Rikki has written, I have decided to abridge my definition of cross-dressing when it comes to androgyne.. If you're not dressing in a manner in which makes you comfortable and happy with yourself then you are crossdressing!

-says the one who runs around with fairy wings, tails, cat ears, and the like for no reason but personal enjoyment-

I highly feel if I didn't dress in this manner, of waist coats, ears, army style jackets, scarves and top hats... I would be dressing as someone who isn't me and would there fore be cross dressing.

Hells Yes! :lol:

Your style evokes images of Alice in Wonderland, a very classy fantasy type look. ^_^

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Chrysee

Not sure if this suits the topic, but here goes.

I read a story written back at the turn of the 19th/20th Centuries by a guy who enjoyed hanging around outside of the theatres on Broadway (the Broadway) and watching the theatre people trickle out and home. One night, while sipping coffee outside of a restaurant, he watched a 'drag queen' approach who had just finished her show for the night. Well, two cab drivers standing outside of their rides saw her and began laughing and making insulting comments. Unable to stand it, she knocked the tar out of the both of them, leaving them stretched out on the sidewalk. Inside the restaurant she took a seat, looked down at herself, and began to cry:

"Look what they did to my dress!"

Perhaps not the cheeriest of stories, but I'm just a couple of hours away from undergoing an extremely minor procedure and am hurting and just a little scared.

So, with that I'll leave you with this:

"GRRRRRRRR!"

With Love,

Scared Surgical Cissy

Your style evokes images of Alice in Wonderland, a very classy fantasy type look. ^_^

:) I'm working on a Purple and rasberry victorian jacket inspired by the Cheshire cat :)

Guest Chrysee

:) I'm working on a Purple and rasberry victorian jacket inspired by the Cheshire cat :)

Just visited your web page. Love the flavor of your work and see that elvish fare appears to be the predominate theme. I wish your pictures had titles so that I could refer to them. However, one picture (I believe under 'Value Rendering, shows a young person on their back in water and from the waist down sinking. As might be expected, their reflection does not match.

Right on! I love the piece. It is one that I could look at and each time see something or feel something new. Perhaps on it's completion--or is it already finished? My eyesight sucks with work that small--perhaps you'd consider selling me a copy?

Have you ever checked out the Imagine FX web sight? It is devoted to sci fi and fantasy artists. I belong and subscribe to the mag as well. It is a priceless resource and worth, if nothing more, a visit.

And the English teacher in me just has to say that it's spelled r-a-s-p-b-e-r-r-y.

Sorry to be so picky. It's a curse.

With love,

Chrysalis

Guest NullCoding

Since I don't identify as expressing a particular gender, I don't understand the concept of "cross-dressing" unless it refers specifically to the body type for which clothing was made. That is to say I wear "women's" pants because they look better on me - more curvy - not because I want to look like a woman.

Generally, I wear whatever I want (or whatever is clean). Most of my clothing is fairly basic and boring stuff - t-shirts and jeans mostly - but the baggiest jeans I own are women's size 8. I wear tight clothing because it's typically not what people with my biological body wear, and when it comes down to it, I like bucking societal norms and making people look/think twice. XD

My partner, however, also identifies as androgynous and goes all-out (for example, when we go out clubbing) - skirts and tights are zis favourite, and ze really pulls it off! So what if clothing might not be designed for the kind of body a certain person happens to have. The whole point of androgyny, as we see it, is to dress however and come across as whatever we want. Ultimately, it's not important how people judge the clothing one wears.

Guest rikkicd64

Since I don't identify as expressing a particular gender, I don't understand the concept of "cross-dressing" unless it refers specifically to the body type for which clothing was made. That is to say I wear "women's" pants because they look better on me - more curvy - not because I want to look like a woman.

Generally, I wear whatever I want (or whatever is clean). Most of my clothing is fairly basic and boring stuff - t-shirts and jeans mostly - but the baggiest jeans I own are women's size 8. I wear tight clothing because it's typically not what people with my biological body wear, and when it comes down to it, I like bucking societal norms and making people look/think twice. XD

My partner, however, also identifies as androgynous and goes all-out (for example, when we go out clubbing) - skirts and tights are zis favourite, and ze really pulls it off! So what if clothing might not be designed for the kind of body a certain person happens to have. The whole point of androgyny, as we see it, is to dress however and come across as whatever we want. Ultimately, it's not important how people judge the clothing one wears.

Very well said,thanks. Rikki....
Guest Chrysee

Another one stole away my heart. :lol:

Care to explain?

With Love,

Cissy

Som'un else postin my feelings, makes me feel all warm and fuzzely.

And I thought that I was the only one. You cad, toying with my feelings.

(Break out violin music and kleenex!)