• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

looking for a trans friendly church in our area...

Guest eliza.d

Guest eliza.d

hi everyone, no doubt as i expected, i am not welcome at our church. no problem.

does anyone know of a church in our area, chester,sc that embraces tg's? not in attempt to change us, but to allow us to attend and worship?. its short notice, but i would desperately like to attend tonight for midnight mass...candlelight celebration. at least without being asked to leave.

thanks,

Eliza D

Guest Elizabeth K

This is all I can find

South Carolina

UU Fellowship of Clemson, South Carolina

UU Fellowship of Columbia, South Carolina

Greenville UU Fellowship, Greenville, South Carolina

Uniterian Universalists are 100% supportive

Lizzie

Guest eliza.d

dunno much about unitarian univefsalists. their denom title sounds encouraging. ill have to do some research.

im going full time, now? asap. still gotta get the makeup basics down though. its alotta work being the woman that i am, but thats half the fun of it...

merry christmas, Eliza D

Guest Donna Jean

I go to a Unitarian Universalists church and I LOVE it!

Very accepting of all lifestyles, religions and anything else you can think of.....

I'm not religious in the classic sense....I have my own ideas (I'm Pagan).....

But this church welcomes me as Pagan and Trans....

Donna Jean

• Admin

This is a bit late to help you today, but the Episcopal Churches are accepting of us. My own parish has welcomed me openly, and tonight I took part in our Christ Mass celebration. Here is a link to the Diocese Of S Carolina's home page, I do not see your town name, but there will be a church in this list close to you.

http://www.dioceseofsc.org/

If you contact the Diocese itself, it can probably tell you if there are parishes that are certified as openly welcoming by Integrity, which is a GLBT organization in the church that is very active. In fact, here is their web site>

http://www.integrityusa.org/

Edited by VickySGV
Instead of second post
Guest eliza.d

thanks donna jean, and vicky. my wife has been to a unitarian church when she lived in hawaii. we looked at the closest one to

us online last nite and i think it would be great to go. we missed the christmas celebration there last nite, and sadly they have no service today.

i will look into the episcopal denom in our area and see what i can find out.

episcopal, may be more like what i am used to but i am excited about the uu faith it seems to echo the same belief ive always had, but could not define. that no human that lives a righteous/ kind life is outside gods love and salvation. too much condemnation from my two spiritual backgrounds of the southern baptists and catholics. dads fam is s baptist, moms fam is catholic. my stepdad and his fam are jewish but do not practice other than passover, hannukah, etc. theyve always had a christmas tree too. ive know them since i was seven, and love them all very much except for my stepdad...hes a major @ss...

merry christmas,

love and hugs to all,

Eliza D

Guest OutOfSorts180

Hi Eliza:

I'd just like to say that it is very encouraging to see that even with all of the non-acceptance by your family/friends and your church that you haven't given up on God --- that in fact you're actively seeking after him as your true self. I know that under the other topic, you know that God doesn't make mistakes and this to me is an example of your faith in him that he has a plan for you.

I know that when I come out to my wife, I may end up struggling like you in this regard. It's easy right now for me to both feel like I have faith and to give advice/encouragement as right now I'm "safe" with my secret. I have yet to be truly tested. I hope that I'll be able to be as strong as you are!

Thanks for sharing here.

Guest eliza.d

thanks for your support. it took me 33 years to be strong enough to come out. and it was my wife of twelve years that i came out to. that was about 3 months ago. i am now beginning to become full time, which is a great joy. in truth my wife is my most supportive ally, but she struggles with this daily. i watched a program she dvr'd for me on anderson cooper about transgender children.

how fortunate they are to have supportive parents. or at least supportive enough to care about their childs well being. i never had that in my bio fam. but at 33, im finally beginning to feel normal and beautiful.....better late than never. right?

my faith in the lord gave me the strength to embrace who iam, who he made me. god makes no mistakes, truthfully we cannot deny the truth...only ignore it. by ignoring who i am, i nearly lost my life.

now, no matter who in my bio fam is ignorant of my situation, it is by their choice alone. i have told everyone. i live now only in truth, and the truth of the lord has delivered me from the hell i was trapped in.

i still have far to go physically...to reclaim my body, but mentally i am already there.

my strength comes from the lord. he is my champion and savior!

bless you and good luck with your secret. dont let it destroy you before you can become yourself. there is hope.

we are here for you,

Eliza D

Guest John Chiv

Eliza,

John 112-13

Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

This was part of the reading today at mass. I have had a different experience at my parish but I know it may not be the same for someone else and other Catholic Churches. All I ask is that you let God lead you to the right church. You are a woman of faith and wherever you need to be that denomination will welcome you.

Most of all, He is every where, present every where.

God Bless.

John

Guest eliza.d

absolutely, all things happen according to gods will.

that is an excellent passage. i know the scripture defends us as much as those who would seek to use it to condemn us.

in bending the will and word of the lord, the condemn us not, only themselves.

bless you brother,

Eliza

• Forum Moderator

Just for future reference since it is late now, but the Methodist Church officially accepts all people. And are trans friendly enough to have trans ministers. Even at least one transition while leading a congregation. In this very conservative area they told me they are struggling to adjust and understand but they love me and want me there. In exactly those words. I appreciate the honesty that it is a struggle-I can understand and respect that-and the simple beauty behind the message that I am loved and wanted is beyond price to me.

Johnny

Guest eliza.d

thanks johnny, it is very refreshing to know that some of the christian denominations, such as methodist and episcopal, are accepting of us. i think the day the baptists, southern baps especially, welcome us hell will have frozen over. ok, i retract that statement, just reeling over my southern baps bio fam essentially killing me with their words and persecuting me, i wouldnt have said that. sorry im not perfect, just living in truth for the first time. its like taking a shelby cobra or a dodge challenger with a 440 6pack out for the first time. with freedom and impowerment, it is imperative to practice restraint.

just great to be alive and free!

god be praised!

love you guys!

Eliza D

Guest John Chiv

Eliza,

This is not directed at you but to many that try and make church political. For me, I go to church and that is my spiritual home. I don't feel the need to push my being transsexual. I cannot hide my physical changes and transition and when I speak to people it is with respect for them and their beliefs.

Those of us that have strong faith change people with that faith, not everyone, and it may not be easy. For me being Catholic is the only path and this entire weekend that is what I was most grateful for. Your spirit and joy is so wonderful that any church you go to will be blessed to have you.

John

Guest eliza.d

thank you john, i know ive been a bit emotional lately, with good reason of course.

ultimately, wherever we find our spiritual home, for each of is it is individual, nonetheless a beautiful thing.

i certainly dont push being tg, bit here in the bible belt, i have to find a spirirtual home that welcomes me as i do not want to detract from the others spiritual experience. it is not my church only, but theirs as well, and i very much respect that.

kinda hard being a mtf tg living in sc, or the south at all. eventhough im a southerner, it would perhaps be easier in cali, hawaii, nyc, or florida. but this is where i am. this is where my home is now. just dont want to disrespect others. certainly dont want attention, extra attention. just want to blend in. as much as is realistically possible.

i appreciate the truth very much, many thanks brother,

Eliza D

Guest John Chiv

Eliza,

Like I said my comments above were not directed at you. Am hoping though others that read this post and if they are engaging in that kind behavior, look at their own contribution.

It is tough in the bible belt and I admire you so much for being so open. You are a very strong woman. I hope you find that spiritual home soon. And I commend you and your wife for the love you share.

It can be easier in the larger cities or places like California or New York but depends on where you are. I live in a small rural town in Northern California.

You be as emotional as you want and lean on support when you need it. That's what brothers do :)

John

Guest eliza.d

thanks john, it is the truth that i find here, the truth that my brothers like you and sisters provide that gives me solace in a world of misunderstanding. thanks for saying im a strong woman. at times i am weak too. but i find strength in m family of incredible, beautiful people here.

long live freedom. long live love. and long live cali, and the west coast.

and long live their wonderful wineries! Eliza loves chardonnay!

woohooo!

Eliza D

Guest Kael147

Hi,

I attend a UU congregation. It has helped my spiritual journey and I am very comfortable there. I wish you all the best on your journey. I was raised Catholic, but prefer the principles and UU fellowship.

Best,

Kael

Guest eliza.d

yes, im excited and looking forward to attending the nearby uu church.

i think the uu echoes my beliefs that no human, no matter what faith is not outside gods love and salvation.

just like knowing all my life i was a trans, but not knowing what to call myself or what trans was early in my life, the uu solidifies my core spiritual beliefs and i now know that there is a church that supports these beliefs.

with all of your love and support here, i have not only discovered what i am, but what my spiritual path is aswell. i have always known who i am. never had the courage to face it and possibly lose my whole biofam. now that my path is clear, and i know how to follow that path, i am on my way...one day at a time.

bless you all,

Eliza D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest eliza.d

thanks everyone.

im a confirmed catholic and have recently realized the catholic church accepts me.

john very good post about us being children of god.

i spoke to the priest at my local catholic church and he welcomed me emphatically.

i went to mass last sunday for the first time as myself. i live in a small backwoods town and believe it or not, i didnt get the first " look" from any of the parishioners there. i got my crucifix necklace out afterwards, and it will never leave my neck again.

despite being catholic, i have always found god in every church ive gone into...because i brought him in with me.

the lord never deserts his children. ill never desert him again either.

i guess this what all those people meant by being " saved".

since i faced who i really am, with gods guidance, i truly believe i am saved.

bless you all,

Eliza

Guest Lacey Lynne

Eliza:

What people tell you above about:

The Universalist Unitarian Church

... is very true. We have a UU church about 2-3 miles from our townhouse. Heck, I pass it EVERY DAY, but have yet to go. Why not? Because, I want to do my legal name change before I do go. That'll be soon. Especially because you're in the American South, the UU Church most likely will be your best bet.

Good Luck & Much Peace :friends: Lacey Lynne

Guest Jenny C

When two of you will be there in my name, I'll be with you... So !!! He is with us my dears !!! With and inside all of us... Whatever... Forever !!!

Love to you all !!!

Jenny