• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I Don't Come Here Very Often........

Sally

.......because of the true nature of politics - all politics, not just the United States version of democracy but all political systems.

The main goal is not to run any country, state, county or local government - the main goal is to maintain control, in the US it is get reelected, in a dictatorship it is don't allow a coup but running the country does not come first.

You must remain good relationships with the people who put you into office in the first place - campaign contributors and military leaders have very few of the same needs as the average citizen.

More important than what gets accomplished or not is who gets the credit or the blame.

So when looking for someone to support in the upcoming election - make sure that the campaign contributors do not have an anti GLBT component -better still one indorsed by the GLBT community.

Failing that - vote for the person who seems least likely to do us harm - at the moment Obama appears to be the only candidate that is really sure that we are not threat to destroy America and is appointing us to important offices - the choice seems pretty simple to me.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Nicole163

I second that, my vote will be for Obama...the funny part is pre-transition I leaned toward the right, well now I lean farrrr to the left. I seem to be super liberal can't stand anyone trying to take away any of our rights and supporting free rights and equal protections for everyone. Last election I didn't even vote because I did not like Palin...or McCain now and wasn't voting for a democrat.

Now the tables have turned and we need to ensure that we keep someone in office who will look after what matters to us most...being acknowledged and respected within the law just as everyone else is. No favoritism, just equal protections, rights, and privileges due all. As far as same sex marriage...Call it marriage, civil union, domestic partnership...honestly I don't care as long as it has the same legal implications a conventional marriage provides. Ya we should probably compile a list of officials known to be running that are friendly to this, and especially the ones who aren't.

Nikki

• Admin

Very true, Sally. All of the Republican candidates seem intent on outdoing each other in their distrust, disdain, and, in a couple of cases, outright hatred of the LGBT Community. President Obama, too, has to be careful in what he says in support. Just look at the way he dances around the issue of same sex marriage.

I know conservatives who don't have a problem with LGBT folks; their attitude is, its none of their business, and shouldn't be any of the government's business. But in running for office, intelligent discourse and reasoned opinions take a back seat to knee jerk reactions and red meat slogans meant to feed the hordes looking for someone to blame.

I've had dealings with local politicians most of my career. There are a small few I've admired, but the majority are just interested in how to stay in office, or looking for their next office.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Donna Jean

I find it interesting that people that are big "rights" fans (states rights, tax rights, gun rights) want big government to stick their nose in LGBT rights...

Dee Jay

Guest Karen K

This is a very poinant and somewhat toxic topic.

As a Transwoman, I want nothing "special". All I want is my Constitutionally garanteed Rights: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of (my) Happiness. I want to be judged on the content of my character, my actions, and my abilities. I do not want to be bullied, attacked or denied employment based on some preconceived notion that I am a freak, a pervert, or an affront to God. I am not out to destroy the sanctity of marriage or our way of life.

I am a child of God and a servant of the Lord. I believe that our founding fathers want a government that was limited in scope and didn't intrude on the individuals life. If we could find a candidate that had these principals, then he/she would have my vote.

Laura Jane

I don't vote based upon any special interest litmus test. I learned long ago that politicians love the people who do that cause it doesn't matter what else they do and they can pander to the groups and political activists within the group will seek to use the one issue of a particular interest group to gain that loyalty.

I have far bigger things in my life than this trans stuff.

Guest Donna Jean

Well....unfortunately there are people here where this "trans stuff" is the biggest thing in their life right now...

Donna Jean

Well....unfortunately there are people here where this "trans stuff" is the biggest thing in their life right now...

Yes "right now" so perhaps a bit short sighted to be voiting based upon a single issue.

Guest John Chiv

I already wrote how I felt in another topic about basically the same issue. And those comments apply here as well. Voting single issue and lumping any candidate in generalizations is detrimental. When we take care of everybody, we take care of ourselves. Trans does not define my life, it does not define my vote. There are more pressing things in life like jobs, housing, healthcare and they affect more than trans people and fixing those issues and the economy will take care of all people, including trans people.

Building coalitions and caring about more than just "my issue" should be something all groups should follow. When you care about other's suffering, then yours becomes their as well.

John

Guest Elizabeth K

"Yes "right now" so perhaps a bit short sighted to be voiting based upon a single issue."

Maybe, but if the politicians TAKE AWAY your rights just because it's 'trans stuff' it tends to be rather permanent. I right now have to wait until June to retire in SS because they changed the laws several years ago. Along with millions of other now retirement SS aged, we were not paying attention.

But I agree. Being transsexual is not my choice. And I surely get tired of being transsexual and having to deal with that unreasoning bigotry so many have toward me. Eventually transpeople in society will be accepted, but ONLY because we in this time are fighting for the rights of a transperson to exist and enjoy life like everyone else. If this reform had happened 50 years ago NONE OF US would be worrying about 'trans stuff' - at least not the political problems we now have.

This is NOT a single issue. We transcend into Housing Discrimination, discrimination in Public Accommodations, barriers to updating ID documents, discrimination in Health Care, Job Security, Hate Crimes, treatment in jails and prisons - a hundred other issues.

So be alert

Lizzie

• Admin

Oh, I can think of multiple and sundry issues for not casting my lot with any of the Republican candidates. I automatically weed out the ones who are anti-intellectual; anti-science; the ones who claim "the Bible has all the answers I'll ever need;" the ones who have renamed rich people "job creators," the ones who think compromise is a dirty word, and the ones who hate government intrusion, unless said intrusion makes certain constituents (and themselves) richer.

Using those criteria, the ones left standing are....

None of the above! I'm shocked. :doh1:

Carolyn Marie

Guest John Chiv

Dee Jay,

I think this topic and the other one about Obama being the only option and all Republican candidates not (and those comments were made by more people, not just you) and the reason being given by some folks that LGBT rights will only be protected by Obama. One person, even the president does not have sole power. There are other branches and many other elected officials.

So when I am mentioning the single issue I am responding to making a decision about a future president based on their view on LGBT issues and/or votes. Politicians say anything before elections, politicians change their views and from the point of view of someone who has now been pretty politically involved in at least 3 states, I don't think Dems always come through. There has been a tendency in the LGBT community to see the Dems as the saviors and default vote.

John

• Admin

Prove to them that the GLBT is worth a couple of billion $ in campaign contributions, per candidate, and things will change. If every $$ spent on lowering taxes promises by the candidates were put into the appropriate tax coffers, our government financial problem would be solved!! None of us wants to go through the 200 page thesis I could write on this, so my wisecracks can confuse or confound all by themselves. We are irrelevant to the politicians, but we sound good, they are too busy ducking the issues of "How did we get into this mess?" to come up with a relevant topic for their compaigns.

Guest Donna Jean

The democrats historically work with social issues.....

Republicans historically are pro business......

(I'm saying this as a generality.....)

For LGBT people ......,if the social issues (same sex marriage, work protections, tax issues, medical, ) aren't addressed,

what will it matter if there are good jobs if you can't get one or you can't get a tax break like the corporations or if you get fired from your job because you transitioned or you're put in a cell in jail because you don't have the right marker on your ID? Or you can't marry who you want to or you can't afford to transition?

Donna Jean

Guest Nicole163

Hmm,

All good points here. I think I would honestly vote for Obama again though because what DJ says is true, we can have an even more robust thriving economy like we had before...with jobs everywhere and such, it does us no good if we can be fired...or even more worse forms of discrimination and it be silently legal. Ya I would like rights and protections because any of us can have this happen to us unless you're fortunate to be in a state with protections and such on the books.

Not to mention Obama has actually had events and meetings, made appointments for, and openly supported our plight. I do agree with John though, it takes more than just him though.

/sadface

Nikki

Guest John Chiv

Dee Jay,

Social issues do need to be addressed but when they become the focal point and the only point for some people then they lose sight and perspective.

I am not saying you are one of those people. You and I have often talked that there is the human condition and it includes being trans.

One should not vote for any one based on social issues because there are 2 sides to every issue and we are all not going to agree and both views need to be respected. Social issues tend to be divisive. This thread and others debating social issues are an example and proof of this happening.

Economic issues affect all.

Everyone needs a job, a home , food to eat. And my priorities include a safe community and quality of life.

These needs to be taken care of first then social issues.

The disagreement is not that social change needs to occur; it is basing our entire life and decisions to vote on LGBT issues. The liberal media does not report on pro-LGBT republicans or moderates and so we believe this hype that only Democrats are the ones fighting for us.

And this opinion is based on being a journalist for the LGBT and mainstream press, and this is based on lobbying and being involved in LGBT issues for 28 years. If it was not for the myth that one cannot be conservative and transsexual, I would have transitioned years ago and been in a better financial position.

John

Guest Donna Jean

The disagreement is not that social change needs to occur; it is basing our entire life and decisions to vote on LGBT issues. The liberal media does not report on pro-LGBT republicans or moderates and so we believe this hype that only Democrats are the ones fighting for us.

John

And neither does the conservative media.........I wonder why that is?

Donna Jean

Guest KimberlyF

It will make min difference in my life who's in the WH at the moment.

D&R are two sides of the same coin. They divide up the issues and pick a side then pretend they care. I always vote gridlock. The less they all push through the better.

John

And neither does the conservative media.........I wonder why that is?

Because one side doesn't want the other side to seem to have any reasonable alternative and the other side doesn't want to undercut one of their own candidates within a portion of their constituency.

Guest Lacey Lynne

Forgive me, but here I am. Like Sally, you'll NEVER find me either in the Politics section or in the chatroom. Not because I'm some effete snob, but, rather, because my point of view is so very much counter to the dogmas with which we are ceaselessly and purposefully conditioned by the media, academe and churches.

On the surface of it, what all of you say here is wise and true. However, there's more to it. Just my opinion:

Since I was age 15, I realized that WHERE IT REALLY MATTERS, voting is a sham designed to give the people the idea that they have a say and have some power. At some levels and in some ways, yes, they do. However, in matters of power, clout and control, we have no power and no say whatsoever.

Rights, respect and the like?

Going ...

http://www.whale.to/b/allen_b1.html

Going ...

http://exopoliticshongkong.com/uploads/David_Icke_-_The_Robots__Rebellion.pdf

Gone ...

http://www.rense.com/general30/illuminatidefector.htm

Conspiracy theories? No! Conspiracy facts? Yes!

Truly :thumbsup: Lacey

Postscript:

Lacey, you're a douche bag!!!

Oh, really? For those of you willing to put in the effort, here you go. Try and refute this. Once you've actually read, pondered and analyzed THE WHOLE DOCUMENT, then, if you want to call me a douche bag, that's okay. Let's talk about it ... once you really look into this.

Oh, by the way, the whole thing actually goes much deeper and is much older than stated herein.

Looney :friends: Lacey

Guest KimberlyF

Obama just signed into law NDAA, which Human Rights Watch tagged, "It's something so radical that it would have been considered crazy had it been pushed by the Bush administration."

If Bush were in office, he'd have signed it, and if Obama were in office during Katrina things would have been as screwed up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

This is a very poinant and somewhat toxic topic.

As a Transwoman, I want nothing "special". All I want is my Constitutionally garanteed Rights: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of (my) Happiness. I want to be judged on the content of my character, my actions, and my abilities. I do not want to be bullied, attacked or denied employment based on some preconceived notion that I am a freak, a pervert, or an affront to God. I am not out to destroy the sanctity of marriage or our way of life.

I am a child of God and a servant of the Lord. I believe that our founding fathers want a government that was limited in scope and didn't intrude on the individuals life. If we could find a candidate that had these principals, then he/she would have my vote.

Laura Jane

I like what you said, " I am a child of God and a servant of the Lord" nuff said- AMEN

Mike

• Forum Moderator

"Yes "right now" so perhaps a bit short sighted to be voiting based upon a single issue."

Maybe, but if the politicians TAKE AWAY your rights just because it's 'trans stuff' it tends to be rather permanent. I right now have to wait until June to retire in SS because they changed the laws several years ago. Along with millions of other now retirement SS aged, we were not paying attention.

But I agree. Being transsexual is not my choice. And I surely get tired of being transsexual and having to deal with that unreasoning bigotry so many have toward me. Eventually transpeople in society will be accepted, but ONLY because we in this time are fighting for the rights of a transperson to exist and enjoy life like everyone else. If this reform had happened 50 years ago NONE OF US would be worrying about 'trans stuff' - at least not the political problems we now have.

This is NOT a single issue. We transcend into Housing Discrimination, discrimination in Public Accommodations, barriers to updating ID documents, discrimination in Health Care, Job Security, Hate Crimes, treatment in jails and prisons - a hundred other issues.

So be alert

Lizzie

Lizzie, I totally agree with you 100 % "BE ALERT"

Mike

• Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 143 Guests (See full list)

• Heather Shay
    • April Marie
    • Petra Jane