• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Well, You Decide-Effects of T When You are Older

• Forum Moderator

We get the comment that time is critical in starting HRT and T because the older you get the less it does. I'm 64 and I've been on T just over 9 months. The pic on the left is from the week I started and the one on the R is today. Same place, same camera, pretty much same expression too.

I think it's working okay for me but I'll let you decide.

Not fishing for compliments so you don't have to respond or praise. I'm actually getting pretty secure about it all finally. Not that looks are the most important thing but they do help with confidence. Which IS the most important thing in my opinion.

tb4aftr2.jpg

Johnny

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JJ

• Bulldog1948

• Carolyn Marie

• ~Nova~

JJ, I think the changes have been amazing. There is no question you look all man now. But, you know what is really telling? You're comfortable enough with your image to use it in your avatar now instead of an anonymous icon ... can't wait til I find that comfort level too.

Guest Ney'ite

Oh my Johnny, the one on the right is *no questions asked* - if I were to pass you in public, I would see you as a very kind, warm, older (I mean *no* disrespect) gentleman.

• Forum Moderator

Thanks Ranse. That day will come for you. People told me the same thing and I tried to believe it but often thought it never would. Then one day it began to change. Now I do see a man and I don't doubt what I see or what others see.

Took awhile, but as is often said, it's worth the wait

Johnny

Guest Nicole163

Without a doubt, the changes are amazing. And if you don't mind me saying so, you're physically more attractive now too.

My feelings exactly, you look great! There's something about us when we feel better in our own skin it shows...its reflected in our attitudes, you're a handsome man John, the funny part is you're not done yet! I'm so happy for you.

<3

Nikki

• Admin

The changes are very noticeable, Johnny. Your features seem more angular now, more defined. Before, you had a more rounded, softer face. Your neck, too, is more masculine looking.

You are one very handsome man, Johnny. Of course, I've seen the wonderful smile that you don't show much of in your pics, and heard that great laugh. In a word, you look great! Congrats, my friend. :goodjob:

Love

Carolyn Marie

Hi Johnny,

It really is amazing, the same person but not the same, a lot more masculine and confident. Like the others have said, the new pic exudes a comfort and confidence that was missing in the old one. I'm also reminded how far you've come in taking care of yourself physically, it's an awe inspiring story for sure.

Hugs,

Shari

• Forum Moderator

Johnny, I'm glad that you posted these 2 pics, as they show the profound differance that 9 months of HRT can accomplish for someone transitioning later in life. By comparing and contrasting both pics I can pick out the differances. It's not only your chine but also your entire face including the muscle tissue around your nose. There is also a sparkle of life in your eyes now that wasn't present before.

I do hope that you will continue to share these 2 pics with other older ftms that are hesitant to start treir transition. Maybe you should also post this over on the ftm site so that they can see the changes, Maybe even pin the article, just a thought, but a very helpful I hope.

Mike

Guest John Chiv

Johnny,

What Ranse said about you feeling comfortable to use it in your avatar is definitely a sign of confidence. There comes a point after the changes are visible to us and others that they happen at a more frequent pace or we notice them more. Congratulations on reaching this far and I am looking forward to more updates and pictures. You are looking great bro.

Ranse, what Johnny said to you, I said to him a while back, and someday you will to another man.

John

Guest eliza.d

johnny, what a handsome man you are. if i were in hollywood, id cast you as lead in a western. you look serious, and confident.

very handsome johnny, bless you.

Eliza D

Guest Krisina

You look good, your face isn't round compared to your before photo, masculine now.

I think that the other posts have covered it petty well too, male.

Krisina

Guest NatashaJade

The changes are remarkable, but you have the advantage of adding T and not subtracting it :P But then again, we don't do so badly on all sides, now do we?

xoxo

Guest Isobelle Fox

You are indeed a handsome man, Johnny. The pics are great, and the difference is quite telling. I am most moved by the subtle but meaningful change of expression. Of all the differences, thats the one that conveys the most - not only about the improvement in your general state of being, but also about your masculinity. You look comfortable and healthy, and you look friendly and wise, like someone I would enjoy saying hi to, or having a conversation with. If I were not aware of your status, I would have no question at all about your gender/ sex. Fantastic.

• Forum Moderator

Wow -how can I begin to respond to all those compliments! I don't see myself as handsome but it's nice to hear. Especially from the wonderful and beautiful women here.

Thanks for the suggestion Mike. I hadn't thought of it. I may go ahead and move it them. Be kind of fun to see what another year brings too. Part of it is losing weight has taken the female fat distribution away which I think helps us as long as we are sensible about it. I know as much weight as I have lost doesn't sound sensible but it really was and I have been and am careful. Most of it came off because I exercise-and as tough and determined as I can be I ws able to do that only because I found something I enjoyed.

I think some form of exercise for FTMs really makes a difference. The T gives us the potential but we still have to do the work in order to masculinize as much as we can.

I'd love to see some of the other older FTMs-30s , 40s etc share here too if you will

Johnny

Guest John Chiv

Johnny,

You have worked hard, in addition to the hormones, to get where you are. You deserve the wonderful feedback. When I was surfing the internet for information, all I saw was younger guys. It made me think I would never look like them, and that T would work on them but not me.

Guess time showed differently. I have deleted most of the pics from last year so don't have any to show contrast. I think this is a good thread for people to post. A year, two years, five years, there are differences.

John

Thanks John: I like others definitely see the changes and I also see that the real you is here both body and soul... this is encouraging because I am older too and I have not yet begun hormone and may not begin for a few years. I am so proud of you and grateful that you are sharing your journey and success with us... Tommye

As I have said in other topics about hormone effects, I think you should give yourself more credit than just attribute it to hormones. Clearly there is a clothing change, subtle but one que. Look like a hair style change which while subtle but went from a female type cut to a male cut and that has a big effect. If I recall correctly you lost 150 pounds and that will certainly take some of the roundness out one's face. So give yourself some credit for what you have done.

As for the effectivness of hormones on older trans guys, my first hand observations are limited, but the ones I seen had very radical effects. I was at an event once where a surgeon was giving a talk about FTM surgery and then private consults for FTM so there were many trans guys. One of the guys, older, I believe 55\ had been on T for just a year and had a a solid beard. The other guys attending didn't know he was trans. His feeling on the subject was that post menopaual (or post hysto) FTM react faster to T because they don't have E fighting it. I haven't seen any scientific basis for that claim but it does sound logical.

I tend to not like pictures of the "how well do I pass type" since pictures don't mean much, but I will also complement you on getting good A and B comparison with similar pose, posiiton and porportions. If it weren't for the left hand one being just slightly out of focus causing a softening effect the comparison would be perect. All too often the position and poses are radically different which can distort impressions much more.

Guest Masculinity

You look good, honestly. Just like any other 60 year old male that you see in the streets. I realized that your female facial structure changed to a male's facial structure.

Guest Kael147

Hey Johnny,

You look great man! I love the before and now pics because it gives me a lot of hope! It is great to know that the effects of t will likely still work just fine!

Thanks for the post!

Kael