• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I Must Be Making Progress

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

Yesterday was a very good day for me in terms of confidence.

I spoke with a cousin of my wife's on the phone. She has heard me before as Carolyn. After the usual "happy new year" chatter and talk about what's new, I gave the phone back to my wife, and she finished up the conversation.

Later, she told me that her cousin had mentioned that my voice sounded much more feminine. :)

We hosted my BIL, SIL and my wife's niece for a holiday gathering, and went out for lunch. Towards the end of their visit, my SIL told me that my voice sounded much nicer, and asked if I had been getting voice lessons. :D

To receive two such compliments, when I hadn't even mentioned any concerns about my voice, has really boosted my confidence level. I still get "sir'd" over the phone a lot, but once in a while I get ma'amed. Its a work in progress, but progress seems to be the operative word.

HUGS

Carolyn marie

• Forum Moderator

You sound great Carolyn and definitely female to me. I have noticed a gradual softening. Never remember to say so.

The phone can pick up neuances sometimes that aren't apparent so that may be where the Sirs are coming from but I think you sound good. It can also distort in ways that make some people sound more masculine than they are. I used to get Sired now and then over the years past and I was working to sound more feminine all the time back then because I thought I had to.

I'm glad others are noticing too. It always feels good when others notice our hard work.

Johnny

• Admin

Just wait till you answer the phone and you are into the conversation when you realize that the caller thinks that you are your wife.

LOL! That'll be the day!

Carolyn Marie

Guest Donna Jean

Yup.......even if the volume, pitch and depth doesn't change, the general presentation will ...and that is what cues others that you're a woman....and you are!

Huggs

Dee Jay

• Admin

Thanks, everyone. Y'all are very sweet. :)

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Just wait till you answer the phone and you are into the conversation when you realize that the caller thinks that you are your wife.

I have not thought my voice is that good but in the last month that has started to happen a lot with me.

Having heard you speak I think you sound great Carolyn.

Mia

• Admin

That is really awesome!!!!! :D

I think so, too, hon. Thanks

Just a reminder to those transwomen still working on their voices, its been said here, by Drea and others who should know, that voice is one of the hardest things for us to perfect. Progress often comes slowly, and takes lots of practice, sometimes years. I've been full time only since May, so patience and practice seems to pay dividends.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• 2 months later...

Hi Carolyn

I've been taking voice lessons from Kathy Perez and I often answer the phone at work with my feminine voice just to practice. I love fooling my Executive Assistant. She will call my office looking for my partner in crime and several times I've answered her. Later I've run into her and she is trying to figure out who is the woman answering my office phone. I'm quit pleased with the progress of my voice. It's the toughest part of transitioning as a woman though for all of us. We need to learn how to talk like women do. Men talk with stacato type of speach patterns and woman speak much more clearly with a faster pace and a higher pitch. I'm getting the right pitch and slowly am working on volume to project my voice. The key to a feminine voice is practice, practice, and even more practice,

Kathryn