• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

nails

Guest kimberly c

Guest kimberly c

Hi Girls, I would love to grow more feminine looking nails, just cant stop biting or picking at them. Does anyone know

a technique to help me stop this behavior.

Love Kim

Guest Audrey Elizabeth

Nail polish. Every time I put the stuff on the nail biting stops. Mainly because it does not taste good and second every time I go in for a chew I smell the polish and I stop. My nail biting is the kind where I am totally unaware of it so for me anything that brings my attention to it usually does the trick.

Audrey

• Admin

Some guys are getting clear Gel Nails done, and living to tell about it. So it may work for non-full time trans girls. Likewise acrylic nails can be clear too. Both are fairly tooth mark resistant. My own nails are pretty thin, and for hobbies and stuff I used chemicals that weakened them so break off was at less than a 16th of an inch beyond the quick. My acrylics are now four months old, and free from fungus infection, and while I keep them fairly short, with the right nail polish are a knock out.

CD folks like the non-permanent stick on nail types, but for me they would never work because of a hereditary nail deformation (ridging) and a nail that grew back funny when I tore it off in an accident.

Guest Amanda Whyte

I have been trying the thumb sucking stuff and it only partially works. I have to put a lot on to taste anything. Next time I get a chance I think I am going to try vaseline. It tastes bad and my wife says it should help the cuticles.

Guest Sarah Michelle

I get acrylic nails and you are not going to bite through them easily. You could keep them short and nobody would really know the difference.

Those are pretty nails Autumn.

Guest Robin Winter

I'm kinda jealous...I want acrylics. On my hands AND feet. It's not that expensive, I'm just too much of a coward to do it. I managed to work myself up to a pedicure without the color, but I made my wife go with me lol.

Guest Amberley_Vail

Even if your nails are short, if you find a colour that works theres a couple of things you can do to make them appear more feminine. If you leave a tiny gap between your nail and finger all round, the area in colour, and hence the area that gets attention appears smaller and more feminine, and the gap should be small enough that it doesnt just look like you missed a bit.

I will be the first to admit, I LOVE having long nails. Now i am not talking shanequa long, but about a quarter inch. THANKFULLY I have always had strong nails. On a side note, back when I spent all the years in guy mode I could get away with longer nails as when working on cars and getting strange looks from people I would just tell them I am lazy to grab a screwdriver and then demonstrate "who needs a flathead when you have my nails."

But back on topic, I used to bite my nails and such and i sort of stopped without even realizing it right around the time I started HRT. Might be the fact that I wasn't all nerves anymore.

Now I usually lose a nail every couple of weeks playing racquetball.... Found a whole new way to ruin my day.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Janice Lynn

Is there any way to repair a split nail that occurred when I was in an

accident years and years ago. I try hard, but any stress or impact

on that nail just seems to recreate the split and it takes months and

months (it seems) for it to grow back again.

Guest CharissaEm

I used to bite my nails as well. I've been avoiding them ever since I began transitioning. Personally , I just watch youtube videos of tutorials on how to do cool stuff with nails making them more feminine . Very informative as well.

Guest Inverse

Nail polish worked wonders. Try clear nail polish, also, though it's OCD behavior, I keep a nail file nearby, and when I want to bite~ I start filing them or buffing them to make them shiny with a nail buffer. I ended up doing it a looot when I was trying to quit biting my nails. It doesn't help having a massive oral fixation/fetish, but you can definitely manage it. Once you see your long pretty nails, your need to bite them will diminish. Gum is a huge help too~

That's right, I'm suggesting you sit down, get on the phone, pop on some bubblegum and do your nails. x3~ I'm sure you can manage it. <#

There is a way to fix a split with a clear coat of acrylic polish and place a small Piece of nylon hose cut to the shape of the nail. Place the nylon on the wet polish and let it dry. Nylon is VERY strong. Then put a few

More coats of acrylic on letting each one dry completely. Sand it smooth but. Not too deep. Then use a color over all this. It works.

• 3 months later...
Guest Dominique11

I love having fun painting my nails i am very artistic so the artwork is amazing i stopped biting with aloe and clear nail polish it tastes terrible

hugs

Dominique

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Hi Girls, I would love to grow more feminine looking nails, just cant stop biting or picking at them. Does anyone know

a technique to help me stop this behavior.

Wear gloves.

Identify why you're biting or picking at your nails, it's usually from being nervous or bored. Next time you catch yourself biting or picking at them, stop yourself. Nails won't grow if you keep biting them and you want to have pretty nails like the rest of us, don't you?

Guest BreanneB

Ok from a recovering Nail bitter i did the shalack or what ever its called. It is like the gel but harder. Plus once I get my nails done nice it takes away some of the temptaions to bite as you dont want to ruin nice nails. I even get color because you know what. I only get one life time to be me so !@#$ what everyone else its your life girls

I just had acrylic nails installed today.They are a light pink that matches my skin and have a shimmer. It's the first time I've worn any long nails, let alone acrylic. It's amazing how many things you do with your fingers that you take for granted. I'm guessing it's going to be an adventure putting on makeup on Monday.

Jenny

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

It's amazing how many things you do with your fingers that you take for granted. I'm guessing it's going to be an adventure putting on makeup on Monday.

I get mine active length so they're not very long but still pretty. As a result I'm still able to do everything I used to without any problems. Through practice you get used to doing things with the pads of your fingers instead of the nails. But yeah, if they're giving you problems have them cut down shorter.