• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

HRT shaving your face with a disposable razor.

Guest Krisina

Guest Krisina

Shaving the face with a disposable razor.

I have some questions about shaving with a disposable razors if you're on hormones, mtf. 

If you're mtf and on hormones I am guessing your skin would be thinner than it would be if you were not on hormones. 

Questions:  

When you are shaving with a disposable razor are you more susceptible to cuts than you were before hrt. 

Have you found that you cut easier when shaving with a disposable razor ? 

I'm not on hormones and usually I use a electric razor.  When I want a really close shave I use a disposable razor.  I'm wondering what the difference would be on HRT.

Thanks

Krisina

Guest SuperKali

I am unable to use a disposable razor because they just don't really work for me. I use a 5 blade Gillette instead and even then it still hurts. I wish I could afford hair removal..

Guest Robin Winter

Krisina, after 8+ months HRT, I haven't noticed that I cut any more than I used to. I've noticed that skin everywhere else on my body damages much easier, but so far not my face. However, my use of a good conditioner instead of shaving foam or gel might in part be the reason I don't have a problem, it leaves a very slick surface on skin to make shaving much more comfortable.

Guest Krisina

Krisina, after 8+ months HRT, I haven't noticed that I cut any more than I used to. I've noticed that skin everywhere else on my body damages much easier, but so far not my face. However, my use of a good conditioner instead of shaving foam or gel might in part be the reason I don't have a problem, it leaves a very slick surface on skin to make shaving much more comfortable.

Well that is what I was hoping to hear, that you haven't cut anymore that you used to.

That was a concern I had about HRT as I really like the feel of a smooth face and the disposable razor blades help to do that.

I expect with the rest of the body it would be more susceptible to scratches and bruising.

I usually shave my face with my electric shaver then wet my face with water and wet the my five blade disposable razor before shaving. I've never been one for adding other stuff while shaving, besides I can see where I am shaving still with just water on my face. My face seems fine afterwards having used just water.

Krisina

Guest Krisina

I am unable to use a disposable razor because they just don't really work for me. I use a 5 blade Gillette instead and even then it still hurts. I wish I could afford hair removal..

Disposable razors have never really worked for me all by themselves either. I really do like my electric shaver.

I will say this though. It is easier if you have shaved with the electric shaver as close as you can first. Then, use the razor blades like 5 blade Gillette for an even smoother face.

Krisina

Guest Lacey Lynne

Krisina:

Well, in 2 days, I'm 2 years and 1 month on HRT, and I shave my face EVERY DAY with a disposable razor. Best modality I've found yet ... better than the 5-bladers and 3-bladers I've used. Also, I shave my legs once a week and torso twice a week (could to thrice a week but doing so would REALLY blow) ... also with a disposable 1-blader.

Doing so this far into HRT, the face burns like fire with rinsing. The torso REALLY burns like fire with rinsing ... especially the breasts ... after shaving.

I see my HRT doctor next Monday and will ask for prescriptions for numbing and the like to begin having electrolysis.

Peace :friends: Lacey

Postscript:

Radio Station KGON (best REAL rock station I've EVER heard) just played ZZ Top's:

* She's Got Legs

* Heard it on the X.

Though I live a completely alcohol-free and drug-free lifestyle and was NEVER a drinker, really, I DO know that ZZ Top (in their heyday) did about the best drinking music ever. When they really get cranking, your I.Q. goes DOWN, and your passions go UP ... even WITHOUT alcohol! With alcohol, well, don't even ask! The Devil's Music, I'll tell you! The trouble with The Devil is that he throws AWESOME parties, man! Heaven help me!

Guest Krisina

Krisina:

Well, in 2 days, I'm 2 years and 1 month on HRT, and I shave my face EVERY DAY with a disposable razor. Best modality I've found yet ... better than the 5-bladers and 3-bladers I've used. Also, I shave my legs once a week and torso twice a week (could to thrice a week but doing so would REALLY blow) ... also with a disposable 1-blader.

Doing so this far into HRT, the face burns like fire with rinsing. The torso REALLY burns like fire with rinsing ... especially the breasts ... after shaving.

I see my HRT doctor next Monday and will ask for prescriptions for numbing and the like to begin having electrolysis.

Peace :friends: Lacey

Your getting a prescription for numbing for electrolysis. I thought everyone just used Tylenol extra strength and Emla. I will be curious to know what he prescribes you.

Krisina

Guest Donna Jean

Me? HRT about 3 years and I've had 65 hours of electrolysis with at least that much to go.....

I've been shaving for ages with disposables....Rarely do I ever get a cut or nick....

Dee Jay

Guest Krisina

Me? HRT about 3 years and I've had 65 hours of electrolysis with at least that much to go.....

I've been shaving for ages with disposables....Rarely do I ever get a cut or nick....

Dee Jay

Good to know, thanks DJ. About your electrolysis, I'm sure you will be more than happy when all the electrolysis is finished too.

Krisina

Guest Stormrider2112

I use a Gilette Fusion (5 blades) and Edge Pro Gel, and it works very well. I only get cuts if I do something stupid (like doing a 180º without actually lifting the razor off your face...). I only need to shave every other day or so (my facial hair grows wicked slow).

And I can't wait until I get electrolysis finished...but at least I don't have a lot of hair on my neck...

Guest Karen K

I've been on HRT for 16 months and have had 15 or 16 laser session. Almost all of the dark hairs are history except for the stubborn ones under my nose. All thats left is a multitude of gray hairs (electrolisys) which I take care of with a Gillette 2 blade disposable and Skin-timates shave gel. I do not nick any more now than before HRT, however, my face sometimes feels raw after shaving.

As for my chest, arms and back of hands, I use an epilator.I shave my legs with a Venus 3 blade razor and Skin-timates shave gel. My legs stay smooth for 4 or 5 days!

Laura Jane

Guest NatashaJade

I was never one to cut myself shaving. I always thought that people who did weren't doing it right. I shave every other day or so in the shower with a five blade razor and I use Olay Body Wash which leaves my face pretty soft and smooth. For my body, I use a Venus disposable, same body wash. Still no cuts and no problems.

xoxo

• Forum Moderator

HRT here for 6 + months, I use disposable razor for face and Satan Care gel, no problems. I also use a lotion afterwards. The growth has slowed for me and it's perhaps a little softer now.

I am undergoing weekly electrolysis sessions however. Grey scurge is going bye bye.

Cindy -

Guest onmyway

Shaving the face with a disposable razor.

I have some questions about shaving with a disposable razors if you're on hormones, mtf.

If you're mtf and on hormones I am guessing your skin would be thinner than it would be if you were not on hormones.

Questions:

When you are shaving with a disposable razor are you more susceptible to cuts than you were before hrt.

Have you found that you cut easier when shaving with a disposable razor ?

I'm not on hormones and usually I use a electric razor. When I want a really close shave I use a disposable razor. I'm wondering what the difference would be on HRT.

Thanks

Krisina

I too would like to know this aswell.

Guest JenniferRBG

Best bet if you have to shave facial hair is to do it in a hot shower. Stay with a double blade disposible. More blades than two are simply a waste of money. Try running the water as hot as possible. On final shaving, stretch the skin and go against the grain. Simply place the razor i the shower spray near the nozzle to clean.

I f you can stand it after, take a ligth/medium grain of sand paper or emery cloth and sand your face. Sounds worse than it is. It sands away remaining stubble below the skin. Lightly though, you don't want to bleed.

If you really want to look good, after all this, go directly to a beauty salon for a facial. You will end up with incredibly soft skin. But you cant do this ily. It essentially takes of dead and top level skin.

Highly suggested you have a mirror in the shower. Treat it with Rain-X (an automobile windshield cleaner) which will keep it from fogging or collecting water. Without the mirror risk of cuts increases. t the sink, after, if you shave, your risk of cuts also increases. i just use a standard bar of soap. Shave cream dulls the bladem clogs faster and preventsaa close shave. Do legs, underarms and everything else in the shower as well. For me, a 2 blade razor lasts at last twice as long as a 5 blade one. 5 blade is faster bur only for a short time.

Guest JenniferRBG

You girls should also look into an epilator or home electrolysis. I havean epilator and simply use it when watching tV. Pretty painless unless my back, or it gabs the skin in the groin area into the roller. You need stretch the skin to avoid that. And s not the problem. iy is the inside of thigh near the femural artery.

On the home electrolysis, mine cost about $40. Works very well. B ut here is the problem. One hair at a time and each about a minute. And of corse hair is in triplicate. So over a couple months, three times each. You'll want something faster. i know of one for about $100

Having it done gets expensive. And waxing or sugar still grows back in 2 to 3 times the time of shaving.